Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-13-2010, 06:35 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,302 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Steeler free-agency digest: If Larry Foote balks, Andra Davis could be on radar

PITTSBURGH - It seems it is down to two, the Steelers and the Cardinals now for a familiar face, Larry Foote.

A day after Foote has told reporters in Arizona he was where he wanted to be, sources have said that he will visit with the Steelers as early as Sunday night.

Foote, who was a joy to quote in the lockers, told the Detroit Free Press he wanted a salary in the range of Scott Fujita, who just signed with the Browns.

One of the issues in keeping Foote in 2009, was that he was to receive a base salary of $2.885 million, which the Steelers front office at the time felt was too much for a reduced role player. He also did not want to be a back-up to Lawrence Timmons.

An NFL source has said that if Foote balks at the Steelers offer, then the team might take a hard look at bringing in free-agent linebacker Andra Davis who was just released by the Broncos.

The source did however say that a number of his former teammates have reached out to him about making a return to the Steel City.

As for Davis, he is no stranger to the AFC North as he played seven season for the Browns. Last year for the Broncos, he started 13 of 16 games at the strong inside linebacker position. He was due to make $1.56 million in 2010. He had 90 tackles last season.

Willie Parker is still a free-agent as the Redskins chose to bypass him and instead took former Penn State standout Larry Johnson.

Johnson signed a $3.5 million contract which is loaded with incentives. He could possibly make as much as $12 million per season if he reaches those goals.

Tampa is reported to still have some interest as are the Raiders, but it also sets up the possibility for his return to the black and gold in a lesser role. With Michael Westbrook and LT still on the market, again, don't expect a move on him..

There has been no movement in regards to veteran cornerback DeShea Townsend, but the same source that told Examiner.com the Steelers had an interest in Hank Fraley has said there is interest in bringing him back, but at a much lower salary.

Nick Eason is still on the Cardinals radar screen, but also plans on talking with a couple of other teams. Landing back in Pittsburgh is also a possibility for Eason, again at a much lower pay rate.

An interesting thing about Arizona is the respect former Steeler offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhut had from his former players in Pittsburgh.

Joey Porter, who may sign with the team as early as this weekend, is the latest to pay homage to Whisenhut.

I know what Whiz is all about, Porter said to Arizona.com. I dont have to be blindsided by some new coaches trying to wonder how I fit. I know how hed use me if I was here. I just want to be a piece of the puzzle.

I saw so many familiar faces, guys that coached me in Pittsburgh. They have bigger titles so I was happy to see those guys get upgraded I know a lot of guys on the team, Bryant McFadden, Sean Morey, Clark Haggans. If it happens, itll be good fit. I feel I can fill a need, that whole presence of getting to the quarterback.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...ld-be-on-radar
Old 03-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: Steeler free-agency digest: If Larry Foote balks, Andra Davis could be on radar

I wouldn't mind Davis as a backup

Don't quite understand why the donkeys let him go though. McClain must be on their radar
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Default Re: Steeler free-agency digest: If Larry Foote balks, Andra Davis could be on radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
I wouldn't mind Davis as a backup

Don't quite understand why the donkeys let him go though. McClain must be on their radar
I would say McClain is on alot of teams radar.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

davis would have to go thru some hazmat super shower to wash off the staph because it probably went dormant in the high altitude.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
Florida_Steelers_Fan
Starter

Member Number: 4759

i guess the one thing that makes me happy is that the steelers are at least showing a pulse during the free agent period this year. we all know they won't grab any big name players, but they are looking at "complementary" players who fill a certain role. hopefully that will allow them to just take the best players in the draft without "reaching" to fill a need...
Old 03-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
skinart82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3485

why doesn't arizona just have there name changed to Pittsburgh West. Starting to get sad Whiz, starting to get sad. Cause those guys aren't gonna get a ring together again.
skinart82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinart82 View Post
why doesn't arizona just have there name changed to Pittsburgh West. Starting to get sad Whiz, starting to get sad. Cause those guys aren't gonna get a ring together again.
They just wish they could be like Pittsburgh. They might try to imitate but will never get close to what we are.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Now that is another good option. Maybe even better than Foote. I always thought Andra Davis was a better run stopper than Foote and at this point, probably a better option than Fox if Farrior were to go down.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
vtw8lftr
Water Boy

Member Number: 15860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
They just wish they could be like Pittsburgh. They might try to imitate but will never get close to what we are.
What other team would you emulate... he came from an organization that ran a very tight ship. Whis knows a lot of the Steelers ways and what makes the franchise successful. It sort of makes me angry that he is using that knowledge to build a new Cardinals (Steelers West) dynasty in the NFC... but that is the price you pay for letting coaches go.
vtw8lftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
rich4eagle
Starter

Member Number: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
PITTSBURGH - It seems it is down to two, the Steelers and the Cardinals now for a familiar face, Larry Foote.

A day after Foote has told reporters in Arizona he was where he wanted to be, sources have said that he will visit with the Steelers as early as Sunday night.

Foote, who was a joy to quote in the lockers, told the Detroit Free Press he wanted a salary in the range of Scott Fujita, who just signed with the Browns.

One of the issues in keeping Foote in 2009, was that he was to receive a base salary of $2.885 million, which the Steelers front office at the time felt was too much for a reduced role player. He also did not want to be a back-up to Lawrence Timmons.

An NFL source has said that if Foote balks at the Steelers offer, then the team might take a hard look at bringing in free-agent linebacker Andra Davis who was just released by the Broncos.

The source did however say that a number of his former teammates have reached out to him about making a return to the Steel City.

As for Davis, he is no stranger to the AFC North as he played seven season for the Browns. Last year for the Broncos, he started 13 of 16 games at the strong inside linebacker position. He was due to make $1.56 million in 2010. He had 90 tackles last season.

Willie Parker is still a free-agent as the Redskins chose to bypass him and instead took former Penn State standout Larry Johnson.

Johnson signed a $3.5 million contract which is loaded with incentives. He could possibly make as much as $12 million per season if he reaches those goals.

Tampa is reported to still have some interest as are the Raiders, but it also sets up the possibility for his return to the black and gold in a lesser role. With Michael Westbrook and LT still on the market, again, don't expect a move on him..

There has been no movement in regards to veteran cornerback DeShea Townsend, but the same source that told Examiner.com the Steelers had an interest in Hank Fraley has said there is interest in bringing him back, but at a much lower salary.

Nick Eason is still on the Cardinals radar screen, but also plans on talking with a couple of other teams. Landing back in Pittsburgh is also a possibility for Eason, again at a much lower pay rate.

An interesting thing about Arizona is the respect former Steeler offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhut had from his former players in Pittsburgh.

Joey Porter, who may sign with the team as early as this weekend, is the latest to pay homage to Whisenhut.

I know what Whiz is all about, Porter said to Arizona.com. I dont have to be blindsided by some new coaches trying to wonder how I fit. I know how hed use me if I was here. I just want to be a piece of the puzzle.

I saw so many familiar faces, guys that coached me in Pittsburgh. They have bigger titles so I was happy to see those guys get upgraded I know a lot of guys on the team, Bryant McFadden, Sean Morey, Clark Haggans. If it happens, itll be good fit. I feel I can fill a need, that whole presence of getting to the quarterback.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...ld-be-on-radar
Davis cannot play that is why he was released....................signing garbage is not the Steeler MO
rich4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote