Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 03-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #21
Corey120120
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15530
Default Re: Can Foote take Farrior's job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelGhost View Post
I think Foote is back to provide depth, I don't think he will be the heir apparent to Potsie. I remember watching him waiting for the running backs to tackle them, instead of going after them, it's not a good thing for a guy who is supposed to be a solid run stuffer IMHO I thank the guy for his toughness and his contribution to the team though.
Ya if you watch his press confrence on the steelers website he says that he is back to provide depth and help everyone out and to be there if someone gets injured
Corey120120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #22
steelerdude15
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15774

I don't see Foote taking Farrior's spot. I see it being Timmons and Farrior as starters with Foote being a back up. He could alternate with these two when they're tired or on plays he could be better at. He could make a good special teams starter, they need all the help they could get.
steelerdude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:33 PM   #23
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,760 Times in 1,585 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
and that's really bad news for the steelers' pass defense. 2009/10's worst pass coverage LB in the NFL taking farrior's spot?
I know what you are saying and that is why we need to draft someone who can fill in for the aging farriors spot. We need to get some fresh legs in there and quit playing tiddly winks with these veterans.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #24
SteelGhost
Starter

Member Number: 13528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey120120 View Post
Ya if you watch his press confrence on the steelers website he says that he is back to provide depth and help everyone out and to be there if someone gets injured
I had not watched it, thanks for the info Corey

Glad to know Larry knows what's going to be his role coming back to the black & gold.
SteelGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #25
tube517
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1868

That's exactly what I was thinking. Similar to what they did with McFadden/Gay/Townsend in 2008.

If Farrior and Timmons get a breather every now and then, they will be fresh. Last year they couldn't afford that with no depth. And I think Farrior is on his last legs. Potsie's been great but he can't do it forever.

Same with Randle El. I think he makes the WR corps the deepest in the league. He won't scare defenses but he will help give Grandpa Hines (kidding, Hines rules), Tone and MW17 a breather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
My guess is that they're going for a rotation to both keep everyone fresh and get the use of each their attributes (Farrior, Foote, Timmons).

That said, Foote may be the heir apparent to Farrior after this year. Who knows, maybe Potsie will respond to being pushed by a 3rd ILB.
tube517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #26
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking. Similar to what they did with McFadden/Gay/Townsend in 2008.

If Farrior and Timmons get a breather every now and then, they will be fresh. Last year they couldn't afford that with no depth. And I think Farrior is on his last legs. Potsie's been great but he can't do it forever.

Same with Randle El. I think he makes the WR corps the deepest in the league. He won't scare defenses but he will help give Grandpa Hines (kidding, Hines rules), Tone and MW17 a breather.
Also, someone brought him up earlier, but Key. Fox was solid each time he came in. Not sure if his role would expand, but I like him against the run (and of course on St's).
Old 03-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #27
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,371 Times in 4,307 Posts

Quote:
Also, someone brought him up earlier, but Key. Fox was solid each time he came in. Not sure if his role would expand, but I like him against the run (and of course on St's).
didnt the steelers lock up key fox for about a million/year? what does steelers management and coaches know that we dont, that caused them to go out and spend $3 mil/year for his replacement as a back up?
Old 03-17-2010, 09:46 PM   #28
NJarhead
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
didnt the steelers lock up key fox for about a million/year? what does steelers management and coaches know that we dont, that caused them to go out and spend $3 mil/year for his replacement as a back up?
I don't honestly know Tone. Maybe they threw caution to the wind with regards to a salary cap after all.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #29
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,371 Times in 4,307 Posts

Quote:
I don't honestly know Tone. Maybe they threw caution to the wind with regards to a salary cap after all.
me neither. they are obviously more commited to foote as opposed to fox at this point.

i think it just might be the cost of running lebeaus defense. you practically need a football player with an IQ of 140+ to come in and execute it near flawlessly within the 1st two years. (and we know there arent many of those)
Old 03-17-2010, 10:08 PM   #30
NJarhead
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
me neither. they are obviously more commited to foote as opposed to fox at this point.

i think it just might be the cost of running lebeaus defense. you practically need a football player with an IQ of 140+ to come in and execute it near flawlessly within the 1st two years. (and we know there arent many of those)
I agree that his familiarization was a key factor. But you do bring up a good point and the weakest link would have to be Farrior here (based on the Key and Foote signings and with his struggles of '09 in mind - For the record, I still love the guy to death no matter what). Could they be considering his retirement after this season?