Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #11
Steeldude
Living Legend

Default Re: Toby Gerhart to Pittsburgh?

Quote:
Mendenhall is a bruiser
if he is a bruiser he hasn't shown it yet.

why do so many knock moore? since he has been here is has been the most consistent RB when called on. he has shown he can be a clutch player. the steelers need to utilize him more often on 3rd down or passing situations like they did in 08/09.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #12
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

No thanks don't want Gerhart
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #13
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside Jonny View Post
Would rather have Anthony Dixon of Mississippi State big beast of a RB 6'1" 233 LBS.
[YOUTUBE]GTZ7J8FtKkM[/YOUTUBE]
He is experienced playing in 48 games and carried the ball 910 times not quite as fast as Gehart but IMO a more powerful runner. Oh yeah a 40 inch vertical for those goaline plays. He also has better hands than Gehart wich is becoming a necessity for backs in todays NFL. I also believe playing in the SEC Dixon has faced much tougher D's than Gehart.
lol they mention Tebow who even isn't in the game.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #14
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonslow View Post
And we have a lot of muscle considering the array of fullbacks we've had on the roster lately. Muscle is something we are not lacking. What we're now lacking as of this offseason is "Fast" Willie Parker. This would be a great time to replace him with another speedy back who can get outside the tackles and make things happen.
Getting outside the tackles is not the M.O. in the NFL. Running east-west is strictly a college ploy that works with wide hashmarks. In the NFL you need to run North-South and at the most, "off tackle".

Mendenhall has the size, speed and quickness to run between the tackles and bounce things outside if he sees it. I think we need a complimentary back that can pick a hole and hit it for a solid gain. Lots of guys like that in this draft like Dixon, Tate, Blount, Bell, Gerhardt, Paschall, etc. Hopefully somebody that fits the bill is there in the 4th.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #15
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
lol they mention Tebow who even isn't in the game.
I wonder how many games were played last season where Tebow's name was mentioned yet his team was not on the field? LOL
Media= Tebow Boner
Old 03-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #16
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonslow View Post
I love Ben Tate. He ran well at the combine (4.43-40) and if I had to pick a sleeper to be the best pro runningback in the future, I'm going with Tate. He's just one of those guys that continues to impress all the time. I'd be ecstatic if we snagged him in the 3rd or 4th. My only issue is with his receiving skills out of the backfield. He's shown he can be serviceable, but not an elite third-down back thus far. I'll be interested to see how he turns out.
I like Tate too. Good size. Better speed. Great acceleration. Patient with blocks and bursts through them. Not afraid to ram into a stacked middle. Has the speed to really compliment Mendy on 3rd downs. I'd grab him in the 3rd.

Further, Tate would close the Redman chapter of Steelers history forever.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #17
vrabinec
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8821
Thanked 1,175 Times in 615 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed

Gerhart would be a great compliment to Mendy. I think he's a 2010 version of Larry Csonka. I'd love to have him. Just not with either of our first two picks, because I think we need a CB and a G more, and there are other backs (some of whom have been brought up) who would serve the same purpose. Maybe not with quite the pizzaz Gerhart brings, (he does have great vision and quick cuts for a big guy) but it's not like whoever we get to compliment Mendy is gonna get the ball 25 times a game anyway. We're looking for a short yardage guy who minght get 10 touches a game at most.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #18
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
if he is a bruiser he hasn't shown it yet.

why do so many knock moore? since he has been here is has been the most consistent RB when called on. he has shown he can be a clutch player. the steelers need to utilize him more often on 3rd down or passing situations like they did in 08/09.
lol no, not even in '08. That was one hella overrated campaign against a bunch of cupcake defenses (except for the giants, where he had one good run and barely did anything else the rest of the game). Moore isnt an RB that this team should be comfortable with if he becomes the #2 for us on the depth chart.
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #19
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

smh...were you watching Steeler games last year? RB was not the problem, or even something we lacked rounds 6 or 7? maybe.....2nd? Hell No!
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #20
SS43Polamalu
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15886

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
smh...were you watching Steeler games last year? RB was not the problem, or even something we lacked rounds 6 or 7? maybe.....2nd? Hell No!
RB may not have been a problem but word from the top is we're gonna be running the ball much more and we'll need some speed and depth to go with Mendy, more so if Big Ben gets suspended. With DD at QB you can bet we'll be running the ball even more then we wanted, not saying DD is bad but it's just how it'll go. I say we look at someone like McKnight in the 3rd round, he's fast and would be a nice compliment to Mendy.