Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 03-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default UPDATE: Ryan Clark Becomes UFA

Ryan Clark in his own words: "I want to be here, my family likes it here. I want to finish playing with Troy."
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...n-words-i-want
by Blitzburgh on Mar 2, 2010 4:20 AM EST Comment 32 comments

Below is an interview with Ryan Clark and Mike Logan that aired on The Drive on 1250 ESPN Pittsburgh this afternoon. Clark specifically wanted to call Logan - who he says he feels comfortable talking to - to clear the air about how contract negotiations are going with him and the Steelers. Well, apparently nowhere because, according to Clark, there has been no offer whatsoever made to Clark, not even a low-ball offer that he might have to consider passing on at his age.

I've transcribed the portion of the interview below. I'll let you form your own judgments, but I will say that it's worth listening to Clark speak passionately rather than merely reading the transcription. On the one hand, it's apparent Clark really wants to remain in Pittsburgh, to be shown love by the Steelers organization. On the other, Clark's passionate demeanor seems to occasionally make him abrasive or overly intense/aggressive in his characterizations. Remember him lashing out at the media and Steelers fans last season when the team was on it's mid-season slide?

Anyway, here's how I see it as of today. If the organization has truly not offered Clark any sort of deal and have already opted not to use the transition tag on Clark for the 2010 season, then the organization must have their eye on some free agent out there that they're willing to pay for. I suppose they could also be eying some high draft pick to play significant time right away alongside Polamalu, but that seems a bit less likely considering the mental demands necessary at that position.

We'll see. I love Clark when he's playing with #43. Regardless of what happens, I'll remember him fondly for the role he played on our nasty 2008 defense, and for the all-out abandon he played with every time he took the field for the Steelers.

Here's the quotes I found most intriguing, followed by a link to the entire interview.

"To be honest with you guys, I haven't had an offer yet. Nothing put to paper or even said verbally. You know, we want to get this deal done. I've bent over backwards to get it done. You hear so much you being a priority and things like that, and if you think about it, there's been a number of guys who've signed contracts, and I haven't been offered one. There's been Heath Miller, Justin Hartwig, Brett Keisel, Casey, Jeff. So it's not like it was one guy got signed, the well ran dry and there was nothing they can do. It hasn't been that, so if you think about priorities and prioritizing, I was way down on the list."

"I'm going to ask the $6.5, $7 million a year - I wouldn't do that. I know how much Troy makes, and I know how much respect I have for Troy as a player and how much I love him as a friend. I don't see myself as Troy, I don't see myself as having to get that type of paid. So it's not a situation of me saying you gotta pay me how Troy's being paid. I'd be a fool to do that."

"You know, they showed their level of commitment to Jeff, even though it's one year. $2.8 million dollars. Heath Miller, Justin Hartwig - all these guys have been shown some type of love that says 'you know what, we want you here. We're willing to work to get you here.' I haven't gotten that. I'm frustrated and the reason I agreed to come on, but also to do it to someone I was close to, was because I felt like some things needed to be cleared up."

"I'm specifically saying I'm not asking for $6.5 - $7 million dollars. It's not a situation to where people were saying where they didn't transition tag him because they don't feel like he's worth that much, he's not going to get paid that much. Well, we didn't ask for that much. It's not a situation where we're being unreasonable, or I'm being unreasonable. I want to be here, my family likes it here. I want to finish playing with Troy. Some of my best friends are on this team and in this city. But right now, what I'm saying is it's not in my hands."

Listen here to Clark's full interview with Mike Logan on 1250 ESPN Pittsburgh
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/player?...162&autoplay=1
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Default Re: Ryan Clark in his own words:

I think I would feel the same way if i was in his shoes.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141

When the CBA expires the team will get another transition tag maybee they use it on Clark.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

Maybe they want to see what the market bears. Maybe management does not want him back. The silence is deafening if true.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside Jonny View Post
When the CBA expires the team will get another transition tag maybee they use it on Clark.

Once the CBA expires (after the 2010 - 2011 season) there will be no transition tags, no franchise tags, and probably no football for a while.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

If they haven't tried to give him a deal yet then he's obviously not the guy they want going forward
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
GameTime55
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15914

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
If they haven't tried to give him a deal yet then he's obviously not the guy they want going forward
Got to agree. Theres got to be something out there in fa or through the draft I guess. I dont know how quickly team will show their hand come Friday but right now they appear not to be bluffing about letting him go.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

He does have a good point about making less money than the kicker. Doh.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #9
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

There not going to offer Gay a contract either...

Our defensive backs list is going slimmer by the weeks
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
There not going to offer Gay a contract either...

Our defensive backs list is going slimmer by the weeks
Dude .. they are not going to let go of Gay when they can try him out for one more year, relatively cheap with no strings attached. If he wanted a long-term deal, yes. But the RFA designation was practically invented for that guy.