Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-03-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
SteelCityMom

Member Number:
Default Gay marriage made legal in DC

I know a lot of folks are opposed to it, but I think this is something that shouldn't even be an issue. To me it's just about all citizens of this country getting equal protections under the same laws. I'm glad these folks will now be given that.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7017986890
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030300654.html
Old 03-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default Re: Gay marriage made legal in DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
I know a lot of folks are opposed to it, but I think this is something that shouldn't even be an issue. To me it's just about all citizens of this country getting equal protections under the same laws. I'm glad these folks will now be given that.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7017986890
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030300654.html
I'd have nothing against gay marriage, except that I know that once a majority of states allow it the next step in the process for gay advocy groups will be to go after any and all churces that refuse to marry same sex couples. So basically the Catholic church and other churces that fail to perform same sex ceremonies will have to choose between either refusing to marry anyone, marry gays ( which the Vatican wont allow) or lose their tax exempt status.

Otherwise, hell yeah, why should straight people be the only ones that have to support divorce lawyers.

Last edited by zulater; 03-03-2010 at 11:11 AM.
zulater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
I'd have nothing against gay marriage, except that I know that once a majority of states allow it the next step in the process for gay advocy groups will be to go after any and all churces that refuse to marry same sex couples. So basically the Catholic church and other churces that fail to perform same sex ceremonies will have to choose between either refusing to marry anyone, marry gays ( which the Vatican wont allow) or lose their tax exempt status.

Otherwise, hell yeah, why should straight people be the only ones that have to support divorce lawyers.

Quote:
Under the law, clergy are not required to perform gay marriages, and churches and other faith-based organizations have the right to refuse to offer their facilities and services for solemnizing such marriages.
-From the first link I posted.

Churches also have the right to refuse to marry me as well, since I do not adhere to any denomination or faith. Nobody's going to lose their tax exempt status and the government simply cannot and will not get involved in that matter since it pertains to religious aspects. This is for legal and financial status only in marital issues. They already have options anyway. There are plenty of gay friendly (and sometimes oriented churches), non-denominational weddings and courthouse weddings.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

If people are gay then i don't really care if they get married gay it has nothing to do with me.

Don't know why its such a big deal these days
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

I dont think as many people care about gay marriage as politics lead you to believe. Who cares what other people do. I understand the religion part of a "marriage" but really who cares about gay marriage. I think it should be legal everywhere.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Where it gets interesting is the situation here in California, post-Prop 8. Not only did the proposition take away a right that gays and lesbians were beginning to enjoy - which seems a little different somehow from never having enjoyed the same - but it left open the question of what was to be done with the thousands of couples who were married before the proposition passed. Are those marriages now annulled? Fictitious? Grandfathered? It would be truly bizarre if other states recognized California's gay marriages, but not California.

Furthermore, there is the sort of irony of having such an antidemocratic measure supported democratically, by popular vote. It's not really an irony, since the flip side of majority rule is minority rights, which are being completely trashed here by this. Still, I'm eager to see what happens, and have been writing letters aplenty to anyone who will publish them.

Thanks for the post, SCM.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
TheWarDen86
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 2,964 Times in 1,261 Posts

Wait, if it wasn't already legal in DC then how did Bill Clinton get away with being married to that dude who is now our Secretary of State?

Old 03-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

Tom Brady can now get a divorce and marry somebody that will make him happy.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post

Can't see how that would happen. The Catholic Church already refuses to perform marriages for non-Catholics, for Catholics who are divorced and didn't get an annulment, first cousins (who can legally marry in some states), and even for Catholics who haven't gone through the Church's procedural hoops. None of that has been a problem.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:38 PM   #10
Bng_Hevn
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14891

I think the biggest issue is that men with AIDs will be able to use their "spouse's" medical insurance, thus raising the rates.

Not that the medical insurance industry isn't already going to hell in a handbasket.
Bng_Hevn is offline   Reply With Quote