Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-10-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927
Default NY State has a bill to ban salt in restaurants

First it was smoking. Then trans fats. Now salt. Next it'll be booze and speech. At what threshold of insanity will sane people say to these lunatics "ENOUGH"?

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/loca...d-20100310-akd

Chefs Call Proposed New York Salt Ban 'Absurd'

10 Mar 2010, 9:47 PM EST

By ARUN KRISTIAN DAS / MyFox New York

MYFOXNY.COM - Some New York City chefs and restaurant owners are taking aim at a bill introduced in the New York Legislature that, if passed, would ban the use of salt in restaurant cooking.

"No owner or operator of a restaurant in this state shall use salt in any form in the preparation of any food for consumption by customers of such restaurant, including food prepared to be consumed on the premises of such restaurant or off of such premises," the bill, A. 10129 , states in part.

The legislation, which Assemblyman Felix Ortiz , D-Brooklyn, introduced on March 5, would fine restaurants $1,000 for each violation.

"The consumer needs to make their own health choices. Just as doctors and the occasional visit to a hospital can't truly control how a person chooses to maintain their health, neither can chefs nor the occasional visit to a restaurant," said Jeff Nathan, the executive chef and co-owner of Abigael's on Broadway. "Modifying trans fats and sodium intake needs to be home based for optimal health. Regulating restaurants will not solve this health issue."

Nathan is part of the group My Food My Choice , which calls itself a coalition of chefs, restaurant owners, and consumers, called the proposed law "absurd" in a press release issued on its Facebook page.

Ortiz has said the salt ban would allow restaurant patrons to decide how salty they want their meals to be.

"In this way, consumers have more control over the amount of sodium they intake, and are given the option to exercise healthier diets and healthier lifestyles," Ortiz said, according to a Nation's Restaurant News report.

But many chefs and restaurant owners said they are tired of politicians dictating what they can serve and what people can eat. They have opposed the city's anti-sodium and anti-transfat campaigns.

"Chefs would be handcuffed in their food preparation, and many are already in open rebellion over this legislation," said Orit Sklar, of My Food My Choice. "Ortiz and fellow anti-salt zealot Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York City seek to undermine the food and restaurant business in the entire state."

The American Heart Association encourages Americans to reduce their sodium intake and has advocated the reduction of sodium used by food manufacturers and restaurants by 50 percent over a 10-year period.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,738 Times in 1,783 Posts
Default Re: NY State has a bill to ban salt in restaurants

I always like my food on the bland tasteless side.

This horse shit has to stop.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
SteelerNation12
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15759

Wow, really? Salt can actually help you from dehydrating. Yes it has its negatives as well.
But almost anything is bad for you if you don't take it in moderation.
SteelerNation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,946 Times in 3,009 Posts

what a moron.

Quote:
"In this way, consumers have more control over the amount of sodium they intake, and are given the option to exercise healthier diets and healthier lifestyles," Ortiz said, according to a Nation's Restaurant News report.
stay at home and cook your own food, you lazy piece of shit.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:00 AM   #5
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

Guess they solved the economy and war on terror and now they can move on to more impotent things like making sure we eat healthy, sense we aren't responsible to do it for ourselves...
Old 03-11-2010, 03:56 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,173 Times in 1,349 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

If somebody don't want to eat at a restaurant cause it has to much salt in the food that is there choice. Why punish everyone else who likes a little salt in there food. This is just idiotic.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:17 AM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,527 Times in 1,532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
If somebody don't want to eat at a restaurant cause it has to much salt in the food that is there choice. Why punish everyone else who likes a little salt in there food. This is just idiotic.

Quote:
Ortiz has said the salt ban would allow restaurant patrons to decide how salty they want their meals to be.
they didn't say salt would be banned from the restarunt...just banned from the cook pre adding it to the food. i'f you want your shit salty...pick up the salt shaker on the table and have at it. i won't even get an order of fries from the mcdonalds near my house. the idiots who work there put so much salt on them you can't even tell they are potatoes , you might as well get an order of anchovies.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:17 AM   #8
Venom
Team Captain

Member Number: 13824

I live in NYC and I havent heard anything about that . I guess I have to go out and stock up on salt and sneak it into the restaurants .
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:19 AM   #9
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
they didn't say salt would be banned from the restarunt...just banned from the cook pre adding it to the food. i'f you want your shit salty...pick up the salt shaker on the table and have at it. i won't even get an order of fries from the mcdonalds near my house. the idiots who work there put so much salt on them you can't even tell they are potatoes , you might as well get an order of anchovies.
It's a slippery slope.

Just wait til they legislate two sheets of toilet paper to wipe your ass and install monitors to make sure you don't break the law...

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:34 AM   #10
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

There are a few restuarants I visit that certain foods I won't order because they are too salty. It's called being a consumer, knowing what you like, and not being afraid to send it back if it isn't right or good tasting!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote