Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-09-2010, 06:01 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ravens, fans likely enjoying Roethlisberger's mess

Ravens, fans likely enjoying Roethlisberger's mess
Tuesday, March 09, 2010
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

You know what they're saying about you in Baltimore, don't you?

"You people in Pittsburgh really have a lot of nerve calling us 'Baltimorons' ... "

They're right.

At least for now there no longer is any justification to make fun of the Ravens or their faithful fans, no matter how enjoyable the experience.

This goes back to Friday, a day that was celebrated in Baltimore just as much as the Fourth of July will be this summer. That was the day the Ravens traded for big-time wide receiver Anquan Boldin, instantly becoming the team to beat in the AFC North Division. It also was the day that news broke of another sexual assault allegation against Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

It's hard to say what made Ravens fans happier. I'm guessing the Roethlisberger mess.

Think how you would feel if, say, Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin found himself in a similar jackpot.

You get the idea.

No, it's not very admirable to revel in someone's misfortune. It's despicable, actually. But we're all human beings with human frailties. Occasionally, we enjoy seeing someone squirm, especially when that person is the star player for our team's hated rival.

Well, Roethlisberger is squirming, big time.

So are the Steelers.

How those Ravens fans must be loving every second of it.

The Roethlisberger case might not be resolved soon. Investigators in Milledgeville, Ga., where he was accused of the sexual assault early Friday morning by a 20-year-old college student, held a brief news conference Monday to say they still want to interview seven potential witnesses as well as Roethlisberger for a second time. He hasn't been charged in the alleged incident but is taking the matter seriously enough that he has hired prominent Atlanta lawyer Ed Garland, who has represented such notable NFL players as the Ravens' Ray Lewis and Jamal Lewis in high-profile criminal cases. Garland released a statement Monday, saying, "The facts show that there was no criminal activity. No sexual assault occurred."

No matter the outcome of the case, Roethlisberger will lose to at least some degree. His reputation has taken another big hit. This is the second sexual assault allegation against him in eight months. The first led to a civil suit in July by a Nevada woman, who claimed Roethlisberger raped her at a Lake Tahoe resort in July 2008. That case is dragging through the legal system.

Here's the best part for giddy Ravens fans: All of this leaves the Steelers in a terrible spot.

Franchise quarterbacks don't come along often. The Steelers have one in Roethlisberger -- a two-time Super Bowl winner -- and have invested $102 million in him, making him the face of the team. The Rooneys hardly could have imagined that Roethlisberger twice would make these kinds of headlines.

If it were a marginal player involved, the Steelers almost certainly would have released him. They cut wide receiver Cedrick Wilson in March 2008, after he was involved in a domestic abuse case. But the team can't release Roethlisberger. It needs him to win games.

Hypocrisy? Sure, it is.

Do stars get preferential treatment in life? Absolutely. The Steelers didn't release linebacker James Harrison after he was involved in a domestic case about the same time as Wilson. That might have had something to do with him being a Pro Bowl player a season earlier.

Is this turning out to be a very entertaining winter for Ravens fans? You know that answer.

What's funny is Baltimore didn't need the Roethlisberger case to make Friday a terrific day. Getting Boldin for third- and fourth-round draft picks in a trade with the Arizona Cardinals could have stood alone and served that purpose.

"The Ravens just got better," coach John Harbaugh told the Baltimore media after the team immediately signed Boldin to a four-year, $28 million contract extension.

A lot better, actually.

The Ravens' defense, though aging, still is led by Lewis and remains good enough to win low-scoring games. Now, with the additions of Boldin and deep-threat wide receiver Donte' Stallworth to quarterback Joe Flacco and running back Ray Rice, the offense is capable of winning high-scoring games.

Boldin fills the Ravens' most glaring need.

"I believe I can help, maybe get them to another level," he told the team's website.

In unrelated personnel moves Monday, the Steelers signed two free agents -- safety Will Allen and wide receiver Arnaz Battle -- and agreed to contract terms with a third -- offensive tackle Jonathan Scott. Then Monday night, they reached an agreement with safety Ryan Clark, who appeared ready to leave as a free agent. Keeping Clark is good, unexpected news. He is a proven player to line up in the secondary next to Troy Polamalu.

Somehow, though, I don't think it ruined the day for Ravens fans.
Ron Cook: rcook@post-gazette.com. Ron Cook can be heard on the "Vinnie and Cook" show weekdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. More articles by this author
First published on March 9, 2010 at 12:00 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10068...#ixzz0hgDGDYlm
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: Ravens, fans likely enjoying Roethlisberger's mess

I don't know why people keep bringing up Cedric Wilson as a standard of comparison, either in this or the Harrison case. Wilson got cut because he punched a woman in the face in front of a room full of people. Harrison was yelling and kicking inanimate objects. See the difference? Ben, it's not clear whether he did anything at all yet. Although he has pretty clearly solidified his reputation as a world-class dope for even being in a position like this again.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774

Quote:
"You people in Pittsburgh really have a lot of nerve calling us 'Baltimorons' ... "
If your from the Eastern Shore, we call them that here. Whatever... Ravens fans around me aren't saying a thing, none of them care really.
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
Ravnet
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13288

Ravens fans aren't reacting to this story like fans of others team (Redskins/Eagles/Cowboys etc.) who have renamed Ben, Rapistberger, probably because we've had to deal with the Ray Lewis being falsely accused repeatedly.

Baltimore fans have had to put up with Ray being called a murderer by every single fanbase, particularly Pittsburgh's, so unless Ben is proven to have not been in Georgia nor to have ever met the girl, I reserve the right to call Ben an abusive rapist at every and any opportunity
Ravnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
Crow-Magnon
Team Captain

Member Number: 9500

Personally, I find the whole Ben situation a travesty. If he's guilty, then he's shown that his NFL career and his life in general is being flushed down the crapper. And if he's innocent of this and the other allegation, then his name and reputation will be tarnished eevn though he is guiltless (because that's just the way life is- unfair though it may be).

But as a Ravens fan, it does not make me dance with glee that my team's bitter rivals are suffering QB woes due to allegations of rape. If Ben takes a legal shot in the backfield and goes down, that's football. But this is something much, much more.

So, Ron Cook, all I can tell you is that while I may be a Baltimoron, you're simply an effing moron First Class if you truly believe the average Ravens fan is "giddy" over the fact that Roethlisberger is under investigation for another alleged rape/assault. As much as having Polomalu out last year helped the Ravens cause, only a few Baltimore Ravens fans (and I mean a few) were "happy" that Troy was so injured that he missed most of the season. If the Ravens are going to spank the Steelers on the gridiron, we want it to be on the up-and-up; not tainted in this fashion.

Once again........eff you, Ron Cook.
Crow-Magnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
#1 Big Ben Fan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
Personally, I find the whole Ben situation a travesty. If he's guilty, then he's shown that his NFL career and his life in general is being flushed down the crapper. And if he's innocent of this and the other allegation, then his name and reputation will be tarnished eevn though he is guiltless (because that's just the way life is- unfair though it may be).

But as a Ravens fan, it does not make me dance with glee that my team's bitter rivals are suffering QB woes due to allegations of rape. If Ben takes a legal shot in the backfield and goes down, that's football. But this is something much, much more.

So, Ron Cook, all I can tell you is that while I may be a Baltimoron, you're simply an effing moron First Class if you truly believe the average Ravens fan is "giddy" over the fact that Roethlisberger is under investigation for another alleged rape/assault. As much as having Polomalu out last year helped the Ravens cause, only a few Baltimore Ravens fans (and I mean a few) were "happy" that Troy was so injured that he missed most of the season. If the Ravens are going to spank the Steelers on the gridiron, we want it to be on the up-and-up; not tainted in this fashion.

Once again........eff you, Ron Cook.
Nice post man. As a Steelers and also a Big Ben fan all I can do is sit back and let the facts come out. If Ben is guilty then I hope he is punished to the max of the law. If innocent then I hope he learns to not put himself into these type of situations for a third time.

Its a mess and I hate it bar none.

I agree 100 percent eff you, Ron Cook.
#1 Big Ben Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,123 Times in 1,315 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

The majority of the Ravens fans I spoke to don't believe he is guilty and actually stated that they (for the sake of the NFL) hope he's not.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Another fine piece of claptrap by the hack known as Ron Cook.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #9
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

I'm sure there are many NFL fans that hate the Steelers that are loving this, but to put that all on one fanbase, albeit a division rival, is stupid. But it would also be naive to think that there aren't probably quite a few in Baltimore, Cleveland and Cincinnati that aren't enjoying this immensly.

Eff them.

Quote:
Think how you would feel if, say, Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin found himself in a similar jackpot.

You get the idea.
God help me, I get the idea Ron.

I paused and almost had an orgasm pondering such a wonderful scenario.
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:07 AM   #10
Ravnet
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post

I think you're cozying up far too much with the Steelers fans; Ben is either a.) a molester/rapist, or b.) an idiot, there is no option "c," unless you want to include "all of the above."

Although I, and most other Ravens fans, may not be "celebrating" Ben's situation as the article overstates, don't think that this isn't sweet redemption for us in the respect that Pittsburgh fans can no longer call Ray a murderer unless they throw their own face-of-the-franchise under the bus as well.

Quote:
As much as having Polomalu out last year helped the Ravens cause, only a few Baltimore Ravens fans (and I mean a few) were "happy" that Troy was so injured that he missed most of the season. If the Ravens are going to spank the Steelers on the gridiron, we want it to be on the up-and-up; not tainted in this fashion.
I would say that this is an understatement of the truth; many, many fans of every team, and not just Ravens followers, hope that their opponents are nicked up for their upcoming contests, and that is just a fact.

While I personally wanted Ben/Troy etc. to be healthy for our games as I wanted to beat Pittsburgh fair-and-square and be able to gloat afterward without any lingering asterisks, it is a mistake to believe that people didn't hope that Troy would sit out for just one more game.

I'm just trying to say that although I, and I'd venture to say most Ravens fans, am not throwing a party over the allegations against Ben, I most certainly don't see this as a "travesty," nor am I joining in solidarity with Pittsburgh fans; we're rivals, and any blow to our opponent makes everything more fun.

The reality is probably that I am quietly happy to see Pittsburgh fans suffer and have to gag on a bit of their own medicine. Several posters on this board pride themselves on the notion that they follow the "model" organization of the NFL which tolerates no funny business; the fact that Ben will be allowed to slide off by the Rooneys and co. gives me joy as I can, at a later date, rub it into Steelers fans

This isn't a family member or friend going through a criminal investigation, it's an athlete for a football team that we follow, so spare me the "human aspect" of this debate.
Ravnet is offline   Reply With Quote