Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-10-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
NEPAsteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 11528
Default PC Help

I just bought a brand new desktop PC and I'm trying to install a wireless USB network adapter (I have one that goes into the PCI slot, but it doesn't fit). The PC is telling me that it cannot locate any drivers for the USB network adapter. I'm so confused. lol.

Any help anyone can provide on this is very much appreciated!!
NEPAsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: PC Help

Seems to me the wireless adapter should have come with a CD with the driver on it. If so, you'll need to run that CD to install the driver. If not, you will need to try to find the driver from the manufacturer of the wireless adapter's website.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
NEPAsteeler
Assistant Coach

I installed the CD and it continued to tell me that it couldn't find the drivers. If I can find an ethernet cable that's long enough, I guess I'm just going to have to go with that. I hate not being tech savvy.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

This should resolve most any problem you have with your PC.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
NEPAsteeler
Assistant Coach

The problem is that I cannot get onto the internet with the new desktop. I'm using my laptop at the moment. I found the available drivers on the website, but they're kind of useless to me without being able to connect my desktop to the internet.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,583 Posts

a pci adapter that doesn't fit into the pci slot ? thats odd....sometimes they fit pretty tight.
anyway are you installing the drivers from the cd BEFORE you put the card in ? and DON'T take the cd out when you turn the pc off to install the card... it should install the drivers when you reboot after you install the card.

if it still don't find the drivers after you reboot try
1. right click my computer
2. click hardware
3 device manager
4. network adapters.... click on your card
5 update drivers
6. update from specific location
7 pick your cdrom drive.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,583 Posts

oh and make sure the card/drivers are compatible with the operating system your running...i know the drivers on the cd i have for my pci card don't work with windows 7
if they don't go to the card manufactures website, download the correct drivers to your laptop, burn them to a cd...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #8
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
This should resolve most any problem you have with your PC.

Always great to come across a fellow Linux geek. I understand why some people just aren't comfortable with it though. If it weren't for my fiance, I'd be completely lost with it lol.

Nepa, if you're still having problems after trying what MOP suggested, I'll ask my better half for some advice that may help. I'm pretty clueless myself, but he may know some tricks.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
Always great to come across a fellow Linux geek. I understand why some people just aren't comfortable with it though. If it weren't for my fiance, I'd be completely lost with it lol.
Linux would be a great OS for general home use if they would make it more user-friendly. Because let's face it, the reason Windows and Mac OSX exist is because the average user wants to turn the computer on and have it work right out of the box. If you try to tell them that they have to find drivers for their hardware, find programs to do daily tasks like email or word processing instead of simply going to the store to buy it, or simply playing a movie file/DVD...or, Heaven forbid, learn how to use a command-line shell interface...well, I think you know where I'm going. Ubuntu is probably the Linux flavor that comes closest to being something the general, non-geek public can get around in.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Linux would be a great OS for general home use if they would make it more user-friendly. Because let's face it, the reason Windows and Mac OSX exist is because the average user wants to turn the computer on and have it work right out of the box. If you try to tell them that they have to find drivers for their hardware, find programs to do daily tasks like email or word processing instead of simply going to the store to buy it, or simply playing a movie file/DVD...or, Heaven forbid, learn how to use a command-line shell interface...well, I think you know where I'm going. Ubuntu is probably the Linux flavor that comes closest to being something the general, non-geek public can get around in.
Oh definitely. We use Ubuntu on this laptop and I've managed to figure it out most stuff pretty well. My fiance set everything up from scratch on the PC though, and I would be like a deer in the headlights trying to figure that stuff out. I've always used Windows in the past, and yes it was easier to not have to worry about getting all the programs on the PC and such, but I really like how we got our laptop for factory price and really never have to worry about a virus or bug in the updates.