Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-17-2010, 01:13 AM   #11
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850
Default Re: Can Foote take Farrior's job?

It will be interesting to see how they are rotated.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:19 AM   #12
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
actually he is being brought back precisely for his mental-

per wexell:

Yes, if Farrior gets hurt, replacement will be Foote, who's more verbal and understands position and defense better than Timmons.

Foote will back both inside positions, and in place to take Farrior's spot in '11 s/ he knows most complicated Def posiition

and not that his word is gospel but he doesnt think farrior has lost a step (foote spelling him in games should keep both fresh and even better)-

Sorry, but just because of 2 plays I'm not down on Farrior's speed (for Foote?!). Watch last play of Ravens II, James on Rice.
Thanks Tony...I was inclined to think think that Timmons would eventually move to the "buck" position with Fox as his backup ....and Foote might be moved to the "mack" when Farrior steps down.

Looks like another case in which I was over analyzing the move.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:42 AM   #13
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,292 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I would say if Farrior goes down to injury then yes Foote would replace him. I am sure they will both get about the same amount of playing time being rotated in and out during the game.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:33 AM   #14
SteelGhost
Starter

Member Number: 13528

I think Foote is back to provide depth, I don't think he will be the heir apparent to Potsie. I remember watching him waiting for the running backs to tackle them, instead of going after them, it's not a good thing for a guy who is supposed to be a solid run stuffer IMHO I thank the guy for his toughness and his contribution to the team though.
SteelGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #15
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
I would say if Farrior goes down to injury then yes Foote would replace him. I am sure they will both get about the same amount of playing time being rotated in and out during the game.
and that's really bad news for the steelers' pass defense. 2009/10's worst pass coverage LB in the NFL taking farrior's spot?
Old 03-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #16
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelGhost View Post
I think Foote is back to provide depth, I don't think he will be the heir apparent to Potsie. I remember watching him waiting for the running backs to tackle them, instead of going after them, it's not a good thing for a guy who is supposed to be a solid run stuffer IMHO I thank the guy for his toughness and his contribution to the team though.
Agreed..thats one of the reasons I have been pimping Micah Johnson in the upcoming draft. Before the injury I thought he rated above Brandon Spikes.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #17
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey120120 View Post
AGREE 100%
Me too.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #18
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

Somebody mentioned not knowing the difference between the "MACK" ILB and the "other one" (known as the "BUCK" ILB)

For those that don't know, the Mack is basically the weak side (away from the TE) ILB and the Buck is the Strong side (Same side as the TE) ILB.
This is in a 3-4 or (rarely used anymore) 4-4 defensive scheme. The OLBs are known as the Sam (strong side) and Will (weakside)

If the defensive scheme is a 4-3 the OLBs are still Sam and Will and the single middle linebacker is now called the Mike 'backer.

Wikipedia has a decent description, but this Cheesehead blogger describes it better, I think

from http://waldo56.wordpress.com/2009/08...-hat-plus-one/

The ILBís

There are two distinctly different ILB positions, the SILB and WILB, strong and weak. In Domís system the SILB is named the buck, the WILB is named the mack. Unlike the OLBís, the ILBís do change sides based on which side the TE is on, with good reason. Usually if there is an uncovered gap or extra blocker, it is on the strong side. When looking at number counts, especially when a FB is involved, there are almost always as many blockers on the strong side as there are defenders. The buck and mack have very different skill sets as it relates to the run.

The buck is a banger. Remember one of the initial premises I made, a back with no blockers isnít going very far. The buck eliminates the blockers. If there is a G coming through, mix it up with the G and try to keep him in the gap. If the FB is coming through, stop him in his tracks. The last thing you want the buck doing is shedding the blocks, unless the RB is past or nearly past him. If he sheds the blocks early and fails to tackle the back, he made matters worse, now these blockers are in the secondary, the plus one has a blocker coming his way. Not good. The buck is supposed to engage blockers, not run around them.

If the buck has to take care of an offensive lineman, the best you can hope for is that he holds him up in the gap and doesnít get blown backward or thrown to the ground. Likewise he should hit the FB back and maintain control of the gap. The buck is essentially a small mobile defensive lineman, as it relates to the run, he almost always is part of the gap control scheme and has a gap assigned to him. He did his job if the back has to look elsewhere for an opening and if there are no blockers out in front of him.

The mack is the playmaker. He often has no gap assigned to him. He is to seek and destroy the guy with the ball. If the rest of the front did their jobs, he should be free of blockers. If not, he should shed any block immediately or go around them in pursuit of the ball. The mack is the star of the defense. He should always be around the ball. If he is blocked, the secondary has to make the play.

Buck Ė Hawk, Lansanah, Havner
Mack Ė Barnett, Chillar, Bishop
Old 03-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #19
jollyrob68
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15873

I think Foote will beat out Farrior and Timmons will move to Farriors spot and Foote will claim his old spot. The Steelers need to pickup 2 LB in this draft. Hopefully the can play either ILB/OLB. I like Micah Johnson(thanks super fly steeler) and I like AJ Edds,Eric Norwood,Koa Misi,sean Lee.

I havent heard a lot on Ricky Sapp good or bad.
jollyrob68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #20
TheWarDen86
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 2,968 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
actually he is being brought back precisely for his mental-

per wexell:

Yes, if Farrior gets hurt, replacement will be Foote, who's more verbal and understands position and defense better than Timmons.

Foote will back both inside positions, and in place to take Farrior's spot in '11 s/ he knows most complicated Def posiition

Right, but not to replace Farrior. I agree that he's got a better grasp of LeBeau's defense than Timmons (agree in a heartbeat actually). But Farrior has the edge IMO with regards to leadership value over Foote.