Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 3.2.2010

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10061/1039708-66.stm
Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 3.2.2010
Tuesday, March 02, 2010
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ed Bouchette: Welcome all, let's begin.
AtllovestheSteelers: Ed, any chances the Steelers try and sign A. Rolle?
Ed Bouchette: Rolle is due a $4 million bonus if he is on Arizona's roster Friday, plus an $8 million salary. The Cardinals will release him and hope to re-sign him at a lower price but with a long-term deal. Even if they do not, Rolle is way, way out of the Steelers' price range.

Amos_P_Swanson: Does the Whisenhunt signing present a problem to the Steelers about extending Tomlin?
Ed Bouchette: It may, if Mike Tomlin wants more than Ken Whisenhunt. My guess is that he will wind up signing with the Steelers for less than Whis will get with the Cardinals. As Ron Cook pointed out in his column today, the Steelers do not believe in letting someone else set a "market.''

Father_Son_CLASH: Ed: as far as you know, is Ben authorized to call audibles? if yes, did Ben call any past season on a play he didn't like.
Ed Bouchette: Yes, he can call audibles and he may have called a few on a play he did not like but audibles are normally called by a QB when a defense shows something that would have a greater probability of thwarting the play that is called -- e.g., bringing a safety up tight to the front when a run play is called or dropping him into a cover 2 when a deep pass is called.

bubs: With San Diego parting ways with LT and now Darren Sproles, do you think its a foregone conclusion that the Bolts will make a play for FWP?
Ed Bouchette: I would expect Willie Parker to get some offers, but not as a starter.

tomk: for a number 15 overall pick is Timmons a bust, or do you think he has the talent and intangibles to have a breakout year next season?
Ed Bouchette: I would hardly label Timmons a bust. Huey Richardson was a bust. Timmons, I believe, is in the wrong role as a mack (Foote) linebacker. He either should play the buck (Farrior) or play outside.

steelmann58: Hi Ed what do you think will happen with Ryan Clark signed before FA?
Ed Bouchette: I think you left out a few words. What will happen with Ryan Clark if he is NOT signed before Friday? I think he will then sign elsewhere. And the way talks are not going with him, I expect he will not be signed by Friday.

Meredith: If you could make one bold prediction about the Steelers' upcoming season (with regards to anything -- personnel changes, record, division, etc.), what would it be?
Ed Bouchette: I don't know that I would make any kind of bold prediction. Would Ramon Foster starting at guard be considered bold? Ryan Mundy at free safety? A 10-6 record?

Polamalu43: Ed, yesterday you said Weatherspoon would be a good fit for Steelers, he is actually rated 4th best ILB. If Spikes from Florida is there at 18, do you see the Steelers going after him?
Ed Bouchette: I did not write that story, Gerry Dulac did. And what's wrong with being a good fit even if you are the fourth-best ILB? I, however, do not believe the Steelers should draft an inside linebacker on the first round.

Vinny V.: Ed, do you think the combine really matters in terms of picking a player or do you think it's mostly hype
Ed Bouchette: For years I've been told by different personnel men that the main thing the combine offers to teams is the chance to get the medical information. However, I believe scouts and personnel directors get seduced by some of the performances at the combine. It's not like there are fewer "mistakes" made in the draft since they've held the combine.

steelmann58: Hi Ed What positions might the steelers target in FA.
Ed Bouchette: I would not look for them to target much in free agency. If a decent running back at a decent price (no, not LaDainian) comes along they will look at him. Maybe a young free safety, the way they acquired Ryan Clark. And perhaps a special teams player or blocking tight end.

AtllovestheSteelers: Which position of need on Defense do you think would be the easiest to fill with a free agent signing? CB ILB or Dlineman
Ed Bouchette: Decent cornerbacks are hard to find and are extremely expensive. I would think they might find a backup inside linebacker the way they found Keyaron Fox.

Polamalu43: Ed, do you see Keenan Lewis and Burnett getting a fair shot at starting next year
Ed Bouchette: Yes, I think both will get a fair shot at starting and it would not surprise me if one wound up at safety.

tomk: Did the front office expect more out of Burnett and lewis when they drafted them? It seems they have been written off as possible starters anytime soon.
Ed Bouchette: I would not write them off. Lewis was drafted on the third round and Burnett on the fifth. Troy Polamalu was drafted in the middle of the first round and did not start as a rookie.

Amos_P_Swanson: I'm surprised to hear the Steelers may not be tendering Darnell Stapleton. What do you know about this?
Ed Bouchette: It would surprise me if they did tender him. He's coming off IR and they have many bodies at guard, including Trai Essex and Ramon Foster.

AtllovestheSteelers: I know the Steelers want FWP back but do you think the Steelers should go in a different direction and draft a RB? I like Wille a lot but i just dont think he is a backup
Ed Bouchette: I think used in the right role, Willie Parker could still be an asset for the Steelers. However, I believe he will sign elsewhere.

bubs: I've enjoyed reading Gerry Dulac's coverage from the Combine. And I like that their is an interest in Big Dan Williams from Tennessee, and especially Jared Odrick from Penn State. Both would be terrific young additions to the DLine. I think Terrence Cody will be a total bust. But I'm most curious of their apparent interest in Sean Weatherspoon from Mizzou. Wouldn't it be a bit of a head scratcher for the Steelers to take an ILB in round one?
Ed Bouchette: My sentiments too.

The Frenchman: Ed, does it seem to you like Ryan Clark (together with his agent) is over-playing his hand? I understand the agent represents the player, but does he really believe Clark is "the best free safety in the business" as he said last week? Seems like the gap between what Clark wants/believes he deserves and what the Steelers would be willing to pay must be very large.
Ed Bouchette: My understanding is that's the case, that the sides are far apart and I do not expect them to get a deal done by Friday.

Father_Son_CLASH: Ed: why are running backs such a hit or miss in the draft? if a guy can run fast, strong legged, hit the holes with authority...does it depend on the line up front???
Ed Bouchette: Certainly the line has something to do with it, as does how a back is used and what kind of offense he played in college. For example, Tim Worley was an I-back at Georgia. The Steelers ran split backs. The story goes that Dick Haley told Chuck Noll that if they were going to draft Worley they would have to use him in the I. Chuck agreed, then used him as a split back.

shinglesxn: Ed, would you agree that the secondary is the Steelers biggest need in the upcoming draft or do you see them addressing linebacker or line depth either offensive or defensive?
Ed Bouchette: Remember, they drafted two corners in the first five rounds last season. However, that is a position you always need to address especially with the way they played last season at cornerback. And if Ryan Clark leaves, that further weakens the secondary. However, the depth at all four linebacker spots is not good and some age is showing there, as well as in the defensive line.

Vinny V.: Are the weekly chats the worst part of your job, and if so, how mad are you that you are doing them weekly during the offseason
Ed Bouchette: Do not let this out, but I've come to enjoy the chats and have gladly continued to do them in the offseason. I will not have one next week, though, because I will be on vacation.

OldSchoolPatriotFan: If the roles were reversed could Tomlin have done as dramatic a turnaround job as Whiz did with the Cardinals?
Ed Bouchette: That is impossible to determine.

Father_Son_CLASH: Ed: if you think Timmons should be the buck (Farrior) then would Timmons take over for Farrior this season. that would mean Tomlin's made a boo boo in personnel decisions?
Ed Bouchette: I'm not quite sure about the question. I think Timmons ability to cover an entire field might lend more toward the buck. However, the mack was the only spot open to him last season because they preferred to keep Farrior over Foote.

SamiDick: With A. Smith back & healthy and the rest of the D line in place, will Ziggy Hood get more playing time next year?
Ed Bouchette: I believe he will get more time subbing on both sides of the defense, but Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel will remain the starters.

Amos_P_Swanson: Do you think the Steelers make moves in the off-season to cut down playing time for Farrior this upcoming season?
Ed Bouchette: It's possible they could sub for him more. He will be 35. Even if they do not bring someone in, they could ease the burden on him from playing every down.

ghosts of weegie: any update if we will be the opener against the saints and when will they announce that game? i know it is before they announce the regular schedule....
Ed Bouchette: They normally announce that around the end of March and, no, I've heard no more talk about it.

dawida3: Ed, would the Steelers not have been better off franchising Hampton and transition-ing Reed? A long-term contract with a 33 year old defensive lineman with weight issues has me a little concerned.
Ed Bouchette: That was an option they consdiered but many good nose tackles have weight issues. it comes with the position.

tomk: is there a reasonable chance we could get an immediate starter at CB or OL with the 18th pick in this draft?
Ed Bouchette: I would say no on the corner. it rarely happens. Possibly at guard, which happens frequently.

Polamalu43: Ed, you said you Would not draft a ILB in first round.. would you draft a Safety or Cornerback in first round????
Ed Bouchette: Safety, no. Cornerback, yes.

