Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
SteelerNation12
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 264
Member Number: 15759
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Steelers best bets

Got time to kill. So figured I'd post some of the players I think are the best bets for the Steelers come April.

Joe Haden, Don't care about his 40. The guy has natural cover skills and ability to read routes. Hard worker and wants to be good.

Nate Allen, another guy with great work ethic, with leadership ability. Has great instincts and you really need that in a safety. Would be a great guy next to Troy for years to come.

Charles Brown, tons of upside with this guy. Could develop into a solid LT or RT. Will require some coaching to work with his leverage.

Micah Johnson, could be a bargin with his woes at the combine. But the guy has natural talent and shouldn't cost more than a 3rd day pick.

Mike Williams, high risk/high reward player. We have guys on this team that will wipe him into shape, He could end up being the best WR from this class with the right situation and coaching.

Joe McKnight, a less talented Reggie Bush. But has good hands coming outta the backfield and would be a very good 3rd down back and back up to Mendenhall.

Dorin Dickerson, local product. Solid speed and hands. Has played, HB,WR and Te in his career. Would be a solid H back for us.

Again this just a short list of players Steelers should look at. NOT a mock draft.
SteelerNation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:58 AM   #2
jollyrob68
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 306
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15873
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steelers best bets

I agree nice list. After listening to my Steelers Pod cast I agree with the host. In the first round they only picks that make sense are McClain if he falls(same for HAden), Mike Iupati,Maurkice Pouncey or a DB. Most of the top rate tackles will be gone. Sean Weatherspoon is alot like Timmons and need to be in space & roam sideline to sideline so he doesn't get engulfed by bigger lineman and he's not a run stuffer. (I still wouldn't mind if we took him). Taking NT Dan Williams probably wont help us out this year after signing Hampton. However, My thoughts on a DL is Jared Odrick Because he can Join the rotation and help keep A.Smith & B.Keisel fresh with Ziggy.
If we get Pouncey or Iupati then the 2nd DB, 3rd rd Toby G/DB,4th Anthony DIxon/LB,5th MIcah Johnson/DB, 5a LInval Joseph,6 Center/OL 7 DB 7a TE.

I'd like to get OL, DB,DB RB, LB,LB,DL,OL, TE/WR Adjust the order for the best available.
We need a corners and safeties. I like Chris Cook,Kam Chancellor, Myron Rolle, JAviar Arinas in the later rounds & COdy Grim LAte. LB I like AJ Edds,Pat Angerer,Micah Johnson and McClain & Weatherspoon.
jollyrob68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:18 AM   #3
The Definiti0n
Bench Warmer
 
The Definiti0n's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 360
Member Number: 13192
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steelers best bets

I really like ur thoughts on McKnight I think he would be a great compliment to Mendy
__________________
The Definiti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Steelers best bets

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Definiti0n View Post
I really like ur thoughts on McKnight I think he would be a great compliment to Mendy
Hope you dont mind if I comment of McKnight...

ProFootballWeekly & NFLdraftscout.com both have him listed as a late 2nd-early third round pick.

He is 6'0" 198 and is expected to run the forty at about 4.45.

A one year starter, he had 1,014 yards this last year for an average of 6.2 yards with a career ypc average at an impressive 6.4

instincive versatile runner who can change gears instantly. One of the better "hands" running backs in this draft and could actually line up as a reciever if needed. Not an in between the tackles back, but rather an elusive runner with excellent lateral cutback ability Will need a Vet to help him work out some ball security problems, and will benefit from some time in an NFL strength program.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Steelers best bets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerNation12 View Post
Got time to kill. So figured I'd post some of the players I think are the best bets for the Steelers come April.

Joe Haden, Don't care about his 40. The guy has natural cover skills and ability to read routes. Hard worker and wants to be good.

Nate Allen, another guy with great work ethic, with leadership ability. Has great instincts and you really need that in a safety. Would be a great guy next to Troy for years to come.

Charles Brown, tons of upside with this guy. Could develop into a solid LT or RT. Will require some coaching to work with his leverage.

Micah Johnson, could be a bargin with his woes at the combine. But the guy has natural talent and shouldn't cost more than a 3rd day pick.

Mike Williams, high risk/high reward player. We have guys on this team that will wipe him into shape, He could end up being the best WR from this class with the right situation and coaching.

Joe McKnight, a less talented Reggie Bush. But has good hands coming outta the backfield and would be a very good 3rd down back and back up to Mendenhall.

Dorin Dickerson, local product. Solid speed and hands. Has played, HB,WR and Te in his career. Would be a solid H back for us.

Again this just a short list of players Steelers should look at. NOT a mock draft.
At this point I am still hoping that Thomas falls to us. He would actually fill two of our weakest positions as a FS/CB.
If we go a different route in the first round, I would love to grab Nate Allen in the second.
Charles Brown I'm not real impressed with. He doesnt look "strong" to me and I think that he might t do better in a strict zone blocking scheme like Denvers, then he would in ours in which he would have to zone and power block.
Micah Johnson is one of my favorite players. I agree that he would be a steal in the later rounds. I
think some team will reach for Dorin Dickerson and will draft him as a WR rather than a TE or H-back. I would rather see Nate Byham or Michael Hoomanawanu drafted someher in the 6-7 round range Both are very good blocking TE's with marginal/good hands.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
Steely McSmash
Team Captain
 
Steely McSmash's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Malden, MA (from the South Hills)
Posts: 781
Member Number: 8814
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steelers best bets

Dickerson intrigues me as a utility guy. Not an overwhelming need though...

Could be a lot of things potentially

H-back TE - on the small side for this
Slot receiver - Good size, speed, needs to mature as a receiver
3rd down back - Good hands, blocking skills
__________________
Steely McSmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #7
vrabinec
Assistant Coach
 
vrabinec's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,355
Member Number: 8821
Thanks: 321
Thanked 1,175 Times in 615 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed
Default Re: Steelers best bets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
At this point I am still hoping that Thomas falls to us. He would actually fill two of our weakest positions as a FS/CB.
If we go a different route in the first round, I would love to grab Nate Allen in the second.
Charles Brown I'm not real impressed with. He doesnt look "strong" to me and I think that he might t do better in a strict zone blocking scheme like Denvers, then he would in ours in which he would have to zone and power block.
Micah Johnson is one of my favorite players. I agree that he would be a steal in the later rounds. I
think some team will reach for Dorin Dickerson and will draft him as a WR rather than a TE or H-back. I would rather see Nate Byham or Michael Hoomanawanu drafted someher in the 6-7 round range Both are very good blocking TE's with marginal/good hands.
I've been hopping from board to board, and it looks to me like about 25 team's fans have Micah penciled in as a "sleeper". Usually, when a guy is that much of a sleeper, he goes pretty early because it means a lot of people like him. I think he goes in the late second or early third.

p.s. I agree with you about McKnight. My only reservation is that, if we take a running back in the second, which we would most likely have to do, then we would be left with using a 3rd on either a guard (we have enough of those types) or a corner (no good value at corner in the third IMO) or both if we go with an ILB like McClain in the first. I'd rather put the load on Mendy and Moore, than hope Gay bounces back or Lewis/Burnette develops AND go in with Essex as the starter with a possible Urbik upgrade. Just too many holes and not enough high picks.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #8
Northside Jonny
Team Captain
 
Northside Jonny's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Denver by way of the Steel City
Posts: 673
Member Number: 5141
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steelers best bets

I like me some Dorin Dickerson. I remember the last famous Steeler with the initials D.D. he was pretty good.
__________________
"We intend to make no bold predictions about what we’re going to do. What we are going to do is promise to have a first-class, blue collar work ethic in how we approach our business." Tomlin
Northside Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:46 AM   #9
taztroy43
Bench Warmer
 
taztroy43's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 368
Member Number: 13325
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steelers best bets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside Jonny View Post
I like me some Dorin Dickerson. I remember the last famous Steeler with the initials D.D. he was pretty good.
Thats the guy that I'm hoping the Steelers pick up in the 3rd round...the guy has the potential to be something special IMO!!!!
taztroy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:13 AM   #10
pancake
Head Coach
 
pancake's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 1,786
Gender: Male
Member Number: 13552
Thanks: 237
Thanked 471 Times in 248 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Steelers best bets

I think we need to get the best CB we can get, followed by OL, DL, LB & RB...
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts