Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
UltimateBengal
Banned

Member Number: 15469
Default Who will battle for the North in 2010?

OK, I know it's still early. Free Agency is only a few days old and the draft is yet to happen. But, is it ever too early for prognosticating? Based on what each of the AFC North teams have done so far, and what you think they will address in the draft, which team has the early edge on the North title and who will the main competition be between?

Here's how I see it....

I think it will come down to the Steelers and Bengals. The Steelers will not struggle for a second straight season(as long as Ben stays on the field). They should be able to bolster the secondary and the O-line in the draft. And think bringing Randle El back will pay dividends. The Bengals have a deep threat now to go with Ocho and the tandem of Benson and Scott should be productive again. I think the defense under Zimmer will remain solid as well.

The Ravens could go either way IMO. The defense has been regressing for a couple of years. The secondary needs a lot of work. Reed and Lewis looked old last year. I think Boldin only makes a difference if Rice has a big year, and Flacco doesn't have to throw 35 times a game. Then he becomes a dangerous weapon.

The Browns are still building, but they did play hard for Mangini down the stretch. But they will struggle to win 6 games.
UltimateBengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
Ravnet
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13288
Default Re: Who will battle for the North in 2010?

Quote:
The Steelers will not struggle for a second straight season(as long as Ben stays on the field).
Big if?

Quote:
The Ravens could go either way IMO. The defense has been regressing for a couple of years.
If 3rd overall in 2009, and 2nd overall in 2008 is a regression, then I'm not too worried.
Quote:
The secondary needs a lot of work. Reed and Lewis looked old last year.
The secondary, believe it or not, shouldn't be that bad if, and that's another big if, the standout rookie Lardarius Webb returns healthy, as Foxworth really turned things on after the bye last year.

As for Reed and Lewis, Ray was first overall in the entire AFC in tackles, and Reed is still golden as long as he stays on the field.

The major concerns for the Ravens right now are the pass rush, and actual linebackers to surround Ray, although the latter shouldn't be too hard to find.

I will say that in 2/3 years we'll face major challenges with Reed/Lewis retiring, though, so unless we retool right now, the defense will definitely fall off in a few years.
Ravnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

It's to early for me to guess anything, I can't wait for the next season.

I think it'll be another close one between steelers, bengals, and ravens---i'd be suprised if the Browns won 3 games in the division, and that's what it'll probably come down to, who can go 5-1 or 6-0 in the division. I think the Bengals will need a better down the stretch preformance by Palmer if they want to be a serious force, and the Ravens are going to show that they can pass consistently, along with the defense holding up. Same for steelers, except they're going to need a more dependable situational running attack and teh defense needs to secure leads.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
Larry
Banned

Member Number: 15605

Pretty crappy analysis. The Ravens are serious contenders, a lot of pressure has been taken off of an already dangerous running game.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
SteelerNation12
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Pretty crappy analysis. The Ravens are serious contenders, a lot of pressure has been taken off of an already dangerous running game.
Thats IF Bolden can stay healthy and has played like 2 full seasons in his entire career. History isn't on his side at all.
SteelerNation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Quote:
The Ravens won't be serious contenders unless they step up their passing attack. Lately they've been

So far no pressure has been taken off of anything because we aren't even 1 snap into 2010.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:36 AM   #7
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Steelers and ravens again will battle for the crown.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

The Steelers, Ravens, Bengals, and Browns will all be competing in the AFC North next season, I believe.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #9
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Quote:
And a pretty shit reply from a dumbass. UltimateBengals opinion no need to do a crappy analysis Boldin IMO is overrated, Leon Hall will shut him down and im guessing Ike Taylor will shut down Boldin as he does to Chad Johnson each game.

The Ravens fans always think the Ravens are contenders each year lol.

Your our bitches.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #10
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

It will come down to the Steelers and the Ravens....Ravens have improved their offense adding Boldin and Stallworth with Mason Flacco and Rice.

Steelers have added their own weapons on offense on top of the weapons they already had, and im willing to bet their D will play better then it did last year with troy and aaron back plus whoever we add via draft.

I would say Steelers, Ravens , Bengals and Browns in that order
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote