Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 03-10-2010, 03:50 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,309 Times in 1,407 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Tomlin critical to Clark re-signing with Steelers

Had he signed a contract with the Miami Dolphins, Ryan Clark said he was going to wear No. 43 for his new team, a salute to his safety partner for the past four years with the Steelers -- Troy Polamalu.

But, because of a timely and reassuring phone call from Mike Tomlin, Clark can go back to wearing his usual No. 25 jersey for the Steelers. And be glad when he finally gets to see No. 43 -- a rare sight for most of the 2009 season -- back in the Steelers' secondary.

Hours after signing a four-year, $14 million contract that included a $3 million signing bonus, Clark said Polamalu's absence led to a lot of problems on the Steelers' defense, including those endured by himself and other players in the secondary over a five-game losing streak.

"Obviously, we've got to have Troy," Clark said. "You can play it down as much as you want, and say the rest of us have to make plays. But Troy being out there gives us a unique look as a defense, gives coach [Dick] LeBeau opportunities to call different things. We definitely need to get him back."

The Steelers felt much the same way about Clark, especially after he visited with the Dolphins Monday.

Unarmed with even so much as a contract offer from the Steelers, Clark said he went to Miami intending to agree to a deal with the Dolphins. He was so sure he would sign with them he did not bother scheduling a visit with another National Football League team.

But, after receiving a contract offer from the Dolphins, Clark said he got a phone call from Tomlin and was told the Steelers were going to fight to keep him. Team president Art Rooney II and negotiator Omar Khan quickly put together a contract, and Clark immediately boarded a flight back to Pittsburgh, in effect, leaving the Dolphins standing at the altar.

"It was always the situation that I wanted to be here. ... I didn't want to leave," Clark said. "I think when it clicked for me, [when] I was in Miami, starting to talk contract money, and to have coach Tomlin call me and say, we're going to fight for you. To have coach LeBeau call me and say, 'I don't have control over negotiation, but don't let negotiations sour you to the point where you don't understand that we want you here.' That was big for me."

Clark said he didn't "use" the Dolphins to get a deal done with the Steelers.

And he said the Steelers' move to sign free-agent safety Will Allen to a three-year, $4.4 million contract earlier Monday had no impact on his decision. Clark said Tomlin told him a couple days earlier the Steelers were going to sign Allen, 27, who played six seasons in Tampa Bay, but not to be his replacement.

Instead, Allen will replace veteran Tyrone Carter, an unrestricted free agent who is not expected to be re-signed.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10069/1041460-66.stm
Old 03-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141
Default Re: Tomlin critical to Clark re-signing with Steelers

Well nobody can question who the players have respect for can they? I thought he was supposed to be to young to get the job done. It says alot when a guy like Clark holds coach T in such high regard. Great Job Coach.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
Heart4Steelers
Water Boy

Member Number: 3550

The way Troy sacrifices his body I am afraid Troy may have a short career in the NFL
Old 03-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside Jonny View Post
Well nobody can question who the players have respect for can they? I thought he was supposed to be to young to get the job done. It says alot when a guy like Clark holds coach T in such high regard. Great Job Coach.

I agree Tomlin has won the respect of his players and the team believes in him. Of course if you posted a poll about Tomlin you would still have 30-40% that will question whether he can coach. I am so puzzled when I see Statement's that had it not been for Ben Tomlin would have never won a SB.

Well the same can be Said of Bellick of New England with Tom Brady, and many other Teams of course you need a good QB to Win a SB. Tomlin is the guy for this team and he will be talked about in the Likes of Knoll & Cowher as years go by.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsteeler View Post
I agree Tomlin has won the respect of his players and the team believes in him. Of course if you posted a poll about Tomlin you would still have 30-40% that will question whether he can coach. I am so puzzled when I see Statement's that had it not been for Ben Tomlin would have never won a SB.

Well the same can be Said of Bellick of New England with Tom Brady, and many other Teams of course you need a good QB to Win a SB. Tomlin is the guy for this team and he will be talked about in the Likes of Knoll & Cowher as years go by.
Exactly, the fact is he did have Ben. What was he supposed to do bench Ben and start Charlie? I be the first to say that I hated the hire at first but he has won me over.
Coach em up Tomlin . Go Steelers
Old 03-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsteeler View Post

Speaking of Cowher, it can be easily said that if he didn't have Big Ben, he would have never won a Super Bowl. Ben was BIG in the three playoff games leading up to Super Bowl XL and if not for his tackle in the divisional round, we might have never gotten to Denver for the AFC Championship Game.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

I thought Clark called Tomlin telling him that he wanted to stay? At least that's what one of these links about the deal said...
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:10 AM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,996 Times in 3,418 Posts

now that the dust has settled, people are being more honest with the situation as opposed to delivering (and buying into) the typical cliche coachspeak-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post

Hours after signing a four-year, $14 million contract that included a $3 million signing bonus, Clark said Polamalu's absence led to a lot of problems on the Steelers' defense, including those endured by himself and other players in the secondary over a five-game losing streak.

"Obviously, we've got to have Troy," Clark said. "You can play it down as much as you want, and say the rest of us have to make plays. But Troy being out there gives us a unique look as a defense, gives coach [Dick] LeBeau opportunities to call different things. We definitely need to get him back."

The Steelers felt much the same way about Clark, especially after he visited with the Dolphins Monday.
sorry ryan, but you are wrong. hundereds of messageboard posters will tell you as much....
Old 03-11-2010, 05:39 AM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,633 Times in 1,570 Posts

anyone else find it odd that they waited till "the last hour" to even make him an offer ? obviously there was something going on behind the scenes, otherwise why wait till the guy is ready to sign elsewhere before make him an offer ? why not make that offer a week or 2 ago? me thinks clark wasn't thier first choice to be free safety next year ...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote