Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 03-11-2010, 05:46 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers ILB Farrior is hoping Foote returns

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_671060.html

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Steelers ILB Farrior is hoping Foote returns

By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, March 11, 2010

James Farrior and Larry Foote played side-by-side in the Steelers starting lineup for five seasons. The inside linebacker tandem warmed up together before every game and became extremely close.

Their relationship continues to this day. When Foote became an unrestricted free agent after one season with Detroit, Farrior and Foote discussed the possibility of Foote returning to the Steelers to create more depth at linebacker.

"That's my boy. I'd love to have him back,'' Farrior said.

A reunion isn't out of the question. But the Steelers will have to wait in line behind at least two other teams Arizona and Washington.

Foote visited the Redskins on Tuesday and is scheduled to meet Thursday with the Cardinals, along with another former Steelers linebacker turned unrestricted free agent, Joey Porter.

"I've been calling him. I talked to him (Tuesday) morning when he was in Washington,'' said Farrior, who is visiting family in Virginia. "He definitely wanted to make the trip to Arizona. He wants to take all of his trips.''

Despite his friendships on the team, Foote's desire to return to the Steelers probably isn't as strong as that of free safety Ryan Clark, who accepted a below-market contract to remain in Pittsburgh.

Clark's agent, Joel Turner, said Clark's experience should have resulted in him signing a deal in the $20-$25 million range. Instead, Clark re-signed for approximately $14 million.

Foote asked for his release before the 2009 season because the Steelers didn't offer him a contract extension entering the final year of his contract. Foote also believed the Steelers would have asked him to take a pay cut if he remained for his final season.

According to NFL.com, Foote is hoping to exceed inside linebacker Scott Fujita's three-year deal with Cleveland worth $14 million, including $8 million guaranteed.

Foote might get his wish because Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt, who was Bill Cowher's offensive coordinator with the Steelers when Foote was there, is seeking a replacement for inside linebacker Karlos Dansby, who signed a free-agent contract with Miami.

If Foote does consider the Steelers, Farrior has no doubt he would be a perfect fit.

"A player like that could help the team win a championship,'' Farrior said.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:12 AM   #2
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Re: Steelers ILB Farrior is hoping Foote returns

Quote:
"A player like that could help the team win a championship,'' Farrior said.
Panic - he's too old!

Foote is an "oldy but goody" imo.

Good linebacker, good guy and I'd still love to see him in Black & Gold if the price is right.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
Panic - he's too old!

Foote is an "oldy but goody" imo.

Good linebacker, good guy and I'd still love to see him in Black & Gold if the price is right.
Yah converting an outside linebacker to inside is a waste and stupid. It's obvious that Timmons can't play on the inside and should move to the outside. And remain there as a backup until Harrison can't start no more

edit the above was about timmons, if foote came back imo he would start again at ilb

Last edited by supa_fly_steeler; 03-11-2010 at 09:44 AM.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
xbroughneck
Team Captain

Member Number: 5743

Sorry guys.

I like Larry, I do. I just think getting younger is the way to go at ILB. We've got Farrior already. Timmons may or may not work on the inside, but to overpay for Foote doesn't make sense to me. He's a short term solution that wants good money THAT WONT START.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

I like Foote and he played well for the defense and the Steelers, but Timmons only had one full season as a starter so how can you fully judge him and say he is done or needs moved to the outside already?
Sure Foote can bring depth and experience, but it is a waste of time and money IMO.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
KYsteelfan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13639

I love the idea of having Larry around for some depth, but hes asking for too much to be a backup

"I AM HIP HOP!" - Shouted on campus by John Wall
KYsteelfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #7
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYsteelfan View Post
I love the idea of having Larry around for some depth, but hes asking for too much to be a backup
I bet the Steelers wern't really on his mind until the steelers expressed interest.

Randle El came back at a reduced price, ryan clark came back for 6 less million than the dolphins were offering.

i can guess after the success foote had with the steelers and a misarble year in detroit he may not want another one of those years at washington
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
KYsteelfan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13639

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post
I bet the Steelers wern't really on his mind until the steelers expressed interest.

Randle El came back at a reduced price, ryan clark came back for 6 less million than the dolphins were offering.

i can guess after the success foote had with the steelers and a misarble year in detroit he may not want another one of those years at washington
yeah the black and gold is very compelling. hopefully we can get him in here at a reduced rate and he can add some depth and true veteran experience into the mix. if we can stay healthy i think the defense should be pretty fierce this upcoming season

"I AM HIP HOP!" - Shouted on campus by John Wall
KYsteelfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
xbroughneck
Team Captain

Member Number: 5743

I'd rather have one of the top two inside linebacker options in the draft. Both will probably be quicker than both Farrior AND Foote.

I don't want a Charlie Batch on our linebacking corp. Get youth speed and motivation. Give Timmons another year to excel. (he really needs to work at shedding blocks).
Old 03-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #10
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

I wouldn't mind having him back, but it looks like the odds are stacked pretty heavily against it. I certainly don't think he's worth a big-money contract when we've already got four starting LBs lined up.

Unless that message from the front office about "we're going to act as if there was a salary cap" was just a head-fake and we're going to totally blow it off. Then hell yes, sign Foote, and Westbrook, and any other free agent who's not a total idiot.