Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,949 Times in 884 Posts
Default Ben... The MJ of the NFL ...?

Allegations of sexual misconduct. The first case "seems" to basically work out in your favor... and then... bam !!! You put yourself right back in a situation that brings up another allegation.... I don't know about you... but I'm riding with Ben on this one (as well as the first one). But this brings a flash-back of when Michael Jackson was accused of sexual deviant behavior ...and then put himself is the same situation again... good grief... Anyway. Here's an insightful article.... Yea. Its another Ben angle... but oh well.....
---------------------------------
Article. 3/8/10:
Let's begin with the usual platitudes: Ben Roethlisberger is innocent until proved guilty. So far, the two-time Super Bowl champion has not been charged with a crime, though police in a small Georgia college town are continuing to investigate the allegation that Roethlisberger sexually assaulted a 20-year-old college student in a bar bathroom early Friday morning.

And with that out of the way, let me pose the question that has plagued many of us since hearing the news that Roethlisberger is the subject of sexual assault allegations for the second time in eight months: Why is a 28-year-old quarterback with a $100 million contract putting himself at risk by socializing and drinking in a club with college kids?

I am not one of those people who believes athletes should have to stay confined to their homes, but after a hotel worker served Roethlisberger with a civil suit last summer accusing him of raping her at a Lake Tahoe hotel in 2008, he should have been smart enough to realize the rules have changed for him.

In other words, the first incident officially put bar-hopping in Milledgeville, Ga., on his "to-don't" list.

I understand that Roethlisberger is single and that clubbing isn't illegal, but if he couldn't see that mixing alcohol, college women, his celebrity and the nightclub scene was courting disaster, he might not be worthy of being the franchise quarterback for one of the most well-run organizations in professional sports.

I know that sounds harsh. If you hold a magnifying glass to Roethlisberger's track record, though, there are definitely some red flags pointing to the fact that he still needs to grow up. Until now, he's received the benefit of the doubt about his maturity. But that officially ended when this criminal investigation began.

It can't be forgotten that Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl, nearly killed himself in a motorcycle accident in June 2006 because he wasn't wearing a helmet, which his then-coach Bill Cowher had insisted he do. Roethlisberger didn't even have a valid Pennsylvania motorcycle license at the time.

That, supposedly, was his wake-up call to become more responsible. When he left the hospital after suffering serious injuries, he said in a statement, "In the past few days, I've gained a new perspective on life."

If that perspective was intended to be mature and enlightened, it apparently didn't stick.

Even with so much to lose, Roethlisberger has continued to behave too much like a frat boy and not enough like the face of his organization.

He has a reputation in Pittsburgh for trying to skip out on his restaurant tabs, according to news reports. There is also a picture of Roethlisberger on the Internet wearing a T-shirt that says "Drink Like A Champion."

And the drink isn't milk.

Several people who saw Roethlisberger out in Milledgeville the other night reported that he bought himself and others shots called "O-Bombs," a flavored rum-and-energy drink mixture. Inside the club where the assault allegedly occurred, according to a report from ESPN's Kelly Naqi, Roethlisberger and his friends were inviting women they didn't know into their VIP area and offering them free drinks.

A good night if your name is Ben Smith. Totally idiotic if you're Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

There's a reason you never hear about Tom Brady partying in bars or clubs, or have yet to see any unflattering photos of him on the Internet. That isn't to say Brady is perfect, but he seems to understand that he's a brand worth millions and that he has too much at stake to put himself in situations in which he'd be the one who loses out. Derek Jeter is Mr. Social and a serial dater, but you've never heard his name associated with any controversy, despite living in New York City for more than a decade.

Roethlisberger apparently didn't understand that his high-profile status mixed with the pending civil case meant he could no longer afford to maintain social habits that mirror those of Bluto from "Animal House." At the minimum, he should have realized he became a potential target the moment that civil case was filed.

In that case, Roethlisberger has admitted that he and Andrea McNulty -- the woman who filed the civil case against him in Nevada -- had consensual sex. McNulty's lawyer has already indicated to TMZ that he will be watching the developments in Georgia very closely.

Roethlisberger's reputation has taken a major hit, and I wouldn't blame the Rooney family if they're having second thoughts today about the $102 million investment they made in him. A good quarterback is supposed to see the entire field and anticipate plays before they happen. It seems as if this quarterback's vision leaves much to be desired.

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!

Last edited by SteelerEmpire; 03-08-2010 at 10:20 PM.
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,196 Times in 3,491 Posts
Default Re: Ben... The MJ of the NFL ...?

Quote:
A good quarterback is supposed to see the entire field and anticipate plays before they happen. It seems as if this quarterback's vision leaves much to be desired.
bens specialty has always been taking sacks.

or in this case "in the sack".

(i just thought i would get that out there being that this thread is destined for a merger or lockdown. plus ben is hardly michael jordan...

not yet anyways).
Old 03-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post

In that case, Roethlisberger has admitted that he and Andrea McNulty -- the woman who filed the civil case against him in Nevada -- had consensual sex. McNulty's lawyer has already indicated to TMZ that he will be watching the developments in Georgia very closely.

Oh what? He DID have sex with her? I didn't even know that lol
Old 03-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
I understand that Roethlisberger is single and that clubbing isn't illegal, but if he couldn't see that mixing alcohol, college women, his celebrity and the nightclub scene was courting disaster, he might not be worthy of being the franchise quarterback for one of the most well-run organizations in professional sports.
Yeah, maybe we should go back to a QB who doesn't like girls and has a penchant for throwing backbreaking picks in AFCCGs, like Korkie.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
JackHammer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 5640

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Yeah, maybe we should go back to a QB who doesn't like girls and has a penchant for throwing backbreaking picks in AFCCGs, like Korkie.
JackHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:24 AM   #6
nikstar
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15652

Obviously our stud quarterback just has sex with these women and than they see the cash grab by sueing him and bring up allegations when nothing ever was mentioned beforee the confrontation. Ben has to bang himself a quality b-celebrity wife and get married and have a kid. No Jessica Simpson, think Jennefer Love Hewitt..
he's a partier, obvious by his style on and off the field. He has yet to do anything wrong. Make her apologize for accusing you and move on to training camp.

don't forget to wear a condom, maybe just at all times, even in the shower.
and rack up some wins this year god damn it, i want this superbowl every 3 years streak to continue
nikstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:59 AM   #7
JEFF4i
Banned

Member Number: 10645

The analogy isn't necessarily a bad one.
JEFF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:46 AM   #8
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

I think the article is dead on. BEN NEEDS TO GROW UP AND THINK OF THE TEAM MORE!!! You're now a target Ben. Quit leading with your chin.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:50 AM   #9
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
bens specialty has always been taking sacks.

or in this case "in the sack".

(i just thought i would get that out there being that this thread is destined for a merger or lockdown. plus ben is hardly michael jordan...

not yet anyways).
I'm thinkin' the Mj being referred to is Michael Jackson.

For some reason, the thought of Ben throwing that TD to Santonio in the superbowl and then grabbing his crotch just cracks me up.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #10
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardave View Post
I think the article is dead on. BEN NEEDS TO GROW UP AND THINK OF THE TEAM MORE!!! You're now a target Ben. Quit leading with your chin.
Absolutely dead on post here...
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote