Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332
Default Sleeping Problems

Ok these days i can rarely get to sleep.

4.37am it is now i tried go sleep but couldn't...

I always stay up and watch the NFL, and other college games or sport games until at least 3-6am each week night but for awhile i have not been doing it...

... now i try go sleep and i can't i think it's a result of doing this for over 7 months.... :( i keep watching steelers until 5am if i have to..

WTF

Any help please, like anything that helps u go sleep drink wise (i dont want no drugs) ect ect
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150
Default Re: Sleeping Problems

I have the same problem, though not always as bad, usually I don't get tired til 2 am, and even when I am tired I can't fall asleep right away. Sometimes if I don't get enough sleep or am under a lot of stress I get what is apparently called "sleep paralysis" best thing that works for me is to try and eliminate distractions from your room (keep your Computer and TV out of your bedroom)

I did this when I was in college up in PA and it helped alot, but when I transferred back home to a local college I had had to put all my things back in my bedroom and all the distractions are back again.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

I too have trouble sleeping and honestly the only thing that has ever helped me was taking sleeping pills. I don't like to though because they make me feel like crap in the morning and irritate my heartburn.

Drinking milk and watching my favorite episodes of MST3K or watching my favorite games sometimes helps...something about them just make me drift off to sleep easily at times. Drinking alcohol is the worst for me...it's almost as bad as caffeine if I drink before bed time. It doesn't make me tired and just makes me have to pee every 10 minutes lol. I've also tried not sleeping without the TV on or music playing, and that makes it worse as I sleep next to a snorer. I've tried earplugs for that as well and that almost bothers me worse because you can hear your heartbeat and the earplugs rustle when you move.

It's quite annoying....I don't sleep long most of the time either, even when I'm given a chance to sleep in. I'm usually up by 7 am no matter what (if I do fall asleep). Best thing I can recommend is if you can't fall asleep, get up and leave the room and go sit and read a book/magazine until you get sleepy again and then try to lay down and clear your mind. If you don't fall asleep within 20 minutes, try that again. This is the best advice I got from my doctor outside of taking medication.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #4
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Other advice I've been given (and it does help some), is exercise (if you don't already), no caffeine after 5pm, don't drink after 7 or 8 (if you drink), cut down on sugary foods and junk foods and don't eat them late at night, and try to do something that relaxes you before bedtime...get into a routine. It might never be perfect, but sometimes an extra hour or two means a great deal lol.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:01 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,303 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I have a problem where I can't sleep past 4 am of the mornings. Seems like my eyes just pop wide open at that time.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:00 AM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I'm not a doctor, but from reading your posts around here and your obvious insomnia, sounds to me like you may have some anxiety going on. I've had anxiety since my second radiation course in 2002 and take Ativan for it. However, since you don't want to deal with medication, you might try an over-the-counter herbal remedy called Valerian Root which works like a charm. Take 2 capsules about 30-45 minutes before bed. There are no side effects or that "groggy feeling" in the morning.

Hope this helps.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:27 AM   #7
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
I have a problem where I can't sleep past 4 am of the mornings. Seems like my eyes just pop wide open at that time.
I'm the same way. I hardly ever sleep past 4:30 am.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:54 AM   #8
BigBen'sSwagger
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15463

I know what you have it's STEELERSFEVER!!! You are addicted and not sure if there is a cure.

I am right there with Galax and Texassteel no probelms going to sleep just can't stay asleep.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #9
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBen'sSwagger View Post
I know what you have it's STEELERSFEVER!!! You are addicted and not sure if there is a cure.
lol.

Quote:
HometownGal
I don't think i have anxiety i had it checked ages ago (sleeping problem) and it was just dna i guess.... but it use to not be able to sleep till 2am.... it doesnt help when some people outisde slam their houses and scream and dispute how bad there marriage is it keep me away every night and i need total darkness in my room to fall asleep.

yea

Quote:
SteelCityMom
I always drink the monster enegery drinks but never after about 7pm there to delicious to last that long.... i like to watch movies or listen to music going to sleep it helps but recently it just become so much annoyance.

I never knew some other people would have it as well.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
I don't think i have anxiety i had it checked ages ago (sleeping problem) and it was just dna i guess.... but it use to not be able to sleep till 2am.... it doesnt help when some people outisde slam their houses and scream and dispute how bad there marriage is it keep me away every night and i need total darkness in my room to fall asleep.
You may have had the anxiety issue checked "ages ago" but you're a few years older now and may want to have a doc check you once again. Imho - you have quite a few of the classic symptoms. You could also be suffering from some depression. Anxiety and depression aren't "mental illnesses" but simply systemic disorders caused by imbalance of certain chemicals in the brain.

It couldn't hurt trying the Valerian Root - you can get it relatively cheap at just about any drug store or whatever you call 'em over there in merry ole' England.

I also agree with SCM above with regard to drinking some warm milk before bedtime. It is very soothing, as is chamomile tea.

Here's to some better sleep ahead!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote