Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 03-15-2010, 12:01 AM   #1
jonslow
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15823
Default Foote agrees to re-join Steelers

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ejoin-Steelers

The contract hasn't been finalized yet, but he's agreed to come back for what looks like three years.

I for one am pretty excited to see him back.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:17 AM   #2
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Default Re: Foote agrees to re-join Steelers

I would've been 1 of those who get excited about his return ... But he said he wanted 2 B Cardinal more than he wanted 2 B Steeler when he was going 2 Arizona. So not really that much excited.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:38 AM   #3
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

No shit ... well, that's awesome. I mean, we get him back, and we don't have to give anything up, and it doesn't screw up our payroll? OK, I'll take that any day.

Wonder if this means Farrior is the one who's going to start being phased out now...
Old 03-15-2010, 12:39 AM   #4
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Gives us depth. I am ok with how Timmons has played and think he will get better. Still, we needed depth at MLB and this provides it.

This, as well as the other FA signings we have had, leads me to think we might be planning on trying to move up in the first or second rounds. Granted, some of out FA signees could be cut from the final roster, but even if a few are left off ..... we still are not going to have much roster space left for rookies to make this team. Maybe it is a move up and get a stud year for the burgh?
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:02 AM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,531 Times in 1,534 Posts

waste of a roster spot...foote has neither upside or a future. he was an average lber when he left, now he's an older average lber returning. i'd much rather a rookie with the potential to be "one of the greats" got the roster spot...we already know what foote brings to the table...and it ain't greatness...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:05 AM   #6
jonslow
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15823

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
waste of a roster spot...foote has neither upside or a future. he was an average lber when he left, now he's an older average lber returning. i'd much rather a rookie with the potential to be "one of the greats" got the roster spot...we already know what foote brings to the table...and it ain't greatness...
I don't know if I agree with that. He was a valuable piece of both recent championship teams and provides solid veteran leadership and experience.

Last year, Foote was second in the league in yardage allowed on running plays up the middle. If he can do that on a bad Lions team, I think he still has plenty left in the tank.

Depth is something this team needs at linebacker, and signing him doesn't mean we can't still draft another inside linebacker. Granted, Foote isn't the future of the team at ILB, but he's a winning piece. I'm glad he's coming back.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:26 AM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,531 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonslow View Post
I don't know if I agree with that. He was a valuable piece of both recent championship teams and provides solid veteran leadership and experience.

Last year, Foote was second in the league in yardage allowed on running plays up the middle. If he can do that on a bad Lions team, I think he still has plenty left in the tank.

Depth is something this team needs at linebacker, and signing him doesn't mean we can't still draft another inside linebacker. Granted, Foote isn't the future of the team at ILB, but he's a winning piece. I'm glad he's coming back.
how many ilber's do they carry on the 53 ? i look at it like this.... had the steelers re-aquired randle-el last year, would they have used a 3rd rounder on mike wallace ? probably not...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:57 AM   #8
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
how many ilber's do they carry on the 53 ? i look at it like this.... had the steelers re-aquired randle-el last year, would they have used a 3rd rounder on mike wallace ? probably not...
I don't think the real plan is for Foote to be the backup. It's for him to be the starter in Timmons' spot, and Timmons to take over Farrior's spot. I don't know whether that'll happen in 2010, but I'd be VERY surprised if Farrior is more than a role player in 2011 and beyond. This pretty much guarantees we'll be solid in the middle for three or four more years.

I also don't think this rules out us taking a future LB at all. Only thing it changes is that it's more likely it will be an OLB or a guy who can play both. Basically, we've solidified our starters for the short term, and a guy like Frazier or Bailey or Woods gets bumped off the roster for a guy who has real potential. A solid win all around.

I also do love how our motto of "we're going to act as if there's the same salary cap" most likely turned out to be complete BS.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:29 AM   #9
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,182 Times in 1,354 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I think the signing of Foote is more of Farrior getting less playing time this year. I say we still will get a linebacker in the draft and start getting him ready to play in a year or so.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:32 AM   #10
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Having Foote gives us depth at LB. It also allows Timmons to move outside in case of injury to either harrison or Woodley.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote