Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-24-2005, 07:07 PM   #1
JerseySTEEL
Team Captain

Member Number: 284
Default Haslett Apologizes To Steelers After Steroid Admission

(UPDATING) (CHANGING DATELINE)

METAIRIE, Louisiana (Ticker) - New Orleans Saints coach Jim Haslett apologized to the Pittsburgh Steelers on Thursday after accusing the organization of using steroids in the 1970s.

Haslett admitted to taking steroids for a short time as a player with the Buffalo Bills when addressing reporters at the NFL owner meetings on Wednesday.

Haslett also said that "all the offensive and defensive linemen, linebackers" were steroid users during his playing career and specifically pointed his finger at the Steelers, who won four Super Bowl titles in six years in the 1970s.

"It (steroid use) started, really, in Pittsburgh," Haslett told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "They got an advantage on a lot of football teams. They were so much stronger (in the) '70s, late '70s, early '80s. They're the ones who kind of started it."

Haslett issued an apologetic statement on Thursday.

"I was not intending to do any harm to anyone or any organization in the NFL with these statements and if I did I offer my sincerest apology," Haslett said in the statement. "I have the utmost respect for (Steelers chairman) Mr. (Dan) Rooney and what he has meant to the NFL and offer my apologies to him and the Steelers.

"My intent yesterday (Wednesday), as it is today (Thursday), is to highlight how far our drug testing policy has come, how stringent it is and how effective it is."

A former Pro Bowl linebacker, Haslett played for the Bills from 1979-85. He reiterated on Thursday that steroids were used by players in his years in the NFL.

"We would be naive to think that enhancing drugs were never used in our league," Haslett said. "But the difference between us and baseball is that the NFL recognized the steroid use was detrimental to our league and has implemented policies to ensure that it never would be an issue."

The NFL began to suspend players for steroid use in 1989 and introduced random testing a year later.

First-time offenders are suspended for four games. A total of 44 players have been banned since the policy was instituted. No one has tested positive more than once.

Second-time offenders would receive a six-game suspension. Third-time offenders would get a one-year ban.

WTf this guy ia a bad coach and i didtn even think he played football . so he can go screw himself and his job whe the saints move to LA.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:37 PM   #2
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: Haslett Apologizes To Steelers After Steroid Admission

I`m sure steroid use was all over the NFL back then, before evryone knew all the side effects and everything, it was everywhere. Haslett just sounds a little bitter. Even now players can take legal supplements. that will probably soon be banned , pro hormones were just banned Jan. 20 2005. And testosterone boosters will probbaly be next.

Hey Haslett would you make the same comments if the Steelers wouldn`t HAVE WON 4 RINGS?
Old 03-24-2005, 09:50 PM   #3
JerseySTEEL
Team Captain

roids are evry were there new stuff eveyr yera that can get by tests but football does have one of the stiffs rules and tetsing.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:16 AM   #4
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

oh man, are we ever gonna get over this steroid thing... my god.. baseball has got everybody feeling guilty now
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 07:06 AM   #5
SteelersFever
Founder

Member Number: 1

I'm not a politician, but I do know that they're are much bigger problems in this world than steroids. For congress to step in and try to legislate MLB regulations is ridiculous. The people who take steroids know the risks involved. Don't even tell me it's about the children, because more people die from tobacco annually and they're not doing shit about that. Nothing against any smokers here. Get this over with as soon as possible. I'm sick of hearing about it!
SteelersFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:06 AM   #6
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Great point Steelers Fever!

Not only that there are products on the market, legal, that are just as harmful as steroids if not more harmful. Novedex can increase testosterone by 400% in two weeks. Side Effects: heart problems, liver disease, kidney failure, baldness, bitch tits, acne, etc. Every time something gets banned, something else will take its place.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:08 AM   #7
JerseySTEEL
Team Captain

and theres stuff outthere that is beign mad for 1 person at a tiem is made just for what they need its crazy.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:44 AM   #8
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

while I'm sure steroids were around in that day and age, I have one point to show how involved we were...

Chuck Noll was a teacher. A science type teacher for that point. He was always reading about new trends and theories about how to strengthen our players. I remember one where he read that running down hill puts different stress on your legs thus increasing muscle gain, so in camp he all our guys run downhill. Then don't you know, most of our guys get injured before the season for falling down, or twisted ankles.

...don't you think if we believed steroids were the answer we wouldn't have wasted our time doing this? Check it out...
Old 03-27-2005, 01:52 AM   #9
JerseySTEEL
Team Captain

the thing i find funny is u see all those players from the 70's they look great stilla dn i dotn remebr them breakign bones very often bc thats what those roids did they weakened your bones.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:15 AM   #10
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

This is again, the last thing the NFL needs is players starting to have guilty consciences and bringing this crap up. It was a problem then, its not near the problem now that it was. the NFL's substance abuse policy works great. that doesnt mean there still arent some users in the league now..but its sure as hell not as rampant, and alot harder to get away with now too.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote