Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #21
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891
Default Re: QB Options if Ben is Suspended?

Maybe we can get Vick, he doesn't have as much baggage at this point.

Geezus effing Kristmas on a Cracker!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #22
BritishSteel
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 878

If he's suspended, there's nothing to suggest they won't go with Dixon - they had no problem throwing Ben in when Maddox got injured. It's what they do as far as cover's concerned - do they draft a QB as cover in the second day? Do they look to trade one of the 5th round picks and say Sweed for a decent NFL back-up somewhere else? Do they make an offer to Batch and hope he stays healthy?

I think the main thing that comes out of this is that we need to hope he isn't charged.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #23
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
I like Dixon and I'd take Jeff Garcia over Anderson / Delhomme.

I agree!! I would take anyone over Delhomme. I think the Steeler are fine at QB. Until something happens though Ben is the guy and that is the way the FO will approach it until something says otherwise.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #24
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216

i would take my lumps with dixon. see if he is a franchise type qb. i am really happy that he has had a chance to learn and watch the game early in his career. if troy comes back and we get some improved play from our corners we can ride our defense much like we did in ben's rookie season.
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #25
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

my thought is this. I'm sure the rooneys and tomlin have already had conversations with colon and ben. I think if the conversations werent assuring we would already have a plan b signed or traded for already. There is no way this organization would put a super bowl caliber team in the hands of dennis dixon
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #26
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
my thought is this. I'm sure the rooneys and tomlin have already had conversations with colon and ben. I think if the conversations werent assuring we would already have a plan b signed or traded for already. There is no way this organization would be a super bowl caliber team in the hands of dennis dixon
nor were we with kordell stewert or bubby brister yet we stuck with them for years
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #27
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
nor were we with kordell stewert or bubby brister yet we stuck with them for years
I would say there was a little more loyalty to those two then there is with dixon. Plus it's a win now league. Let's say for a minute ben is charged, and then convicted. 3 losing seasons and Tomlin more then likely is fired.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #28
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

true. it would be a tough time to lose him because there really isnt any good qb's in the draft at 18 and there isnt any on the market. we would be in a tough situation if we lost ben and i pray it dosnt happen
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #29
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrabinec View Post
You think it would be premature to release him if he's charged? I'm not so sure. What are they supposed to do in the mean time? He'd be in and out of court, the thing would be hanging over every practice, every telecast, every word that's spoken about the Steelers, just like it is now, and all the while there's the possibility that he might go to jail, and the Steelers appeared to "stick up" for a guy who, if convicted, will be considered not only a sexual assaulter, but a rapist. You talking about a collossal cluster fark. MAYBE they wait to see what the consent among the fans is, but there's a tendency among fans to want to keep players at first when players are charged, but then, as the facts come out and the prosecution builds their case, the fans turn on not only the player, but the organization. I'm telling you, ig he's charged with this, then I don't see the Rooney's wanting the Steeler organization associated with the acts that come out of the prosecution's side, because the prosecution will be trying everything they can to paint him in as insidious a way as possible, because THEIR asses will be on the line at that point. They'll paint Ben every color of vile wretch, you know the fat millionaire 30 year-old who thinks money can buy the innocent, sweet little 19 year-old coed. It will be a circus, and IMO the Rooneys will opt out and cut ties.
Did the Lakers panic and get rid of Kobe Bryant during his little incident? No, because he was too important to the team.

Also, with sex-crime cases like this, it's pretty well understood that nobody knows what the hell the truth really is until the trial is over, if we ever know. DUI coming home from a strip club? Shots fired after the ever-popular "nightclub altercation involving members of your entourage?" Pretty cut-and-dry. Sex assault case with sparse details? A lot more murky.

So I don't think the team would be appearing to "cut him slack" or anything by taking an attitude of wait-and-see-what-the-courts-say.

Besides, a franchise QB comes along once in a blue moon, and you would feel incredibly stupid if you cut yours in a knee-jerk reaction, only to have the legal proceedings turn out to be nothing, and then he goes and wins two more Super Bowls for the Cowboys.

So .. yeah, I don't see the Steelers doing anything that drastic. But as far as a suspension from the league, this IS Roger Goodell we're talking about, so I wouldn't be shocked.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #30
vrabinec
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8821
Thanked 1,162 Times in 610 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
Did the Lakers panic and get rid of Kobe Bryant during his little incident? No, because he was too important to the team.
Couple things different about that. It was Kobe's first offense, and he was a bilingual pillar of the community type, whereas Ben has a history and doesn't exactly have the image Kobe had. Even then, the girld was the one who dropped the charges. The prosecution was going ahead with it. Most people believe he cut a deal with the girl and paid her off. Or, as the CNN article said:

The 26-year-old Los Angeles Lakers guard issued a written apology that stopped short of taking responsibility for his actions.

“Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did,” he said.

Meaning, he talked to her, she thought she was raped, he didn't agree, whatever. This being Ben's second offense, even if he eventually makes a statement like the one Kobe did, the Steeler franchise is tarnished. Remember how Kobe had to take time off here and there to rush to court? Can you imagine the same thing happenning with the Steelers? We're preparing for the Ravens, but Ben has to fly down to Georgia for the week to sit in court. Besides, Kobe's contract was guaranteed. As long as he wasn't convicted, I doubt the Lakers could have done anything. The portion of Ben's contract that was guaranteed has already been paid out. It would be easier for the team to ties. I dunno, maybe you're right, but I don't see any good outcome if he's charged. If he's not charged, we're in the clear. Maybe he gets a slap on the wrist from Goodell.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote