Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-10-2010, 09:19 AM   #11
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408
Default Re: QB Options if Ben is Suspended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrabinec View Post
Two ways he would get suspended, the first is if he's just charged and not convicted, the second is if he's charged and convicted. If he's charged and not convicted, then IMO the Rooney's would most likely suspend him until his trial was over. If not, then Goodell might suspend him indefinitely until his trial is over. I don't see the league just saying that he's suspended for 4 games before they know whether he's guilty or not, because, what do they do if he's convicted and not sentenced? Give him a second suspension? That would sound like he's getting punished twice for the same offence. Seeing as how he has a past history of legal issues, I think they go with the indefinitely. So, the legal procedure might take a year. IMO, if he's charged, he's not playing football this year. Of course, if he's convicted, then he'll miss this year, because he'll be in court and then he'll miss another 1-5 years in jail. Doubt there would be a suspension after that.

The Rooneys can only suspend him for four games, I believe.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #12
vrabinec
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8821
Thanked 1,136 Times in 597 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
The Rooneys can only suspend him for four games, I believe.
Even if he's charged with a felony? I'm pretty sure he's got a conduct clause that pretty much puts him at their mercy if he gets charged with a felony. Definitely gives them the right to void the contract.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #13
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclark99 View Post
Dixon did well last year against the Ravens, however the only concern I would have with Dixon is that he doesn't have enough starting experience. He only started one year at Oregon. If Ben is suspended, I think the FO needs to bring in a quality veteren such as a Derek Anderson, Jake Delhomme, or possibly trade Sweed for Leftwich and a low round draft pick. Ben needs to stop putting himself in situations that can be negative for him and the organization. If Ben is charged or convicted, he will not be a Steeler very long. Rooney's will not put up with this kind of behavior and they shouldn't based on the amount of cash that he is receiving.

If for some reason Ben is not able to play. (Which I don't see this happening) Dixon will get that Starting experience like any other QB by playing. I have faith in the FO that the best decision will be made to make this team the best.

Glad we fans don't have control of what goes on. It is always easy to make statements about what you would do and not do when you are not directly responsible. That is why the Head Coach, Assistant Coaches, & QB take so much criticism for what happens on and off the field.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #14
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrabinec View Post
Even if he's charged with a felony? I'm pretty sure he's got a conduct clause that pretty much puts him at their mercy if he gets charged with a felony. Definitely gives them the right to void the contract.
Regardless I am pretty sure the CBA only allows teams to suspend a player for four games. The Commish is under no such limitations, of course.

Now, getting rid of Ben and his contract is a different issue (and more than a bit premature). Although, it would probably end up in court, because the players argue in these situations that they have already earned the guaranteed monies they are owed.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #15
Shoes
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 6382

I like Dixon and I'd take Jeff Garcia over Anderson / Delhomme.
Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #16
+NuBbS+
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8655

i just wanna say, the steelers are not going to cut or trade ben. reason being is that his style of play turns a bad team into a competitor. so that talk can get thrown out. as for suspension by the team or the league, i see that as more possible than to trade or cut him. 4 games? i can live with dennis dixon under center. all this would do is wake ben up and say if i mess up one more time i'm out of this town which is definitely something that he doesnt want to do. especially if dixon comes in a tears it up which he is capable of doing.
+NuBbS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #17
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927

I watched the first rats game last night again. Dennis played that game with 24 hours notice and real prep to start. It was unbelievable. That kid has the tools, and more importantly the mental toughness to not only succeed, but star in the NFL. He's every bit as elusive as Ben, but has that "X factor" Korky had early in his career. He can take off like a shot. We saw that sevaral times - the rats looked like they were just standing there helpless. He made pass plays in succession that completed drives.

I have no concerns about Dennis running the offense. Imagine how good he'd be if he was actually prepared and was in the "groove" of starting week in and week out.

Quote:
Now, getting rid of Ben and his contract is a different issue (and more than a bit premature). Although, it would probably end up in court, because the players argue in these situations that they have already earned the guaranteed monies they are owed.
Ben for Jason Campbell and the Skins' #1. Mr Snyder'd jump on that.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #18
vrabinec
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Regardless I am pretty sure the CBA only allows teams to suspend a player for four games. The Commish is under no such limitations, of course.

You think it would be premature to release him if he's charged? I'm not so sure. What are they supposed to do in the mean time? He'd be in and out of court, the thing would be hanging over every practice, every telecast, every word that's spoken about the Steelers, just like it is now, and all the while there's the possibility that he might go to jail, and the Steelers appeared to "stick up" for a guy who, if convicted, will be considered not only a sexual assaulter, but a rapist. You talking about a collossal cluster fark. MAYBE they wait to see what the consent among the fans is, but there's a tendency among fans to want to keep players at first when players are charged, but then, as the facts come out and the prosecution builds their case, the fans turn on not only the player, but the organization. I'm telling you, ig he's charged with this, then I don't see the Rooney's wanting the Steeler organization associated with the acts that come out of the prosecution's side, because the prosecution will be trying everything they can to paint him in as insidious a way as possible, because THEIR asses will be on the line at that point. They'll paint Ben every color of vile wretch, you know the fat millionaire 30 year-old who thinks money can buy the innocent, sweet little 19 year-old coed. It will be a circus, and IMO the Rooneys will opt out and cut ties.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #19
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Four words vrab. Paid leave of absense.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #20
vrabinec
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
Four words vrab. Paid leave of absense.
Are you talkin' about me or Ben? You know how optimistic I am by nature...