Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 03-03-2010, 03:53 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,176 Times in 1,350 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Hampton happy to stay put

For many NFL players the start of free agency on March 5 will signal a chance to explore the options, visit other teams and see what is out there for them.

For Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton, that date will be uneventful. And that was just what he was hoping for.

Hampton could have become a free agent later this week, but the Steelers and Hampton avoided that when he agreed to a three-year contact.

"It was very important for our organization to have a player of Casey's caliber signed for what we hope is the rest of his career," said director of football operations Kevin Colbert. "Casey has been a big part of our success and we think he has a lot of football left. Plus, we think he's one of our true leaders, and to get this free-agency period kicked off early by getting him locked up, means a lot to our organization."

It means a lot to Hampton too. Hampton, who the Steelers drafted in the first round in 2001, knows how rare it is to play out an entire career with one team and is thankful he has that chance.

“It was real important to me,” Hampton said in an interview with Steelers.com, his first comments since agreeing to the new deal. “I think that any player’s goal when they go to an organization is to stay with one team throughout their whole career. In this day and time with the salary cap and everything, whenever you are able to stay with a team for as long as I have been able to, it’s definitely a big deal.”

Hampton likes the core group the Steelers have on defense and has built a strong chemistry with them, making staying put even more important.

“In Pittsburgh you get used to being around guys,” said Hampton. “Unlike a lot of other teams Pittsburgh builds through the draft and don’t get a lot of guys through free agency. A lot of guys who are here have been here for a long time so you get used to the same people.”

With the contract now out of the way, Hampton has set his sights on focusing on the 2010 season.

“That was my main goal to not have anything to worry about, get it out of the way and be full steam ahead and concentrate on nothing but football,” said Hampton. “That is all I have to do now.”

And his hope is that focus results in a better outcome in 2010 than in 2009, when the Steelers missed the playoffs after winning Super Bowl XLIII the year before.

“You have more hunger to you now,” said Hampton. “You know how it feels to be on top of the mountain and you know what it feels like to be on the bottom. With that said we need refocus and do the little things to get us back to the top of the mountain.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...6-c5a56e19efb6
Old 03-03-2010, 04:39 AM   #2
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: Hampton happy to stay put

i love hampton and im sooooo glad we signed him up. he is a leader and a great player and were luckey to of had him for his entire carear. with that said and him knowing he is done in 3 years hopefully he dosnt tone it down knowing his end is near
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

It was great to see the Steelers and Hampton come to a fair contract.
Not over the top. Yet not cheap.
I'm sure he will play his a$$ off as if it were his last game. Gives the Steelers time to
find a suitable replacement. This is awesome!
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
vtw8lftr
Water Boy

Member Number: 15860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
“You have more hunger to you now,” said Hampton.

Yikes! Didn't think that was possible for Big Snack
vtw8lftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141

I'm so glad I don't have to buy a new jersey.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Of course he is happy, he didn't get stuck with the tag and got the term and money he wanted. Stay hungry Big Snack!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,861 Times in 934 Posts

I think he settled for less than he would have got on the open market. The tag was gonna get him $7 million guaranteed and he settled for $11mil guaranteed over 3 years.

I'm happy he stayed, mostly because he is a top NT, but also so the Hampton haters that think he is lazy can blend back into the background and quietly stew.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
Steeldude
Living Legend

let's see if he shows up extremely overweight again.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141

I heard the main factor in Casey staying is the fact he loves Prmanti Brothers.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #10
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I think he settled for less than he would have got on the open market. The tag was gonna get him $7 million guaranteed and he settled for $11mil guaranteed over 3 years.
Yeah, but realistically, more like $15 million is guaranteed unless we cut him in training camp next year, and I think we know how likely that is. He'll probably collect on all of it, actually. Which is not something he could say if he signed a backloaded 5-year Dan Snyder contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I'm happy he stayed, mostly because he is a top NT, but also so the Hampton haters that think he is lazy can blend back into the background and quietly stew.
Very true. For my own part, I might have been approaching "hater" territory because of the almost-drama with the contract, but his skill as a player was never really in doubt. Now that the money problem turned out to be nothing, I'm about as happy as can be.