Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 03-03-2010, 01:38 AM   #1
SteelCurtain0815
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15238
Default Taylor Mays

If we aren't looking to resign Clark, maybe we are looking to draft a potential starter at free safety. Mays ran a 4.34 at the combine and looked very impressive. He did not have the best year at USC, but I could get past that. I would love for him to be back there with Troy. He isn't the best in coverage, but could definitely improve easily. One things for sure, he would make WRs think twice about catching the ball over the middle. I'm prayin he will fall to 18.
SteelCurtain0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:55 AM   #2
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,692 Posts
Default Re: Taylor Mays

I still think he has track speed, but looks like he plays slow. He may be good at the combine, but with Football Equipment on, he looks heavy and slow to change direction.

I'd rather pass on Mays and avoid revisiting the drafting of Scott Sheilds.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:09 AM   #3
xbroughneck
Team Captain

Member Number: 5743

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I still think he has track speed, but looks like he plays slow. He may be good at the combine, but with Football Equipment on, he looks heavy and slow to change direction.

I'd rather pass on Mays and avoid revisiting the drafting of Scott Sheilds.
Same guy, same work ethic, same physical attributes?

Oh, you're going to say one guy is fail because that big safety didn't pan out.

You might be right, but I see very little other than experience that says Taylor Mays couldn't at LEAST be as good as Ryan Clark in two years, yet with more speed and power.

Smarter guys than i will evaluate him on talent, but I'll take a guy in the first round that played for an NFL caliber coach (Pete Carroll), who also coached another safety on our team, whose faster bigger and can cover in the Pac 10. Yeah, there were several factors that may have led to Mays not having a stellar year at USC, but I'm not going to stoop so low as to say he's comparable to a second round pick from WEBER STATE.

Taylor Mays would not be a bad pick, but he would improve the depth in our secondary.

Id rather have Taylor Mays as one of our future safeties than Ryan Clark, Deshea Townsend, Ryan Mundy or (heaven help us ) Ty Carter.

We have guys on the offensive line, and even at corner that can possible start on this team eventually.

We need quality youth at the safety spot.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:07 AM   #4
SteelCurtain0815
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15238

I really hope he falls. He could also perhaps bring some attitude to our defense where it is really lacking. I don't think he plays slow, he just plays over aggressively and sometimes finds himself out of position to make tackles or defend passes. With the right coaching, which I believe we have, that can be solved.
SteelCurtain0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:36 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,942 Times in 1,655 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCurtain0815 View Post
If we aren't looking to resign Clark, maybe we are looking to draft a potential starter at free safety. Mays ran a 4.34 at the combine and looked very impressive. He did not have the best year at USC, but I could get past that. I would love for him to be back there with Troy. He isn't the best in coverage, but could definitely improve easily. One things for sure, he would make WRs think twice about catching the ball over the middle. I'm prayin he will fall to 18.
I much rather have Earl Thomas from Texas. Looks to me like his feet work is alot better and is more of a ball hawk.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:31 AM   #6
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Mays could do well here, but my guess is they address the OL or DL in the 1st and pick Rolle from Florida state in the second.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:33 AM   #7
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

after watching them at the combine i would be happy with thomas or mays. they both have there downfalls but just about every player with the exception of payton manning has them. i thought mays would be converted to LB but he is looking like a really good saftey now. he just needs to learn how to cover and read better. thomas is a ballhawk but his tackeling skills are nowere close to that of mays. i just want a new saftey that can start
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
FacemeIke
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11185

I'd like to see us go with Mays or Thomas and I prefer Mays over Thomas. But I am not a college football fan so I haven't seen much of either. I wish we had Clark for one more year so we could draft one of these guys, let them sit for a year and then start in their second year. I don't see Clark agreeing to a one year contract at his age though.
FacemeIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
vrabinec
Head Coach

Member Number: 8821
Thanked 1,468 Times in 749 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacemeIke View Post
I'd like to see us go with Mays or Thomas and I prefer Mays over Thomas. But I am not a college football fan so I haven't seen much of either. I wish we had Clark for one more year so we could draft one of these guys, let them sit for a year and then start in their second year. I don't see Clark agreeing to a one year contract at his age though.
I'd rather have Thomas. It's not that I think Mays will be horrible, but he takes the circular route to get to a lot of plays, which means he gets there late, despite his speed. Now, when he gets there, he knocks the crap out of the receiver, I can see him getting late to a lot of deep balls because he doesn't have the best football instincts. As far as run support, he's a stud. One of the best run support safeties I've ever seen. I kinda look at him as a Ryan Clark with an extra 20 pounds and two steps faster. Thomas doesn't deliver the hits on the receiver that Mays does, but he gets there quicker because he reads the play faster and judges the ball in the air better. He plays the ball more than the man, and has the hands to intercept it. But he doesn't support the run with the authority Mays does, and he needs to work on his form. IMO, neither one would start until well into their rookie year, if they even started as a rookie at all. Of the two, Thomas has a better chance of starting soon.
vrabinec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
+NuBbS+
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8655

either safety, thomas, mays, or if eric berry falls that far....which is extremely unlikely, would be a good fit at FS for us all. thomas and berry offer immediate improvement at that postion. mays just needs to be coached up a little bit. and who is better to coach him up then our H.O.F defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau??
+NuBbS+ is offline   Reply With Quote