Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-01-2010, 06:18 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers’ Tyrone Carter Q&A

Steelers’ Tyrone Carter Q&A
March 1, 4:47 AMPittsburgh Steelers Examiner
Chris Adamski
http://www.examiner.com/x-37788-Pitt...rone-Carter-QA

Continuing the wildly popular series of Examiner Exclusive Steelers Q&A’s, we’ll stick with pending unrestricted free agents. This is done simply, to be honest, because they’re going to going to go to waste if they’re not posted now.

Even though he was a one-man wrecking crew in 1999 when his Minnesota Golden Gophers upset my then-No. 2 Penn State Nittany Lions, Tyrone Carter has always been a favorite of mine. Good guy, approachable – and he’s managed to remain an integral part of the Steelers for the past six seasons now. He’s played in every single game since being signed off the street midway through the 2004 season, and he’s been a starter in many, showing remarkable staying power on the league’s consistently best defense in that time.

His greatest test, however, in remaining a Steeler comes this offseason as an unrestricted free agent and the team looking to get younger and for a revamp of what was somewhat exposed as a thin secondary last season. But don’t count Carter out; after all, who would have thought in 2004 that he’d still be here more than five years later.

Back in December, Carter spoke for a few minutes after a practice in the locker room of the Steelers practice facility on Pittsburgh’s South Side. At this point, it’s hoped disclaimers ranging from the fact the chat was all positive in nature and was not “threatening” nor “hard-hitting” shouldn’t be necessary…

What do you like to do when you have some free time?
My free time, man I fish, I fish and spend a lot of time with my kids. During the season I don’t have that much free time. I’m either watching film or something, working out. Other than that, that’s about it.

You grew up in Florida, what kind of fishing do you do there?
Bass fishing, ocean fishing with my wife, she loves to do that. And it lets my kids go out and ride their four-wheelers and stuff.
I was taken fishing out here in the rivers. But y’all don’t got many fish up here. There’s no big fish out here. There are challenges going fishing here; you have to go trout fishing or something like that. But that isn’t as fun as getting my boat and challenging myself to get a big largemouth bass, pulling him up and seeing how big he is. Here you go out and catch a little rout or smallmouth. The biggest bass around here are about 2 pounds. It’s like a grim in Florida.

Kind of like when the Bassmaster Classic was here a few years ago?
It was like five pounds was the winner? You can catch a five-pounder in Florida with one fish! You’ve got a lot of grass there, that’s heated. That’s why they like it there.

How’d you get so into fishing?
I learned fishing ever since I was a kid, from my grandfather and my father. I always said the first thing I’ll do when I get some money is get me a house, get me a boat and a truck to pull it, and that’s all I need.

You’ve been in the NFL for 10 seasons. Did you ever imagine you’d last this long?
Ten is a long time, that just lets you know you’re blessed. God’s been looking out for me, I take good care of my body and being accountable. In this league that’s the main thing – you have to be accountable and keep going out and making plays to make your career go on. I think the older I got, the more wise I got and the better knowledge of the game, to understand it and can play it at a higher level, no matter what your age might be. I don’t think I lost a step, I just gained some wisdom and knowledge of game so I can play fast.

And to end up with a team that’s won more Super Bowls than anyone, and to win two yourself, you’ve got to feel lucky…
Not lucky. I’d just say blessed. Lucky is a word you use when you don’t understand spiritual aspects of it. God has a plan for each and every person on this team. For me, he had a plan bring me here, and I’m continued to be blessed to be here and have some success and not only that to win two Super Bowl rings. Because all my life, I never won a state championship game, in football or basketball, in college I just went to one bowl in four years and didn’t win that game. Then I get in the NFL, I get two Super Bowl rings. So I just think I was blessed by God.

You mentioned the spiritual aspect of your life. How big a part of your life is that?
I was always spiritual. My grandma raised me up in the spiritual realm. And once I was a kid I began to understand the bible and my faith. And I think that’s just taken me farther and farther.
It helped me out a lot, gave me a different perspective on life, because everyone has his own challenges and hand that you’ve been dealt. Some people’s hands are different than others, but it’s all about how you deal with the hand that you get. Do you sit around and pout and look and see this guy’s living better than you and stuff like that? Or do you start looking at the total outcome of it, that’s his hand that you’ve been dealt, you’ve got to make the most out of it?

Are you part of any charitable causes?
I have my T Carter Connection where I give back to the community, where mainly I have a fundraiser, a turkey giveaway, a Christmas giveaway and mainly I try to show my community that I know what it’s like not to have and I was blessed to be provided for so I can give back now.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
xbroughneck
Team Captain

Member Number: 5743
Default Re: Steelers’ Tyrone Carter Q&A

Nice guy.

Unfortunately the Steelers can and should do better. I hope he finds a new home that makes him very happy.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

seems like a good guy. he is really good against the run but unfortunatly he cant cover worth
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141

See ya later TY thanks!
Old 03-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
JEFF4i
Banned

Member Number: 10645

Hmmm, I like the guy, and he's still got it (see pick-6 in Denver game). But alas, we need a shift to younger.
JEFF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:26 AM   #6
SteelerRob
Water Boy

Member Number: 15277

Yeah, but that pick 6 was while Troy was on the field was it not?....didn't see much to impress once he was re-injured.....
SteelerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
JEFF4i
Banned

Member Number: 10645

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerRob View Post
Yeah, but that pick 6 was while Troy was on the field was it not?....didn't see much to impress once he was re-injured.....
Yeah, but that goes for most of our players.
JEFF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Carter does OK when he's filling in for Clark, but that's it. He isn't even passable at the other safety position. We're going to need more than that out of a backup.