Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886
Default If we take OL in RD 1, he better be a freaking stud

who can start day 1 and make an impact.......none of this learn the system stuff for 1-3 years

Theres too many good Defensive players particularly in the secondary to not grab one to ease the transition into the new decade

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #2
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149
Default Re: If we take OL in RD 1, he better be a freaking stud

I'm pissed we're in this position when there was such an O Line deep draft last year....and we, trade our second round pick, take 2 corners who can't get on the field, a TE we don't need, and some dude named Urbick who got beat out by a free agent....
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
wdsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15938

Mike Iupati-Idaho and Maurkice Pouncey can start right away and will be an upgrade both at RG..Iupati could push Starks or whoever starts at RT.
Bryan Bulaga or Trent Williams could also start right away...hope we dont draft Anthony Davis. he does not like the weight room and has multiple suspensions.
wdsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdsteel View Post
Mike Iupati-Idaho and Maurkice Pouncey can start right away and will be an upgrade both at RG..Iupati could push Starks or whoever starts at RT.
Bryan Bulaga or Trent Williams could also start right away...hope we dont draft Anthony Davis. he does not like the weight room and has multiple suspensions.
Please let Iupati go I am scared to death of picking him. As for Pouncey, like I've said all along if nobody worth the 18 pick is there move down and grab Pouncey.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltreal View Post
Blame Cleveland for trading down multiple times and stealing Alex Mack
those POSs......I don't know how many Times I yelled profanities at Buffalo, Balt and most of all Clev last year

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
7willBheaven
Starter

Member Number: 13312

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
I'm pissed we're in this position when there was such an O Line deep draft last year....and we, trade our second round pick, take 2 corners who can't get on the field, a TE we don't need, and some dude named Urbick who got beat out by a free agent....

You know rookies dont play the first year unless its an absolute must. Thats why they rarely dressed Burnett and Lewis (aka "2 corners who cant get on the field"), same goes for Urbik...and he didnt get beat by a FA...he got beat by another Steeler...yes Essex was a FA that we re-signed but still he's always been a Steeler, not like its some new guy who didnt know the system came in. And the "TE we dont need" was a 7th round pick...for crying out loud, big deal, not much to choose from there....but you know what that 7th round pick not only made the team, but helped out at FB when we needed it, so i do not see it as a wasted pick. Just because you didnt like how things went does not mean these guys are wastes or garbage or anything of the sort...as we do not know what they will be yet...its too early to tell (based on how the Steelers play and progress their players). Yes it would have been nice to get a stud OL, but the cards didnt fall our way (plus picking last doesnt help).
7willBheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7willBheaven View Post
You know rookies dont play the first year unless its an absolute must. Thats why they rarely dressed Burnett and Lewis (aka "2 corners who cant get on the field"), same goes for Urbik...and he didnt get beat by a FA...he got beat by another Steeler...yes Essex was a FA that we re-signed but still he's always been a Steeler, not like its some new guy who didnt know the system came in. And the "TE we dont need" was a 7th round pick...for crying out loud, big deal, not much to choose from there....but you know what that 7th round pick not only made the team, but helped out at FB when we needed it, so i do not see it as a wasted pick. Just because you didnt like how things went does not mean these guys are wastes or garbage or anything of the sort...as we do not know what they will be yet...its too early to tell (based on how the Steelers play and progress their players). Yes it would have been nice to get a stud OL, but the cards didnt fall our way (plus picking last doesnt help).
You don't think the way that secondary stunk up the joint that those 2 corners playing was absolute must? and by that logic wallace wouldn't have been dressing much either....but he did because he made the most of his opportunity...Burnett and Lewis had chances to play and step up but didn't, don't blame the system, it reminds me of when Jason Simmons and Deshea Townsend were drafted together....Townsend made plays Simmons didn't, so Townsend was on the field and Simmons was on the sidelines and eventually let go......and Urbick got beat out by Foster not Essex , I Knew Essex was gonna start...but who backed up both guard spots? Foster that's who...there were lineman available in the second round(Antoine Caldwell to name 1) that the Steelers could have taken but they trade out of that round and select Urbick...i love my Steelers but i'm not gonna co-sign every move they make either....
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #8
7willBheaven
Starter

Member Number: 13312

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
You don't think the way that secondary stunk up the joint that those 2 corners playing was absolute must? and by that logic wallace wouldn't have been dressing much either....but he did because he made the most of his opportunity...Burnett and Lewis had chances to play and step up but didn't, don't blame the system, it reminds me of when Jason Simmons and Deshea Townsend were drafted together....Townsend made plays Simmons didn't, so Townsend was on the field and Simmons was on the sidelines and eventually let go......and Urbick got beat out by Foster not Essex , I Knew Essex was gonna start...but who backed up both guard spots? Foster that's who...there were lineman available in the second round(Antoine Caldwell to name 1) that the Steelers could have taken but they trade out of that round and select Urbick...i love my Steelers but i'm not gonna co-sign every move they make either....
In reality I'd rather have someone who knows the plays/etc be in the game than someone the coach may deem does not...as far as the CBs, but they did get to play some towards the end of the year, which is a good sign. Wallace was just in the right position with the right skills...during the regular season Sweed disappeared and opened the 3rd spot for Wallace, simple as that...there was nobody else there to play that spot...yeah Mcdonald was there/etc...but he was just brought in as a vet backup not to be a 3rd/4th WR. As far as the linemen, the Steelers usually only dress TWO backups for the entire line (of the 4 they keep)...one is always a C (who usually can play either guard position) and a tackle (that not always, but sometimes can play either guard position)...Legursky was the C/G guy and Foster could play both sides of the like at T/G, so he got the nod. Foster played RT 3 of his 4 years at Tenn. (1 yr at LG and RT mixed)...so he has more T experience. Where Urbik was mainly a RG (that did play a little RT). Foster was the better swing man and could play any of the 4 positions is the main reason why he dressed...many people do not see Urbik playing LG or LT in the NFL, which means he was behind Foster as a BU...and only dressed when a starter was inactive.
7willBheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:01 AM   #9
SteelerNation12
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15759

Iupati isn't a dominate guard and you don't pick guards in round 1, let alone at #18 unless they are DOMINATE. When is the last time a guard was even pick in the Top 20?
SteelerNation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #10
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Bus_24 View Post
who can start day 1 and make an impact.......none of this learn the system stuff for 1-3 years

Theres too many good Defensive players particularly in the secondary to not grab one to ease the transition into the new decade

Using this logic, the same should be said about any player we take in the 1st round.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote