Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 03-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
Cmdurand21
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13540
Lightbulb What would you do if you were GM?

I know that this will never really happen, so I need to live out my fantasies on an internet forum. Here it goes

Needs (as I see them, in order): S, CB, ILB, DT, OL, DE, OLB, WR, RB, QB.

Well, as Steelers GM i am going to attempt to build through the draft.. I mean, we are the Steelers, that's what we do. So first comes the draft:

1st round Draft pick: This is tough to predict because you never know who is going to be there when our picks come around. Safety is going to be a huge concern for the Steelers, we must spend atleast a 1-3 round pick on a FS if we are unable to retain Clark. I like Earl Thomas or Taylor Mays in the 1st round, they are both ready to play this season. However if they aren't there I would like to see us snatch up Dan Williams from UT, Rolando McClain from AL, or Brandon Spikes from UF. These 3 players are ready to step in in the 2011 season, the ILBs could learn from Farrior and DT from Hampton.

2nd Round: No matter what we do in the 1st round, I believe this pick needs to be spent on an versatile. We need to get some protection, maybe a character guy who can keep Ben's hands off unwilling ladies too. If Terrance Coty falls here, we have to take him.

3rd Round: We are notorious for taking a project in the 3rd round. I could see us taking a OLB here or a ILB if we haven't snatched one up by this point. A RB is very possible at this point. Our depth (to me) is scary bad at RB.

On to Free Agency, the Steelers aren't ones to spend lots on FA. As the Gm of the Steelers, I am going to keep this tradition alive.

DE: I would like to see Ma'ake Kemoeatu, who was just released from the Panthers, in a Steelers uniform. He is a big 3-4 DE (Height: 6 ft 5 in Weight: 345 lb) who can stop the run. He has had some injury problems, but looked really good in preseason before tearing his knee up. He would add great depth to the line for cheap. Also he is Chris's older brother!

CB: Here is a position that I would like to spend a little money on. But, i don't want to sign someone to a long contract. We have a lot of young CBs, and i don't want a huge contract on the books for my Nickel or Dim corner in 3 years. I'd probably attempt to sign Lito Sheppard (Released from the Jets) to a prove it deal, incentive laced and only lasting 1-2 years. He should be a good fill in while our younger talent develops.

ILB: I want to fill this position in the 1st 3 rounds in the draft. We're not looking for depth, Fox is plenty good enough. So let's bring in some young talent and let him watch and grow.

OLB: We are mostly looking for depth here. Woodley is a star and Harrison is too. Harrison isn't getting any younger, but he didn't get much wear on his tires in his first 5 years in the NFL. We may use a late pick on an OLB for depth and develop him, or we could sign a Veteran. Joey Porter comes to mind, I would love to have him back, but at his age he could only be used as a situational pass rusher, but i am fine with just adding a role player at the min here.

RB: We MUST improve or RB depth, I am not comfortable with Moore as a fulltime back if Mendy goes down. But, he shouldn't reach in the draft for depth. A 3rd round is the earliest I'd select a RB, but a Veteran will be suitable if there isn't one. Thomas Jones is a possibility, he shouldn't garner a lot of interest and has been very productive the last 2 years.

WR: I think we are set here, but I would like to stimulate some competition at the 4th WR slot. Maybe this will light a fire under Limas Sweed's ass. I am not ready to declare him a bust until the end of next year. He has shown the ability to get open and to block. Now is time to learn how to catch Limas,

I am going to be updating this post after looking at combine results, reading player Bios, and maybe a few youtube films to fill in the rest of the draft and looking at ALL available UFAs.

Is anyone happy with this kind of offseason? Why? Why not? What would you do if you were a GM?
Cmdurand21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141
Default Re: What would you do if you were GM?

