Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #21
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659
Default Re: jeff reed hasnt signed franchise tender yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerdave1969 View Post
Sad thing is .. he will most likely get close to 5 years $4.2 or so.. wouldnt surprise me at all. And seeing last season play out the way it did... I wouldnt care as long as he makes the big kicks in games that could cost us Super Bowl #7
Although his meltdown in Chi prevented his team from making the playoffs. I know a number of missed opportunities throughout the year prevented them from making the playoffs, but two makeable kicks and they might have been in (most likely to lose in the first round, but that was extra revenue for the Rooneys and money for his teammates).

For $4.2M I would expect kickoffs to reach the endzone and a long FG threat, not just someone that is accurate inside the 45. In that respect, he's a one dimissional kicker.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #22
SteelGhost
Starter

Member Number: 13528

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklandrules View Post
Although his meltdown in Chi prevented his team from making the playoffs. I know a number of missed opportunities throughout the year prevented them from making the playoffs, but two makeable kicks and they might have been in (most likely to lose in the first round, but that was extra revenue for the Rooneys and money for his teammates).

For $4.2M I would expect kickoffs to reach the endzone and a long FG threat, not just someone that is accurate inside the 45. In that respect, he's a one dimissional kicker.
^This.

To reach the endzone and to kick higher to help the other 10 ST guys to cover adequately
SteelGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #23
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklandrules View Post

I believe the highest paid is Janikowski who gets $4m/yr. Last time I checked nobody was really following Al Davis's lead on anything. He overpays his punter too.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #24
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

We'll I'm for the Steelers paying what they can afford to pay. With the Steelers that's probably a little less than market value with market value being the ceiling. I know the guy can't kickoff and he also cost us the Bears game last year (in bad weather). But you can't argue with his accuracy inside of 45 yards (especially at Heinz Field). If they can afford him, please keep him. Because when we're at home this year in the AFC championship game with a 40 yarder to win it and go to the SuperBowl, I don't want some unproven rookie in there choking the game away.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #25
colescott1
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15803

He better realize for that sort of money, he also has to actually attempt to tackle kickoff returners when they go blowing by him.

*** and yes, I'm one of those crazy folks who EXPECT the kicker to be able to make a tackle. I know some here say "he's not paid to tackle". If thats the case, then why does he where a helmet and shoulder pads?
He's one of the 11 on the field, playing against 11 on the return team. Darn straight he better put forth some effort.
colescott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #26
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely McSmash View Post
I believe the highest paid is Janikowski who gets $4m/yr. Last time I checked nobody was really following Al Davis's lead on anything. He overpays his punter too.
For that matter, Al Davis pays the long snapper $1.7M.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...d-tenders.html

The Raiders are completely off on a tangent from reality, and for Reed and his agent to suggest we need to use that as a model for negotiations is insulting, quite frankly.

If the guy really has that much of an overinflated opinion of his value, we can move on, thanks, and I don't really care about OMG, Kris Brown, or OMG, nobody else in the entire universe can kick at Heinz Field. We'll manage just fine without this type of kicker contract drama bullshit.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #27
HughC
Starter

Member Number: 8512

The fact he hasn't signed is no big deal; check the calendar, it's only March. It's pretty much standard operating procedure as part of negotiations on the part of any NFL player who is tagged and his agent to not sign the tender. It's also not uncommon for one side to ask for a much larger sum of money in the beginning of negotiations than what they are actually looking for.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #28
rich4eagle
Starter

Member Number: 399

reed is not very good and a liability when he is not kicking field goals........personally the best thing to do is move on
rich4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #29
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughC View Post
The fact he hasn't signed is no big deal; check the calendar, it's only March. It's pretty much standard operating procedure as part of negotiations on the part of any NFL player who is tagged and his agent to not sign the tender. It's also not uncommon for one side to ask for a much larger sum of money in the beginning of negotiations than what they are actually looking for.
yeah, but on the other hand, I am sick of drama over the goddamn kicker. Hearing about it once was one time too many. Sign a deal and STFU, or take a hike, is where I am at this point.

A couple months of contract issues over James Harrison was worth it. Six months of contract issues over Hampton was worth it. A year of contract drama over Jeff bleeping Reed is way beyond old, and if he's serious about becoming a diva, he can feel free to suck a dick and go home.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:58 AM   #30
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich4eagle View Post
reed is not very good and a liability when he is not kicking field goals........personally the best thing to do is move on

Sorry, Rich, but that just cracked me up.

Other than the game against da Bears last season, the guy is about as clutch as they come and particularly at HF.

If he's a liability, then Harrison, Santo and Ben should move on too - right?

I think he and his agent wanting $4 mil a season is outrageous, but I give credit where it is due and Reed is one of the best PK's in the league when the game is on the line.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote