Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-21-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers daily digest: Linebacker Brandon Spikes meets with Steelers

Steelers daily digest: Linebacker Brandon Spikes meets with Steelers
March 21, 9:07 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...-with-Steelers

GAINESVILLE, FLA - The Steelers coaching staff sat down with another Florida player during its Pro Day, this according to a source at the University.

That player is linebacker Brandon Spikes, who many feel have the size to make a switch to Outside linebacker or even a Defensive end in the 3-4 scheme.

Spikes is 6-foot-2, 249 pounds.

The one thing about Spikes, is that he has good football knowledge. He knows how to anticipate where the ball is going and is great at getting to the opposing rusher. Four of Spikes' six career interceptions went for touchdowns, but his production was down from his stellar sophomore year the past two years.

Last year in regard to stats, it was his worst year on the field for the Gators, but he was plagued with injuries including a groin and heel tendinitis. Still he always seemed to come up with the play when it was needed.

Spikes was involved in an on field incident in a game against Georgia that caught national attention. In that contest he poked Bulldog freshman running back Washaun Ealy through the facemask.

Gator coach suspended him for a half of the next game, but Spikes refused to play the contest, instead suspending himself from playing. He spoke about the incident at the Combine last month to reporters.

" I didn't want younger players to think that was the right way to play the game," Spikes said. "There were a lot of emotions going on in that game, both sides were taking shots at each other. But that is why I suspended myself, because that is not the way the game is supposed go be played."

Spikes has been compared by many to former Ohio State standout James Laurinaitis but if there is a flaw it is his sideline to sideline running ability.

FREE AGENT NEWS

Willie Parker visited with the Rams, but left without a contract in hand. Last season for the Steelers, Parker rushed for 398 yards without a touchdown and he had only one receiving score.

Former Steeler Joey Porter, after taking a trip to DC, is the latest former player to sign with Pittsburgh West, IE; the Arizona Cardinals.

"I was looking to play for a West Coast team and I know everything Whiz is about," Porter told reporters. "He had me over there in Pittsburgh for eight years so I don't have to be blindsided by some new coaches and trying to wonder how I fit. I know exactly how I fit. I know how he would try and use me if I was here and I am just trying to be a piece to the puzzle that's already there."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
jollyrob68
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15873
Default Re: Steelers daily digest: Linebacker Brandon Spikes meets with Steelers

If Brandon Spikes is there in the 3rd snatch him up. He's a true 34 ILB but he's a 2 down ILB.
jollyrob68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
jonslow
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15823
Default Re: Steelers daily digest: Linebacker Brandon Spikes meets with Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyrob68 View Post
If Brandon Spikes is there in the 3rd snatch him up. He's a true 34 ILB but he's a 2 down ILB.
Agreed. He was clocked slower than 5.00 in the 40 at his pro day. His speed is a serious concern. He claims to have been battling injuries at the time, but I don't know if I believe it.

If he falls late, I wouldn't mind seeing us snag him, but not early on. I wouldn't expect him to come in and start immediately.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

yea i would definatly take him in the 3rd. his proday wasnt the best but he sure looks good on the field
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
SteelerFanInStl
Team Captain

Member Number: 2162

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyrob68 View Post
I'm not high on using a 3rd round pick for a 2 down player. He might be worth a 4th but not a 3rd.
SteelerFanInStl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
Steeldude
Living Legend

that's all the steelers need, a LB who is slower than their DTs.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
Steeldude
Living Legend

i wouldn't take a 5.1 40 LB in any round
Old 03-22-2010, 05:09 AM   #8
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,934 Times in 1,651 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
that's all the steelers need, a LB who is slower than their DTs.
Maybe with his speed we can put him up on the line as a DT.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
jollyrob68
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15873

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
I'm not high on using a 3rd round pick for a 2 down player. He might be worth a 4th but not a 3rd.
The one thing no one can argue is Spikes gets the job done. However I like Roddrick Muckelroy of Texas & AJ EDDS of Iowa.
jollyrob68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:01 PM   #10
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

That's the thing about the NFL it exposes all your college flaws.....and if speed is one of those flaws...you usually have a problem....If he can make up for lack of speed by awareness, quickness, and anticipation....he should be fine...
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote