Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 03-16-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Foote signing ends Steelers' free-agent flurry

Foote signing ends Steelers' free-agent flurry
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_671835.html
By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The signing of linebacker Larry Foote to a three-year, $9.3 million contract Monday could be the last significant free-agent signing for the Steelers — at least for a while.

"We haven't closed the door on anything, but I would just say we're refocusing on the draft," director of football operations Kevin Colbert said yesterday after agreeing to talk only on the condition that questions pertain to free agency.

The shifting of the Steelers' focus comes after they were unusually aggressive during the first part of free agency.

Pittsburgh, which is normally quiet at this time of year, have signed five free agents — including former Steelers Foote and wide receiver Antwaan Randle El.

"What we wanted to do was add competition and depth," Colbert said.

The Steelers appear to have done that by acquiring Foote, Randle El, safety Will Allen, wide receiver Arnaz Battle and offensive tackle Jonathan Scott.

They added depth on defense and at wide receiver and appear to have upgraded their kick coverage units.

The signing of Foote, who started for the Steelers from 2004-08, may have been as surprising as it was significant.

The Steelers released Foote, 30, less than a year ago at his request. The 6-foot-1, 239-pounder signed a one-year deal with Detroit so he could help rebuild his hometown franchise and showcase himself as an every-down linebacker.

Foote returned to the Steelers even though he will have to accept a lesser role, at least initially, than he had in his final five seasons with the team.

"I'm just here to add depth and help us win," said Foote, adding that playing for a winning team again loomed large in his decision to return to Pittsburgh. "I'm quite sure I'm going to play. The amount, I don't know. Right now (Lawrence) Timmons and (James) Farrior are the starters. I'm glad to be back, and the football part will take care of itself."

Foote's return gives the Steelers flexibility at linebacker similar to what they had in 2008, when they essentially had five starters for four positions.

Foote could spell Farrior, who is entering his 14th NFL season, at inside linebacker. Foote also play alongside his close friend if the Steelers use Timmons some at outside linebacker in 2010.

The money the Steelers gave Foote, who got a $1.8 million signing bonus, raises questions about whether he is viewed as an eventual replacement for Farrior, who turned 35 in January.

"Don't start wasting your paper about me replacing Farrior," Foote said. "I'm here to rejuvenate him. Him being here was a big reason why I wanted to come back."

Said Colbert about Foote's role with the Steelers, "He'll provide great competition."

The Steelers are looking to add additional competition, though they will try to find it more through the draft, which is less than six weeks away, than free agency.

If the Steelers do nothing else during free agency, it will still be considerably more than they do in most years.

Last year, they signed just two free agents, and neither cornerback Keiwan Ratliff nor wide receiver Shaun McDonald made an impact for them in 2009.

Colbert said the Steelers didn't go into free agency with the goal of signing a set number of players.

"However, there were players available that we felt could help us, and we were able to make a deal," Colbert said. "Really, that's what it boils down to."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:11 AM   #2
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774
Default Re: Foote signing ends Steelers' free-agent flurry

Good, let's focus on the draft now!
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,566 Posts

its hilarious how signing a bunch of second tier players for backup rolls is considered a "free agent flurry" in pittsburgh....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:37 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,304 Times in 1,405 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Lets go out and get Mcclain now. That will give us some competition in camp.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:59 AM   #5
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
its hilarious how signing a bunch of second tier players for backup rolls is considered a "free agent flurry" in pittsburgh....
Agreed!
Old 03-16-2010, 04:51 AM   #6
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
Good, let's focus on the draft now!
A little depth nevers hurts and now we draft smart, come out and win #7.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
SteelerFanInStl
Team Captain

Member Number: 2162

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
As we saw last year, we needed depth and help on special teams. We've done that and it puts us in a better position for the draft.
SteelerFanInStl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
As we saw last year, we needed depth and help on special teams. We've done that and it puts us in a better position for the draft.
good point SteelerFan. I am not real sure how much Randel El' will really help this team on special teams but between him and #11 maybe they can get the job done adequetly. I would love to see the Steelers get a nice return man in this upcoming draft and maybe #11 becomes expendable. I am not really big on the resigning of Larry Foote but I think he is better in Lawrence Timmons spot that he is. But thats just my opinion.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
xbroughneck
Team Captain

Member Number: 5743

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerdave1969 View Post
good point SteelerFan. I am not real sure how much Randel El' will really help this team on special teams but between him and #11 maybe they can get the job done adequetly. I would love to see the Steelers get a nice return man in this upcoming draft and maybe #11 becomes expendable. I am not really big on the resigning of Larry Foote but I think he is better in Lawrence Timmons spot that he is. But thats just my opinion.
The only thing the Steelers needed to fix about it's special teams was the coverage, and they did that.

We've got plenty of guys on the team that can return a kick. (Holmes, Logan, Randle El)

We (fortunately) got a few more guys that can cover kicks.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

How is Troy's knee doing?

that's all I care about
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote