Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 03-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141
Default Moving Down for Maurkice Pouncey?

With the recent vetran signings that have occured I have begun to change my stance on how I believe the FO should be approaching the draft. I understand that CB is probably the most glaring need on this team. I also understand that a lot of people are high on taking an OL player. But IMO taking a CB or OL at 18 does not make much sense to me (depending on who is still available). This is why recently I have changed my stance and believe moving down for Maurkice Pouncey is the best option. Let me explain.

1. If all the top DB's are gone I would hate to see us reach for a guy like Kyle Wilson or Patrick Robinson. IMO Players like Kareem Jackson or Brandon Ghee who will be available in the 2nd are just as good if not better.

2. If all the top OL talent is gone reaching for a guy like Mike Iupati(holds too much) or Anthony Davis is not sensible either. Bruce Campbell also scares the hell outta me.

3. Like it or not Starks and Colon are going to be your starting Tackles next year.

This leaves the Guard and Center positions. With the return of Kemo, LG will not be a serious need. But RG and C are two positions where the OL could use a serious upgrade.

IMHO Maurkice Pouncey is one of the best OG/C prospects to come along in a while and would offer and uprgade over Hartwig or Essex. I'm 100% positive that he could beat out one of the two for a starting job his rookie season. By moving down to grab Pouncey the Steelers will also be able to improve their 2nd round position so that they can grab one of the previously mentioned CB's. Besides it's time for the Steelers to return to the tradition of having one of the best Centers in the league. I'm getting tired of these patch jobs they keep putting on the anchor position of the O line.

This thread is completely based on my opinion. The more I think about the possiblity of landing a top notch C to anchor this O line for the next 10+ years, the more sense the move makes to me. Please give me some feedback.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,081 Times in 3,070 Posts
Default Re: Moving Down for Maurkice Pouncey?

i think there will be someone worthy there at #18, and if not we should trade up.

this was jim wexells take on pouncey-

Quote:
Yes, I think 1.18 is too early to draft Pouncey. Just not that good of an athlete. I'd rather take J.D. Walton of Baylor in R2-3.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i think there will be someone worthy there at #18, and if not we should trade up.

Well I guess me and Wexell will just have to disagree. I believe Pouncey is the best C available in this draft by a country mile!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,896 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

I agree. Some are saying that this is the best defensive draft in 20 years.....it would be a shame to take a center in the 1st. I also think Alex Mack and Eric Wood were better last year and they went in the last half of the 1st.

Brian Billick said last year that its tough as an NFL coach to justify drafting a center in the 1st round, when you can get solid centers there in later rounds. He said its easier when you pick later because the bottom of the 1st is almost like the top of the 2nd.

I'd rather have Tennant or Walton too with a later pick. Differenct between a 1st round and 3rd round center isnt that much......but a 1st round talented CB at #18 vs a 3rd round guy can be much more.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

i think i would rather have iupati but if we cant get him then trading down for pouncey would be a good idea. it would help us out in the 2nd round as well.
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I agree. Some are saying that this is the best defensive draft in 20 years.....it would be a shame to take a center in the 1st. I also think Alex Mack and Eric Wood were better last year and they went in the last half of the 1st.

Brian Billick said last year that its tough as an NFL coach to justify drafting a center in the 1st round, when you can get solid centers there in later rounds. He said its easier when you pick later because the bottom of the 1st is almost like the top of the 2nd.

I'd rather have Tennant or Walton too with a later pick. Differenct between a 1st round and 3rd round center isnt that much......but a 1st round talented CB at #18 vs a 3rd round guy can be much more.
Great points....and you are starting to sell me on Tennant. His tape looks like he has the anchor and core strength...though I wouldnt mind for him to pack on another 10-15 lbs.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
jollyrob68
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15873

I like Pouncey at 18.He is at 17 on Mel Kipers big board. I also like Jd Walton in later rounds but here's the problem we have. Every year(the past few) we wait to take a quality O lineman and grab one later and it bites us in the ass. O lineman aren't the sexy pick but when we use to draft them early we had then for years. We Steeler NAtion need our future Center and his name is Maurkice Pouncey.
Trading back to pickup an additional round 2 is smart and I'd understand the risk of losing Pouncey but then the Steelers would have to reach for a center in rd 2 defeating the purpose of getting that 2nd rounder.
The team that would give up their 2nd rounder to move up is The Cowboys if Iupati is there. However I could see teams before the Cowboys drafting Pouncey.

As far as Drafting a CB at 18 the only one would be Joe Haden according to the experts. All others are a reach but if you moved back picked up a additional 2nd ,lost pouncey then take Jared Odrick or a CB.
The Steelers have always been about their Front 7 and with a better pass rush our CB can be anyone including William Gay.
If earl Thomas is there take him he can play 2 positions, Safety or CB.

Last edited by jollyrob68; 03-16-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Earl Thomas
jollyrob68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Great points....and you are starting to sell me on Tennant. His tape looks like he has the anchor and core strength...though I wouldnt mind for him to pack on another 10-15 lbs.
I would also agree if the Steelers go another route. I really like Matt Tennant as well.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

So your saying that we wouldn't be able to find great defenders in later rounds? If the draft is so deep with D talent then taking a C in the 1st makes perfect sense. Because there isn't as much depth at that position (C) vs. DB for instance.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Based on his combine, game tape and senior bowl...i don't see how Kyle Wilson is a reach at 18
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote