Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default A bit drafty ...

http://community.post-gazette.com/bl...it-drafty.aspx
Blog and Gold
A bit drafty ...

Gerry Dulac's piece in today's PG indicates that while Steelers have essentially locked up the Big Snack for the remainder of his career, they will still be very much looking for his successor in this year's draft -- one that is crazy deep with defensive lineman.

Uber-stud from Nebraska Nda-blah-blah-blah Suh will be long gone by the time the Steelers pick at no. 18, as will Oklahoma's man-beast Gerald McCoy, but Dulac says Steelers will be very much in the running for a pair of SEC behemoths, Alabama's Terrence Cody and Tennessee's Dan WIlliams, as well as Penn State's Jared Odrick.

Williams, or "Big Dan" as he goes by, seems like a sharp kid -- at least in this interview he does -- and Sports Illustrated's Don Banks has the Steelers taking the Volunteer in his most recent mock draft as does ESPN's Todd McShay.

Odrick was the Big Ten's Defensive Player of the Year in 2009 -- a pretty nice accolade that no less than LaMarr Woodley and former Steeler Larry Foote earned in college and as Dulac noted, has plenty of versatility -- he can play tackle and nose, so he could be valuable as Hampton, Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel continue to get long in the tooth.

Cody, however, looked like the Biggest Loser contestant's before picture at his senior bowl weigh-in (warning: you may stab your eyes aht after looking at this) and better get it in gear and hire R. Lee Ermey to be his personal trainer, lest he be this year's Andre Smith (what is it with these slovenly 'Bama guys?). NFL.com's Bucky Brooks acknowledges Cody's weight issue, but still has the Steelers taking him.

You could fill a Martian crater with all the things I don't know about football, but I just don't see this one happening. Mike Tomlin has already publicly made an example of perennial All-Pro Hampton about his weight, so why would he willingly taking a kid where weight is already an issue and will continue to be throughout his career?

Check out some highlights and features on Williams, Odrick and Cody, below:

Where do you think the Steelers should go in the draft? And what do you think of these three guys? Sound off in the comments ...
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547
Default Re: A bit drafty ...

I'd like to grab Chad Jones. We have to think about finding the next Troy.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

I wouldnt mind the Steelers taking a DT in the first round, but I think the only one that I would want after the first 2 would be Terrence Cody. As big as he is and as much as they worked with Casey Hampton and got him down to playing weight I think the Steelers would be a great fit for Cody myself. But is D line more important than our offensive line or secondary? Not sure where the Steelers will go, but I am almost ready to bet that it will be Best Available Player.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

I'd be fine with Odrick. But he's a perfect fit at DE not at NT. 6-5 300 is too lanky to be a Nose tackle. He looks really lean as well. Could be a ST demon in his first year. Too bad there's no more wedges to bust!

I'd be fine with Williams in the first or Cody maybe in the early second (move up to 2.8 maybe?) as well. My feeling is that the team will try to get by with some sort of project guy in the later rounds/UDFA since they just signed Hampton.