I would love to add another Kemo! IMO they love to play and they play hard!
Old 03-05-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

If i were a GM i would somehow try to land Earl Thomas and Kyle Wilson in rounds 1, pick up center in round 2 and go with BPA after those rounds.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,170 Times in 416 Posts

If I were GM, I'd leave the light-duty trucks, vans and SUVs to Chevrolet, and make GMC exclusively a heavy-duty and commercial truck brand.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

gnutella... thats a good one bud. I think if I were GM I would go Best Available in the 1st round. I would LOVE to see LB McClain make it to us at 18, but I Dont See that Ever Happening. I would love to see the Steelers get some Secondary help but I dont want them Reaching where they shouldnt be and I think they have proven in the past that they wont do that, so I feel pretty good about what our front office will do come april.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:38 AM   #6
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

1. We will not draft a safety in the first round to be the starter
2. WE WILL NOT DRAFT A SAFETY IN THE FIRST ROUND TO BE A STARTER.

I really think we'll take the best player available out of the LB, OL, DL, DB, RB positions, in that order. I wouldnot be surprised to see 1-LB, 2-Cody, 3-OL, 4-RB, 5-WR, 6-??, 7-??

Yes, despite the OMG panic going around, we could omit DB and DL entirely unless we find an exceptionally lucky value. We addressed both of those positions last year and probably stand a good chance that at least one guy at each will turn into a decent starter. I do think we take a NT somewhere as a project, and Cody is looking like just that. Problem is, while I see him dropping to the 2nd round, I don't necessarily see him dropping THAT far that he gets to us. Would we trade up for him (like, our 2nd and 4th)? That seems kind of unlikely too. More like we try our luck with 3rd-4th round guy.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:40 AM   #7
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
1. We will not draft a safety in the first round to be the starter
2. WE WILL NOT DRAFT A SAFETY IN THE FIRST ROUND TO BE A STARTER.

I really think we'll take the best player available out of the LB, OL, DL, DB, RB positions, in that order. I wouldnot be surprised to see 1-LB, 2-Cody, 3-OL, 4-RB, 5-WR, 6-??, 7-??

Yes, despite the OMG panic going around, we could omit DB and DL entirely unless we find an exceptionally lucky value. We addressed both of those positions last year and probably stand a good chance that at least one guy at each will turn into a decent starter. I do think we take a NT somewhere as a project, and Cody is looking like just that. Problem is, while I see him dropping to the 2nd round, I don't necessarily see him dropping THAT far that he gets to us. Would we trade up for him (like, our 2nd and 4th)? That seems kind of unlikely too. More like we try our luck with 3rd-4th round guy.
Um dude you dont know what will happen on draft day.

I wondered what you said during 2007 and 2008 and 2009
Old 03-06-2010, 03:05 AM   #8
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
Um dude you dont know what will happen on draft day.

I wondered what you said during 2007 and 2008 and 2009
2007: "I hope we get a good RB because Parker sucks, but I wouldn't be surprised if we spent some high picks on LB."

2008: "I hope we get a good RB because Parker sucks, but I would'nt be surprised if we picked some LBs or DLs."

2009: "No, we do not need to draft three offensive linemen in the first three rounds; we'll probably get one guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a DL or an LB. I'm glad we got a RB last year, because Parker sucked."

Yeah, I've got no clue at all and OMG, I'm just throwing whtever random crap I can think of out there. Ummm, I proly better stfu, right?
Old 03-06-2010, 03:15 AM   #9
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
2007: "I hope we get a good RB because Parker sucks, but I wouldn't be surprised if we spent some high picks on LB."

2008: "I hope we get a good RB because Parker sucks, but I would'nt be surprised if we picked some LBs or DLs."

2009: "No, we do not need to draft three offensive linemen in the first three rounds; we'll probably get one guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a DL or an LB. I'm glad we got a RB last year, because Parker sucked."

Yeah, I've got no clue at all and OMG, I'm just throwing whtever random crap I can think of out there. Ummm, I proly better stfu, right?
Lol, you are saying WE WILL NOT implying as if it's a good as done deal. You could and may be right but i hate it when people say we will and we wont...
Old 03-06-2010, 03:41 AM   #10
Steel_Bus_24
Team President

Member Number: 2886

yeah I think we have to find a way to get Earl Thomas or McClain if he falls far enough

I almost hope Clark signs with the phins so that they wont be tempted to draft thomas......of course if they sign clark and draft Thomas Id flip

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote