Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Pittsburgh Steelers post season digest: Marty Gilyard exclusive, a player to watch

Pittsburgh Steelers post season digest: Marty Gilyard exclusive, a player to watch
March 3, 6:14 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...layer-to-watch

INDIANAPOLIS - The combine is a time for athletes to show off their skills to NFL personnel. While the Steelers have many needs, including line and secondary, when it comes to positions they are pretty much set at, the wide receivers slot is tops.

Santonio Holmes, Hines Ward, and up and coming star Mike Wallace not to mention Heath Miller at tight end are among the elite of the league. But there is the big question mark of Limas Sweed.

Here's a player who might be of some interest that Examiner.com caught up withfor an exclusive interview. He's former Cincinnati wide out Marty Gilyard, a player who loves to go up and catch the ball in traffic.

He is also a player who is humble because he learned from past mistakes realizing his name also represents his family, his town and school. Given a second chance at UC, Gilyard did not dissapoint.

Gilyard is 6-1, 180 pounds and last year for the Cincinnati Bearcats had 87 receptions for 1,191 yards and 11 touchdowns. At the senior Bowl, he had five recepions for 103 yards. Did we mention the fact he also had 994 yards on kick-offs, scoring twice?

"'I'm just a competitor when the game is on the line I want to have the ball in my hands," Gilyard said. "I joke about it a little bit that I would rather have it in the receivers hands then my foot."

Asked about his skills, Gilyard attributed it to his coaches at UC.

"We had a strict coach in coach Molnar" Gilyard said. 'He made sure you catch the baby and kiss it in the mouth, to lock it away and secure it and to keep moving."

Gilyard participated in the Senior Bowl a few weeks ago and he said it was a great learning experience for the next level. He also participated in the NFL combine, where he posted the top score in the vertical jump and 60 yard dash.

Gilyard said the Senior Bowl showed him what it meant to prepare for the next level of play.

"These guys showed me the best time I had ever had from a football aspect," Gilyard said. "We were competing for a job, and the coaches were strait up and genuine."

Gilyard worked with the Lions staff especially wide receivers coach Shawn Jefferson, who had over ten years of NFL experience as a wideout.

"Coach Jefferson shot it to me strait, he didn't sugar coat anything, he said you don't have to like me, you just have to perform for me and I have to perform for you," Gilyard said. " He was really hard on me and the other receiver from Clemson Jacoby Ford,but I would rather have him yell at me than not have said anything at all."

So now the big question, where would he want to end up come draft day?

"People ask me what would be my dream tam to go to and of course I say to them I'd love to stay in in Jungle and play in Cincinnati and have Ocho take me under his wings since he is a friend," Gilyard said. "But any team, I would feel blessed to be with whoever decided to pick me up. I just want to play football at the next level. .I could care less if I went in the first round or seventh or even a free agent and want to give back to my city."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote