Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 03-10-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Pittsburgh Steelers free-agency digest: Limas Sweed asks for trade, Larry Foote expec

Pittsburgh Steelers free-agency digest: Limas Sweed asks for trade, Larry Foote expects big payday
March 10, 6:02 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...cts-big-payday

With seven receivers on the Steelers roster, Limas Sweed has asked the team to let him go.
AP FILE PHOTO

PITTSBURGH - You knew this one was coming. A day after the Steelers signed both Arnaz Battle and Antwan Randel El, the days of Limas Sweed were nearing an end.

Although there is no official word out of the UPMC training complex, a league source confirmed rumors that Sweed has indeed asked Steeler officials to be released or traded by the team.

The same source told Examiner.com that the Larry Foote saga continues, as the team would still like to have him back. The twist? Not only is he visiting Arizona today, but according toJason La Canfora's latest blog, Foote now wants a contract similar to the one that former New Orleans Saint Scott Fujita just signed with the Browns.

ESPN 970's The Sports Report out of Ashtabula, Ohio reported that deal to be a three year deal worth $14 million, something the Steelers would not offer to a player who would be a depth player.

As for the Steelers current free-agents, Nick Eason visited Pittsburgh West on Tuesday, but was no tendered a deal.

Willie Parker visited the Redskins and left without a contract. He was scheduled to visit the Chiefs on Thursday, but late Tuesday Kansas City announced they had signed former Jet Thomas Jones to a two year $5 million dollar deal.

Ironically, Pittsburgh West continues to woo former members of the black and gold to the desert and if former Steeler assistant Ken Whisenhut can pull it off, the Cardinals could have an entire former Steeler linebacking corp.

Both Joey Porter and Foote are expected to make a visit sometime today and if they both sign, they would rejoin former Steeler Clark Haggans.

Steeler News:

* Back in Black - El, who signed a three year deal worth seven million along with a $900,000 signing bonus, told media he signed with the Steelers because he was comfortable coming home. "I totally enjoyed playing before here and I know I will enjoy it now." El said. He also said he had spoken with both Casey Hampton and Hines Ward about a possible return and that they were happy.

* Great Scott - Tackle Jonathan Scott's contract also wont break the bank, as he signed a one year deal worth $540,000.

*Roethlisberger update- The girl who has accused Steeler's Ben Roethlisberger has withdrawn from college, and pretty much gone into a recluse state. An interesing sidenote, sources close to the situation have said that if Roehlisberger were to be charged in the matter, he could face anywhere from 18 months to four years in prison. As of now, the only charges are the fact he is guilty of poor judgement.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:03 AM   #2
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280
Default Re: Pittsburgh Steelers free-agency digest: Limas Sweed asks for trade, Larry Foote e

These are moves of team that believes it is a SB contender. These are moves of desperation. Certain people know if they have another season like last year they will be out of a job.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #3
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,093 Times in 764 Posts
Default Re: Pittsburgh Steelers free-agency digest: Limas Sweed asks for trade, Larry Foote e

How bad does The Whiz hate the Steelers?

As if dealing Boldin to the rats wasn't enough.

Both Joey Porter and Foote are expected to make a visit sometime today and if they both sign, they would rejoin former Steeler Clark Haggans.

Talk about reliving the past - maybe Cowher should go there too and demote him to assistant coach.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
These are moves of team that believes it is a SB contender. These are moves of desperation. Certain people know if they have another season like last year they will be out of a job.
signing randle el is not a move of desperation? we now have the best wide reciever corps in the league. If one receiver goes down we now have another one there that is there for us.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
BigBen'sSwagger
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15463

I like Joey and Clark and Larry and if they all end up in the desert then so be it. Funny but I think Phoenix is a retirement community after all so they can look for some nice places to all settle down in.

As for the signings they are very interesting to say the least and I like it a lot that ARE is baaack.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
Steeldude
Living Legend

arizona won't even make the playoffs next year without warner. adding 3 average to below average LBs doesn't help their team.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I wonder if El can still throw a pass? Or return punts?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Maybe Whiz aka Pittsburgh west, would give us a 4th for Limas?
Old 03-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
I wonder if El can still throw a pass? Or return punts?
I watched him a few games with the Skins last year, he's awful returning punts anymore. Mr. faircatch.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
steelballs
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13011

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
I watched him a few games with the Skins last year, he's awful returning punts anymore. Mr. faircatch.
Mr. East / West returner. Run 50 yards east and west but only pick up 5 yards net.

I don't see ARE taking Stefan Logan's responsibilities over by any means, but if he does share in the return responsibilities, he better learn to run north and south.

I see ARE competing with several players for the 3rd receiver slot, but I don't see him surpassing Mike Wallace if he stays healthy. ARE is the gadget man and I expect to see the same application with him returning.
steelballs is offline   Reply With Quote