Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
siss
Team Captain

Member Number: 1611
Default If Ben really is a jerk

Then lets hear the stories.

I'm not talking about the stuff you hear at the bar or the ones your sisters best friends cousin tells. Im talking about the ones you know to be true. The one you witnessed or have pictures. I say this because I have heard A LOT of good stories of Ben. And I have heard A LOT of bad stories from not so reliable sources.

He's ready, Steelers fans. His ordeal over, his return will be complete come Saturday in Arizona, when football again becomes the focus and a career briefly interrupted resumes.
~SI aticle 2006~
siss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921
Default Re: If Ben really is a jerk

The Rooneys are different.

If you've been listening to talk radio, reading columnists and surfing the blogoshpere this week, you know that the Rooney family has been taking some heat. Ben Roethlisberger being accused of sexual assault in Georgia has put them in a tough position. They have tried to run a first class organization and show no patience for players who don't represent the organization well.

In other words, the bad citizens are sent packing.

It's one thing to release a journeyman wide receiver for punching a woman in the face in the middle of a restaurant. It's another to give a $51 million contract to your team MVP and NFL defensive player of the year a few months after he chokes and slaps his baby's mama.

Releasing the starting quarterback and face of the franchise, who has been promised $102 million, is in another stratosphere.

Up to this point, despite the recent, shall we say, inconsistency, in dealing with players who don't know how to treat women, the Rooneys have been different, not just from other NFL owners but from all professional team owners.

Two words for you: Jerry Jones

How about two more: Al Davis

Mark Cuban?

Dan Rooney, who has turned the day to day operations of the team over to his son, Art II, wouldn't be caught dead down on the sidelines during a game, but he would be in the locker room quietly and inconspicuously shaking every player's hand after every game. Dan and Art both have managed to be almost invisible and amazingly accessible at the same time. That's not to say that they both don't know how to manipulate the media for their benefit. Nobody should begrudge them that.

A million years ago, I did a TV report comparing and contrasting the Steelers and Dallas Cowboys. I pointed out that the Steelers' Owner, The Chief, Art Rooney, could be seen wandering around the Steelers' Three Rivers Stadium office every day greeting total strangers when they wandered in the door.

The Cowboys' receptionist told me that she hadn't seen the Cowboys owner, Clint Murchison, in two years.

Dan and the Chief were as down to Earth as any multimillionaire could be. Art II is still relatively new to the position but seems to be cut of the same cloth. I think all three are universally appreciated by the local media. But the media have also made it clear that they will be watching Dan and Art II to see how they will react if Roethlisberger is charged with sexual assault. If the league doesn't suspend him, then the media will be watching to see if the Rooneys do. Actually, it will be hard for Commissioner Roger Goodell not to suspend Roethlisberger indefinitely if he is brought up on charges.

That's what happened to Mike Vick. And he was assaulting dogs.

Despite the well known inconsistencies, the Steelers can still claim the high ground when it comes to maintaining or at least trying to maintain a positive image in the community. If they don't deal with Roethlisberger harshly, no matter the outcome of the cases in Arkansas and Georgia, they'll lose it.

Tiger Woods has hired former Bush 43 Communications Director Ari Fleisher to repair the damage that he did to himself. Ben should do a good scouting job on that situation to see how that turns out, because his image is going to need a complete overhaul.

Ben's a bad guy.

I don't know him and he's never done anything to me to make me dislike him, but there are just too many stories out there about how he mistreats people and expects special treatment himself. In 33 years of covering local sports, I've never come across a player who generated more unsolicited "Why is that guy such a jackass" questions. No player comes close. I've seen his teammates roll their eyes at the mention of his name. I had one guy, who covers the team on a daily basis, tell me that his teammates "despise" him. And he used capital letters. That was the summer before he led them to their last Super Bowl win. So, he may be a little more popular in the locker room now.

We don't know what happened in Georgia between him and his accuser, but here's what we do know: According to reports that I've seen, Roetlisberger rented out the VIP room at the Capital City nightclub and announced that only women would be allowed in. He then told his bodyguards and other members of his posse to go out and bring back some women. Think about that for a minute. This is a 28 year-old guy who's saying to a bar full of college kids, "I'm Ben Roethlisberger and you're not. I have millions of dollars and you don't. Tonight the women belong to me."

Now, that may not make him a criminal but it sure makes him a creep.

And a bad citizen.
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

I have no personal stories that I have witnessed, but I know of 2 that are documented.

Ben stood up a sick child and his family that I believe was part of the make a wish program. The mother of the child admitted it happened but didn't go anywhere with it because she doesn't want the attention.

Ben also stood up a benefit golf outing 2-3 years ago.. He was found getting drunk w/ his buddies and said he didn't want to participate. He later made up some excuse. The organizer of the golf outing was irate since he had paid Ben to be there. It sounded like a lawsuit was going to happen. I never heard anymore on it, so I'm guessing Ben settled it out of court. This was reported by the media.

I've heard he assaulted 2 different women but that is their word against his.

Last edited by madtowndrunkard; 03-16-2010 at 11:34 AM.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

His actions in that night club would not alarm me he were 23 years old. Once you hit your late 20's some sort of maturity should be expected. Renting out a VIP lounge w/ your buddies and telling your body guards to round up the attractive women is not the actions you would expect from the face of your franchise. If it were a bachelor party I guess I could see that going on and it would be fine. But add this story to the many other stories and it all adds up to Ben being a total jerk.

It's been well documented that most of Ben's teammates hate him....or at least did 2 years ago. Batch told the story to the media that he took Ben aside and told him his career was going down the toilet if he didn't change. He told him his teammates hated him.

Remember Ben's relationship with Plaxico Burress? I think Plax was ben's only friend on the team at that time. What does that tell you?

I also thought Ben's disrespect for Bill Cowher after he left was telling.

I like him as my QB. He's just not a person I would want my kids looking up to.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,080 Times in 4,583 Posts

i talked to a girl who met ben about a month ago and i posted what she said when i asked if he acted like a jerk . he pretty much was just a dick to her friend cause she mispronounced his name. but he didnt rape them-

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=48854
Old 03-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

my old girlfriend cheated on me with him. they met at an usher concert in the burgh and went out for drinks the next week. she said he was nice but really into himself. tthis was his 1st year and when she met him she had no clue who he was but she said all he talked about was himself. obviously that dosnt make him a bad person and i was kinda glad he took her off my hands because i was getting really sick of her.
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141

I honestly don't care if he is a jerk as long as he keeps winning Superbowls. It's not like I wanna be friends with the guy I just want to watch him play ball.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
my old girlfriend cheated on me with him. they met at an usher concert in the burgh and went out for drinks the next week. she said he was nice but really into himself. tthis was his 1st year and when she met him she had no clue who he was but she said all he talked about was himself. obviously that dosnt make him a bad person and i was kinda glad he took her off my hands because i was getting really sick of her.

yea right
Old 03-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #9
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

He stole from the collection plate and lugied in the sacrement.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
I bet you it was that dude who got busted impersonating Ben!