Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 03-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332
Default Derek Anderson-"ruthless" Browns fans "don't deserve a winner"

Derek Anderson-"ruthless" Browns fans "don't deserve a winner"
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...erve-a-winner/

Former Browns quarterback Derek Anderson, cut on Tuesday by the team, ripped Cleveland fans via an e-mail sent to Jeff Schudel of the News-Herald.

"The fans are ruthless and don't deserve a winner," Anderson said. "I will never forget getting cheered when I was injured. I know at times I wasn't great. I hope and pray I'm playing when my team comes to town and [we] roll them."

Anderson also said that, after the 2009 season ended, he heard from no one with the organization until learning that he had been cut.

The cheering incident to which Anderson refers occurred in November 2008, when fans reacted happily to the fact that Anderson was on the ground, writhing in pain. As it turned out, he had torn a knee ligament.

The team's quarterback quandary traces to the 2007 season. Rookie Brady Quinn held out in a contract dispute, making Anderson the backup to Charlie Frye in Week One. Frye was benched during the 34-7 loss to the Steelers, and he was traded to Seattle a couple of days later. Anderson took the reins.

It was presumed that Anderson was merely holding the spot until Quinn was ready, which of course meant that Anderson experienced no pressure. Which allowed him to hold the ball a little more loosely and play well. Until the playoffs were on the line and the pressure caused him not to play well.

After the season, the Browns badly misread the situation, re-signing Anderson and making him the starter. Inevitably, he held the ball tighter and looked over his shoulder and ultimately was benched. After Quinn was injured, Anderson returned, only to suffer the knee injury that prompted fans to applaud.

So Phil Savage/Romeo Crennel regime made a huge mess in 2008. Finally, someone is trying to clean it up in a decisive way.

This time around, we can't fault Browns fans for cheering.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
Default Re: Derek Anderson-"ruthless" Browns fans "don't deserve a winner"

Sounds like somebody is butthurt.

You know, Derek. You aren't exactly going to win fans by saying things like this.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post

You know, Derek. You aren't exactly going to win fans by saying things like this.
He's right though most of those Brown fans are scumbags.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

LOL at the fans

and

LOL at D.A

this is one double whammy of a fail.
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post

you know..I'd be more sympathetic if this was say, Timmy Couch back in the day who had no form of an offensive line and was on an expansion days.

DA though...just the way he was able to hold down the job, while continually throwing INT's..just frustrated me to no end, and he never got any better....never, ever.

And for the record I nor any real Browns fans cheered on his injury..but my god, I'm happy he's gone, 2 years too late, but thank god he's gone.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
He's right though most of those Brown fans are scumbags.
Like Steeler fans have never been accused of something similiar during the Mark Malone years (from what I've read)?

Every fanbase can get nasty, though I think with DA/Timmy couch's injury it was more them cheering the fact that the backup QB was coming in, rather than the starting QB getting injured.

EDIT: To add, I can recall overhearing Steeler fans being overjoyed that Maddox was injured during the '05 SB season, so that Charlie Batch could play. Again, some people....don't think.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodWoodsonwasprettycool View Post
Like Steeler fans have never been accused of something similiar during the Mark Malone years (from what I've read)?

Every fanbase can get nasty, though I think with DA/Timmy couch's injury it was more them cheering the fact that the backup QB was coming in, rather than the starting QB getting injured.

EDIT: To add, I can recall overhearing Steeler fans being overjoyed that Maddox was injured during the '05 SB season, so that Charlie Batch could play. Again, some people....don't think.
i can say ever fanbase has it less then desireable fans. But the mark malone thing he drove i think every steeler fan insane throw 2 or 3 int and then he would throw a TD point in the air celebrate like he just won the SB. I have to disagree with you though the fans DID cheer he was hurt though.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsdancefloor View Post
i can say ever fanbase has it less then desireable fans. But the mark malone thing he drove i think every steeler fan insane throw 2 or 3 int and then he would throw a TD point in the air celebrate like he just won the SB. I have to disagree with you though the fans DID cheer he was hurt though.
DA sounds like his illegitamate son.

seriously, he'd walk back to the bench with an "Ah shucks" smile on his face after throwing an INT.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

lol so that wasnt the whole of the fanbase the browns always celebrate the injured player. twatish fanbase.

i will never cheer for an injured player its cruel. the browns fans that did that should have their tongues chopped off.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #10
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodWoodsonwasprettycool View Post
Touche'.

And you're right....every fanbase has their village idiots. I admit to being one myself sometimes when I get a tad overzealous about defending my team (not just the Steelers, but my alma mater U of Memphis as well). Well, if we weren't passionate about our team we could not be considered fans, eh?

But cheering someone's injury is just plain ol' tacky and stupid. I don't care who the player is or how much you don't like their performance on the field.