Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-17-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
jonslow
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15823
Default Freddie Barnes and BG's pro day

Bowling Green's pro day was yeterday. Freddie Barnes worked out in front of scouts from 14 NFL teams including one of our very own.

There's been no official word on Barnes' 40-time, but early indications at that he ran a high-4.5, low-4.6 40, which was what he was expected to run.

I overheard one scout talking about Barnes and his agility, which is very good and could offset his slow-ish 40 time. As a projected slot receiver, route-running and agility are especially important for Barnes.

During receiving drills, Barnes looked very, very good at times. He displayed great hands and the ability to run crisp routes. Last season at Bowling Green, Barnes put together a phenominal season and was a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award.

I for one would like to see Barnes in black and gold next year. If he slips into the fifth round, he would be a great pick for the steelers as someone to replace Hines Ward in the slot for the future.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745
Default Re: Freddie Barnes and BG's pro day

Definately a guy I'd have on the radar for the later rounds.

I know he has good hands, and is versitle in the fact he could throw the ball if needed. Some of the things Randle El was quite good at, and could be still asked to do.

Another guy that is a little taller, with some more speed might be Marcus Easley. He hasn't done much before his final season, but he definately has the "I like 'em tall" red zone ability we're still waiting on.

The guy I really like in these later rounds is Blair White. The guy has a great work ethic, and is a very tough. He has some good hands, accompaning some good route running. Best of all, he'll throw a block without batting an eye. He could be that physical, possession receiver that could replace Hines, as you eluded to with Barnes.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
Northside Jonny
Team Captain

Member Number: 5141

I hope like hell we land Freddie B.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

I really like this kid and you can't deny his production, I hope we get him come April.
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,273 Times in 1,398 Posts

since the steelers decided to waste 2 roster spots on 2 vet receivers with zero upside, i don't see them using more than a 7th rd pick on WR if at all since most likely they end up on the practice squad anyway unless they're a special teams demon.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
since the steelers decided to waste 2 roster spots on 2 vet receivers with zero upside, i don't see them using more than a 7th rd pick on WR if at all since most likely they end up on the practice squad anyway unless they're a special teams demon.

Do you think they might deal one of those guys for something if we draft a guy? Thinking about Battle mostly I guess. I doubt the team would do that since they seem to give the players quite a bit of respect.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

If we take a WR, it should be very late. I am still interested to see what Easley could do.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
SteelerFanInStl
Team Captain

Member Number: 2162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely McSmash View Post
Do you think they might deal one of those guys for something if we draft a guy? Thinking about Battle mostly I guess. I doubt the team would do that since they seem to give the players quite a bit of respect.
No. We signed Battle because he's a very good special teams player and we need help there. There's no reason to draft a WR until late and that guy will probably be a practice squad player.
SteelerFanInStl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,273 Times in 1,398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely McSmash View Post
nope..they're already on the hook for million dollar signing bonus's for both battle AND A.R.E., so pretty much the receiving core is already decided despite who they have a chance to draft. they might use a 7th on a guy just for practice squad competition with grisham... i'd have to say signing both of them so quick was one of the dumbest moves the steelers have made since bring that bum mayhan in.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:19 AM   #10
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,292 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I think we will draft a receiver before the 5th round I just have a gutsy feeling.