Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-17-2010, 07:17 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers daily digest: Ohio State Kurt Coleman exclusive; cornerback could fit needs

Steelers daily digest: Ohio State Kurt Coleman exclusive; cornerback could fit needs
March 17, 7:19 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...ould-fit-needs

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers more than likely, unless they pull yet another trade or sign a free-agent will be searching for a cornerback come draft day.

Here's a potential sleeper no one is talking about, but a player from a big time school in Ohio State who could help the Steelers. Although he has played strong safety, he is expected to switch to cornerback and many have him going in the fourth or fifth rounds because of that.

His name? Kurt Coleman.

Last season he was a member of the First team All -Big Ten team and recorded 68 tackles, had four pass deflections and five picks.

Coleman was known for his punishing hits while a player for the Buckeyes and isn't afraid to go after an opposing player to let them know he is there.

"Most definitely, the wide receiver running to the holes have to have some fear running across the middle," Coleman said. "And I try to give hem a little licking out there o let them know I'm there."

Although he was unable to run the 40 at the Combine, he did so at Pro Day and because of it, his stock is rising on draft boards.

"Three days before the Pro day I wasn't sure I would be able to run," Coleman said. " My groin was flaring up, but it felt fine. If I could have given it a few days, I think I could have run even faster. but I was pleased with my times."

Asked about the Combine and his Pro Day at Ohio State Coleman had this to say.

It was a very tiring process throughout those four days, but it was process I am going to cherish," he said. " I was able to give myself some leverage with those coaches, where I was able to give than an idea of my character and the type of good person I am. So along with the Pro day I think my stock is going up."

Coleman said in the next few weeks he would be visiting several teams, but did not specify which ones at this juncture. The Steelers did have reps at Ohio State's Pro Day.

" The next few weeks leading up to the draft, you are trying to lobby yourself as much as you can, and hopefully a earn likes you enough to draft you come April 22."

Coleman would also be a help on Special teams as he loves to gun down the field and hit someone.

"I loved doing that for Ohio State and started to really get into my senior year," Coleman said. "Because I felt I was one of the better guys out there when it came to playing special teams. Hopefully I can do that and also see some plays my first year in the NFL."

Height: 5-10. Weight: 191.
Projected 40 Time: 4.53.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.52.
Benchx225: 19. Vertical: 34.5.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,767 Times in 883 Posts
Default Re: Steelers daily digest: Ohio State Kurt Coleman exclusive; cornerback could fit ne

I like Coleman, as he seems to have a nose for the ball and is an instinctive player. His 5 INT's this year is equal to what Taylor Mays had his entire career at USC.

Coleman didnt look good against top competition at the Senior Bowl and maybe its because he was nursing the groin injury....i dont know. The one thing you have to be careful of is the 40-time. The Woody Hayes center surface is notoriously fast. Thaddeus Gibson ran a 4.71 at the combine, but runs a 4.58 at his pro day. You can look back and see similar results and scouts know this. So basically, Coleman might have run a 4.6 at Indy.

I still would not mind taking him in the 4th or later.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119
Default Re: Steelers daily digest: Ohio State Kurt Coleman exclusive; cornerback could fit ne

If he can't compete at cb because of his speed it sounds like he would make a good safety for us. He sounds like he has good character so maybe we pull the trigger on him.
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,767 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulldog24 View Post
If he can't compete at cb because of his speed it sounds like he would make a good safety for us. He sounds like he has good character so maybe we pull the trigger on him.
He's 5'10" 192 lbs and doesnt have great speed. He played safety in college and if he plays corner, its strictly as a nickle back in the NFL. I think he is a better safety prospect.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
jonslow
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15823

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
He's 5'10" 192 lbs and doesnt have great speed. He played safety in college and if he plays corner, its strictly as a nickle back in the NFL. I think he is a better safety prospect.
Agreed on both counts. He is not a cornerback. If we are going to take a corner, I want it to be someone with experience and protyptical physical tools of a lockdown corner.

Coleman did not look good during Senior Bowl week. He looked slow and stiff and did not help his case to be a mid-round safety. My money is on him either coming out as a corner and getting converted back to safety or starting out as a safety in the NFL. That's a tough transition for a lot of safeties, and I think Coleman would struggle at corner.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

I like the Coleman from LSU better.

He brings better size and physicality versus the ball hawking Kurt has, but maybe a round later.

If we don't land Earl Thomas, I really hope we go in the "strong" direction after all the FA activity we've had to shore up the "free" position.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote