Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 03-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #11
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280
Default Re: If Ben really is a jerk

Anyone else recall any famous QB's w/ similar reputations?

I know of one first hand. Brett Favre.

He was a notorious partier and womanizer during his first 5 years w/ the Packers. Saw him on a beach in Mexico drunk as a skunk w/ a hottie under each arm. Ran into him at several college bars. Him and Mark Chumura (the guy accused of raping a teenager) used to hit bars all the time and round up chicks. They were out of control but no one cared...and he was never accused of rape as far as I know. Brett had a wife at home while this was all going on. His wife finally put a stop to it and Bret quit the drugs and distanced him self from everyone. (except the media apparently)

I also recall an old Jets QB having quite the reputation as well. This isn't a new thing.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside Jonny View Post
I bet you it was that dude who got busted impersonating Ben!
hahha, that would be funny but it was him.
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #13
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

bring back the "banned" one who's name begins with "JER" and you'll get all kinds of "first hand stories"
Old 03-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #14
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
bring back the "banned" one who's name begins with "JER" and you'll get all kinds of "first hand stories"
IMO, still the single funniest post in the history of this board: http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...484#post337484

fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #15
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

that is a pretty good post. personally i dont think its true but its good
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #16
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

While he may have handled situations in poor judgment, it doesn't necessarily make him a jerk. I've heard the tales of many players current and former that were either jerks or not. Case in point, Jack Lambert - from what I've heard from fans at St. Vincent College - use to sign autographs on the hill until all of them were signed, but now he won't sign anything unless it's at an autograph session or through his group that aligns everything for it to be signed. Some would say that makes him a jerk.

As much as I'd like to say these guys should sign everyone's autographs or do whatever it is they may have agreed to do, it doesn't mean they aren't human and either forget, just decide they've had enough and don't show, or whatever the reason. The problem is that as fans we seem to come with a "You owe us" mentality. In reality they don't owe us shite.

In 1999, I worked for the Redskins and I learned something then that I've carried with me. Certain players, perform on the field and they believe that gives them a certain "Above It All" status. Daryll Green was the biggest prick when he wasn't on camera. He at one time even threatened to have me fired from my job after he retired (if I was still in the office at that time). But fans don't care about that, they want victories on the field, the rest is just off-season non-sense. Maybe Ben has taken on that mentality, and if he wants to be a jack-arse off-field and off-camera then that's on him and if eventually comes out that he's doing that more often than not, then I'll agree he's a jerk.

But until the bad stories out weigh the good ones, I'll take the human approach with him. Lord knows there are days that I've agreed to do something but I just can't for various reasons - and some of those are, "I just can't handle it today!" The difference being is that I'm just a face in the crowd while Ben is the face of our franchise.

I'd love to see how the judges here would handle such a change in stardom in their life!
Would you sign everything?
What about dinner out with your family?
What about your own down time?
Would you go out with your friends?
Would you be taking time with the opposite sex?
Would you just be a home-body?

It's easy to judge when we're looking in to the glass house rather than from inside it!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #17
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

Good points Stlrtruck. I for one don't know how I would react. I personally like to be left alone, especially when I am out with my wife, so I think I would get a little ticked off. I also would hope that I would understand my position and/or status and would try to be as cordial as possible. OK, again, don't know what I would do. Wouldn't mind finding out for 100+ million dollars though.

On the Ben story points I can chime in a bit. He frequents Charleston, SC alot because supposedly he owns a bar in Kiawah Island and his old college roommate owns one in Charleston also. Some of my students called me on a Sunday and said they saw Ben at a club in downtown Charleston and supposedly he was pretty cool. They said they just wanted to say hi and shake his hand and they said he was cordial and shook their hands and said hi. These are two good kids that I cannot see making up a story, and some of my other friends said that they heard stories of him in town that night so I have to go on that. From that story, he seems OK, but I was not personally there.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #18
Corey120120
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15530

Im not a big fan of ben's but i do understand why he is turning down autographs. I mean could you imagine signing every hat, shirt, jersey, or peice of paper someone brings to you? but if the whole poor little sick girl story is real thats pretty bad.
Corey120120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:12 PM   #19
WH

Member Number:

If i were famous the first thing I would do is have a rubberstamp of my Autograph made and carry it and an ink pad with me at all times.

Can I have an autograph.....bap....there ya go

Would I be thought of as a dick? Probably, but my hands wouldn't ache.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #20
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH View Post
If i were famous the first thing I would do is have a rubberstamp of my Autograph made and carry it and an ink pad with me at all times.

Would I be thought of as a dick? Probably, but my hands wouldn't ache.
Haha, that would be funny. I am picturing Ben and Co. at training camp with stamp pads in hand.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote