Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #11
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,842 Times in 922 Posts
Default Re: Taylor Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbroughneck View Post
Same guy, same work ethic, same physical attributes?

Oh, you're going to say one guy is fail because that big safety didn't pan out.

You might be right, but I see very little other than experience that says Taylor Mays couldn't at LEAST be as good as Ryan Clark in two years, yet with more speed and power.

Smarter guys than i will evaluate him on talent, but I'll take a guy in the first round that played for an NFL caliber coach (Pete Carroll), who also coached another safety on our team, whose faster bigger and can cover in the Pac 10. Yeah, there were several factors that may have led to Mays not having a stellar year at USC, but I'm not going to stoop so low as to say he's comparable to a second round pick from WEBER STATE.

Taylor Mays would not be a bad pick, but he would improve the depth in our secondary.

Id rather have Taylor Mays as one of our future safeties than Ryan Clark, Deshea Townsend, Ryan Mundy or (heaven help us ) Ty Carter.

We have guys on the offensive line, and even at corner that can possible start on this team eventually.

We need quality youth at the safety spot.
Fact is that Mays is a big guy who looks stiff in coverage and slow in reacting. He was sliding due to his down year and less than impressive performance at the Senior Bowl week.....IN PADS. Some thought he should convert to LB.

Now, the guy runs a 4.3 40 IN SHORTS, and most want him. Those are the kinds of knee jerk reactions that get guys like Heyward-Bey, Chad Jackson and Mike Mammula picked in the 1st round.

Forget the 40 time and vertical jump number, but instead look at what the guy does in pads. I say that I would rather have Berry, Thomas or Nate Allen.

The Scott Sheilds reference was similar in that he was another big guy that was fast for that size and got drafted high because of physical potential and not NFL type ability.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #12
xbroughneck
Team Captain

Member Number: 5743

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

The Scott Sheilds reference was similar in that he was another big guy that was fast for that size and got drafted high because of physical potential and not NFL type ability.
I think Mays would excel covering opposing tight ends. I also think his run support would be sick.

Now, deep routes...he may suck at. But so does Ryan Clark.

I understand the argument and concern with Mays. I just feel that his strengths are the same strengths that we have with Ryan Clark, but better. (Lacking the experience of course)

How good will Earl Thomas be against big tight ends on plays where Troy decides to blitz?

I hope more coaches and GMs feel the same way you do EG, cause right now Mays is projected to not even be available when we pick. So a LOT of teams appear to be looking to reach for an average NFL safety.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #13
taztroy43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13325

Quote:
I think Mays would excel covering opposing tight ends. I also think his run support would be sick.

I understand the argument and concern with Mays. I just feel that his strengths are the same strengths that we have with Ryan Clark, but better. (Lacking the experience of course)

How good will Earl Thomas be against big tight ends on plays where Troy decides to blitz?

I hope more coaches and GMs feel the same way you do EG, cause right now Mays is projected to not even be available when we pick. So a LOT of teams appear to be looking to reach for an average NFL safety.
I agree w/ your assessment completely!!!!
taztroy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #14
vrabinec
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8821
Thanked 1,165 Times in 611 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed

Quote:
Fact is that Mays is a big guy who looks stiff in coverage and slow in reacting. He was sliding due to his down year and less than impressive performance at the Senior Bowl week.....IN PADS. Some thought he should convert to LB.

Now, the guy runs a 4.3 40 IN SHORTS, and most want him. Those are the kinds of knee jerk reactions that get guys like Heyward-Bey, Chad Jackson and Mike Mammula picked in the 1st round.

Forget the 40 time and vertical jump number, but instead look at what the guy does in pads. I say that I would rather have Berry, Thomas or Nate Allen.

I'm not the biggest Mays fan, but he moves better than Shields. At best, I think Mays could be a Steve Atwater clone. Not particularly great in coverage, but scares the crap out of the receivers so bad that they drop half the balls thrown their way. At worst, he'd be someone you have to pull if the opponent has a TE who is a threat. Either way, I really doubt the Steelers take him. He's not the versatile kind of guy LeBeau usually looks for in his DB's.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #15
xbroughneck
Team Captain

Member Number: 5743

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrabinec View Post
I'm not the biggest Mays fan, but he moves better than Shields. At best, I think Mays could be a Steve Atwater clone. Not particularly great in coverage, but scares the crap out of the receivers so bad that they drop half the balls thrown their way. At worst, he'd be someone you have to pull if the opponent has a TE who is a threat. Either way, I really doubt the Steelers take him. He's not the versatile kind of guy LeBeau usually looks for in his DB's.
If he's on the board I think the Steelers take him, but Pete Carroll won't let him slide by 14. And Mays will make their defense better. He'd make the Steelers defense better. He'd be a monster on blitz packages and you could then slip Troy back into coverage where he can grab a pick.

There are more positives than negatives to drafting Mays to play in your secondary.

How many teams are the Steelers playing next year that have good tight ends?

If the Steelers get to the playoffs and meet the Chargers, would you want a guy like Deshea Townsend covering Ben Gates or Mays. DEFENSIVE SECONDARY needs to get shored up. And by secondary I mean against both the run and the pass. With Farrior losing a step the Steelers need to pick up another speed player.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #16
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:

A lot of GM's had guys like Darren McFadden, Tyson Jackson and Chad Jackson ranked high too. It really means they just jumped out at the combine or had perceived upside, but I think they had college type skills...not NFL skills.

I just think Mays is another big guy playing S in college, that might be best suited to play LB, because he just doesnt have the quickness. I didnt see him do the short shuttle....does anybody know how that was for him??

Basically, you think Mays is the next Sean Taylor and I think he is the next Boss Bailey, if he wants to be. We will see, but I would rather the Steelers looked elsewhere.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #17
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:

i think mays is a good pick for us if he is there. as for him covering deep, with his speed dick can teach him. he is alot faster then clark and bigger
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #18
vrabinec
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8821
Thanked 1,165 Times in 611 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed

Quote:
A lot of GM's had guys like Darren McFadden, Tyson Jackson and Chad Jackson ranked high too. It really means they just jumped out at the combine or had perceived upside, but I think they had college type skills...not NFL skills.

I just think Mays is another big guy playing S in college, that might be best suited to play LB, because he just doesnt have the quickness. I didnt see him do the short shuttle....does anybody know how that was for him??

Basically, you think Mays is the next Sean Taylor and I think he is the next Boss Bailey, if he wants to be. We will see, but I would rather the Steelers looked elsewhere.
In fairness to Oakland, McFadden had 3400 yards in two years. That's pretty productive, so he wasn't just a combine workout warrior.. No way to tell he'd turn out to be afraid to hit the hole and have tons of injuries.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:46 PM   #19
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrabinec View Post
In fairness to Oakland, McFadden had 3400 yards in two years. That's pretty productive, so he wasn't just a combine workout warrior.. No way to tell he'd turn out to be afraid to hit the hole and have tons of injuries.
You are correct that he did have a lot of yards, but I was pretty firm believer that McFadden benefitted from the wider hashmarks of the college game and that in the NFL he would have to run North-South like Reggie Bush would...and fail. I always thought he was Reggie Bush lite.

I thought Jonathan Stewart, Mendenhall and Matt Forte were better suited to the NFL than McFadden. But, I never thought Chris Johnson would be as productive as he is.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #20
taztroy43
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13325

Quote:
If he's on the board I think the Steelers take him, but Pete Carroll won't let him slide by 14. And Mays will make their defense better. He'd make the Steelers defense better. He'd be a monster on blitz packages and you could then slip Troy back into coverage where he can grab a pick.

There are more positives than negatives to drafting Mays to play in your secondary.

How many teams are the Steelers playing next year that have good tight ends?

If the Steelers get to the playoffs and meet the Chargers, would you want a guy like Deshea Townsend covering Ben Gates or Mays. DEFENSIVE SECONDARY needs to get shored up. And by secondary I mean against both the run and the pass. With Farrior losing a step the Steelers need to pick up another speed player.
I wouldn't mind Mays @ all!!! He reminds me of Polamalu in the way that people would say that Polamalu couldn't cover @ the next level...etc...etc....just look @ him now!!!! With good coaching and a mentor the sky is the limit with this kid....and guess what the Steelers have both!!!!!!
taztroy43 is offline   Reply With Quote