Amos_P_Swanson: Ed...Alot of draft sites have the Steelers going OL in the 1st Round. However...If this happened...Who would be replaced? Essex?
Ed Bouchette: He would be the most logical but it's not necessary that he replace anyone this year.

Big Mike: Why is Matt Spaeth on the roster. We don't pass to him. We only use him for blocking, which is not one of his strengths.
Ed Bouchette: It will be interesting to see what tender they issue him before Friday. I predict it will be the amount that would bring them a third-round pick (his original draft position) if he signs elsewhere and they do not match.

AtllovestheSteelers: If you had a chance to make the Steelers pick in the first round who do you pick?
Ed Bouchette: Williams, Tennessee

OKSteelerfan: Why do the draft pundits have the Steelers taking a guard at #18? Do they see something we don't?
Ed Bouchette: What would be wrong with taking a top-flight guard with the 18th pick in the draft? They did it quite successfully with a guy named Alan Faneca.

betterovertime: Ed, What do you think of the NFL's announcement that they may change the overtime rules for playoff games next year (a possession for the other team if the first team only scores a FG)?
Ed Bouchette: I like the idea but If they are going to change it, they need to change it for all games and not just the playoffs.

Ed Bouchette: Thanks for another good chat. Off next week, see you the following Tuesday.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10061...#ixzz0h4SVv2QJ

Last edited by mesaSteeler; 03-02-2010 at 07:17 PM.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332
Default Re: Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 3.2.2010

Thanks for the article mesa
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
Thanks for the article mesa
You are most welcome.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Ed Bouchette: I don't know that I would make any kind of bold prediction. Would Ramon Foster starting at guard be considered bold? Ryan Mundy at free safety? A 10-6 record?
I kind of agree with all three of those statements, although our record will be a bit better. Still, I agree with Ed. I need a minute. I am feeling a bit verklempt.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:48 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,302 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Timmons should be the buck Could the Steelers be trying something this year.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
VinnySteel
Water Boy

Member Number: 11711

I'm the "Vinny V."

Usually he is so bitter during the chats, it's funny. So I thought I'd let him vent a little, but maybe he's having a change of heart.

Vinny V.: Are the weekly chats the worst part of your job, and if so, how mad are you that you are doing them weekly during the offseason
Ed Bouchette: Do not let this out, but I've come to enjoy the chats and have gladly continued to do them in the offseason. I will not have one next week, though, because I will be on vacation.
VinnySteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
vrabinec
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8821
Thanked 1,147 Times in 601 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed

I don't agree on a couple points. The notion that Timmons should be the buck is silly. His weakness is taking on blockers on running plays, and the buck gets far more of that then the mike because most teams run to their right. His strength is his speed and cover skills which is what the mike is primarily used for, speed to blitz, and drop into coverage behind the buck when the buck is forced to come up on playfake to play the run.

The second point I disagree on is that Ziggy won't be starting. Ziggy is far more athletically gifted than Keisel. IMO he's gonna beat Keisel out for the starting spot.
vrabinec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrabinec View Post
I don't agree on a couple points. The notion that Timmons should be the buck is silly. His weakness is taking on blockers on running plays, and the buck gets far more of that then the mike because most teams run to their right. His strength is his speed and cover skills which is what the mike is primarily used for, speed to blitz, and drop into coverage behind the buck when the buck is forced to come up on playfake to play the run.

The second point I disagree on is that Ziggy won't be starting. Ziggy is far more athletically gifted than Keisel. IMO he's gonna beat Keisel out for the starting spot.
I'm actually with Ed on these points.

The more athletic and mobile guard is usually on the left side of the O-Line .... across from where the Mack backer lines up. So your Mack back needs to be the guy who can fight off the better blocker. Also, if most teams run to the right, why did we have Foote as the Mack and Potsy as Buck and a D-fense ranked #1-#2 against the run for several years?

If we draft McClain or Weatherspoon, I would move Timmons to the Buck and get the new guy in at the Mack (obviously after a year of learning under Potsy and Timmons).

Pending injury, I think Ziggy will need another year to become an improvement to the two guys currently playing end. He'll be an improvement over the current backups. And Keisel isn't chopped liver. I think if Sonny Harrison shows progess, we could have the depth necessary to ensure we always have fresh legs on the defensive line and everyone will do well ... hard for an offensive line to constantly play against fresh legs all game long.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote