Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
Busforever
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1065
Default What about a 3-4 DE?

I don't see him listed very often, but I like the oportunity to pick Jared Odrick. A 6-4, 300 pounds DT from Penn State, he could very well play DE in our 3-4 schemes. I think he proved to be a versatile player on the line. With him and Ziggy Hood, we could have our DE for many years, and we know the importance of those guys everytime Aaron Smith is out. It's pretty hard to find some potential elite 3-4 DE, and hopefully we won't have a top 10 pick for years to fill them. With this year draft class, we can have a quality 3-4 DE with the 18th pick. A real oportunity, i think.

There's also guy like Carlos Dunlap, maybe Everson Griffen... I don't know those players as well.

And if not, players like Rolando McClain (will he fall? I think not, but who knows), Witherspoon, or a first round OL to upgrade our running game (Iupati, Trent Williams) would be good choices, in other direction.

In fact I'm happy we re-signed Ryan Clark, added Will Allen so safeties are not a priority in the draft. DE, ILB and OL are more urgent to me, at least on the first rounds.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,583 Posts
Default Re: What about a 3-4 DE?

i doubt they'll go for another DE this soon. obviously they felt sonny harrison has potential by the way they snatched him back off carolina's practice squad... plus they cut eason and i'm assuming it was so they could make room for him on the 53 roster. in order to pick another DE ,then they'd have to cut either kirskie or harrison.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Lurking

I think that CB and OL is more pressing for the first round. IMO
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
I think that CB and OL is more pressing for the first round. IMO
BKAnthem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
7willBheaven
Starter

Member Number: 13312

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i doubt they'll go for another DE this soon. obviously they felt sonny harrison has potential by the way they snatched him back off carolina's practice squad... plus they cut eason and i'm assuming it was so they could make room for him on the 53 roster. in order to pick another DE ,then they'd have to cut either kirskie or harrison.

Kirschke is a FA (along with Eason)...and neither re-signed (as of yet). Right now its, Smith and Keisel with Hood and Harris (not Harrison fyi). I wouldnt mind seeing Eason back or a late round draft pick (who probably wouldnt see much action and be inactive most of the year, but still).
7willBheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
wdsteel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15938

we can get a good DL in late rounds..
1) Lamarr Houston Texas in 3rd...6' 2" 270 Extremely disruptive and explosive. Pushes the pocket, sheds blocks well and is excellent against the run.
2) Mike Neal Purdue in the 4th..6' 4" 304 Good size and quickness. Has a variety of effective pass rushing moves from the inside. Pushes the pocket well. Good athlete with high motor.
3) Linval Joseph Texas in 5th 6' 6" 322...Huge frame, typical DT in a 3-4 system, clogs the middle, good wrap up tackler, strong push off the snap, great upper body power, gets his hands up to knock down passes, good footwork for his size.
4) Torrell Troup in the 5th 6' 3" 314..All-Conference USA second team. Dominated during East-West Shrine practices. Instinctive, disruptive and pushes the pocket well. Very good against the run and takes up space.
5) Clifton Geathers South Carolina in 5th 6' 8" 290..Big body, long arms, speed rusher, wrap up tackler. Inexperienced..this one has time to learn..
top 4 are DT's but fit our 3-4 DE...

Aaron Smith was drafted in 4th
Brett Keisel was drafted 7th
wdsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
7willBheaven
Starter

Member Number: 13312

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdsteel View Post
1) Lamarr Houston Texas in 3rd...6' 2" 270 Extremely disruptive and explosive. Pushes the pocket, sheds blocks well and is excellent against the run.
2) Mike Neal Purdue in the 4th..6' 4" 304 Good size and quickness. Has a variety of effective pass rushing moves from the inside. Pushes the pocket well. Good athlete with high motor.
3) Linval Joseph Texas in 5th 6' 6" 322...Huge frame, typical DT in a 3-4 system, clogs the middle, good wrap up tackler, strong push off the snap, great upper body power, gets his hands up to knock down passes, good footwork for his size.
4) Torrell Troup in the 5th 6' 3" 314..All-Conference USA second team. Dominated during East-West Shrine practices. Instinctive, disruptive and pushes the pocket well. Very good against the run and takes up space.
5) Clifton Geathers South Carolina in 5th 6' 8" 290..Big body, long arms, speed rusher, wrap up tackler. Inexperienced..this one has time to learn..

Most see Troup as a 3rd/4th round NT, not a DE, if we got him I wouldnt have a problem with a young guy behind Casey.
7willBheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #8
SteelerNation12
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15759

Dunlap would be an awful fit for us
SteelerNation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #9
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdsteel View Post

Another one you add to your list is Alex Carrington, 6'5" 285.

He may have moved himself up to far though.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Jason Worilds is a beast.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote