Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-23-2010, 03:40 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,303 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Steelers' Tomlin denies reports Roethlisberger appealed for Arians

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Ben Roethlisberger has been accused of doing many things lately. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin says there is one thing his quarterback did not do; he did not make an appeal to save his coordinator's job.

There were reports shortly after the Steelers' 2009 season ended that Tomlin planned to fire offensive coordinator Bruce Arians only to relent after Roethlisberger's plea to keep him.

"All false," Tomlin said Monday. "It's really a joke."

Tomlin spoke publicly for any length of time since he held a news conference Jan. 5, two days after the season ended without a playoff appearance for the Steelers. Tomlin subsequently fired several coaches but Arians was not among them. He said he was aware of the reports he was going to fire his offensive coordinator.

"I don't know where it came from," Tomlin said during a 30-minute interview at the NFL meetings. "I think it was generated by people outside of our building. I became aware of the confusion, but it wasn't something that was generated by us or through us so really I didn't have an opinion regarding it then, and I really don't now."

Tomlin agreed with team president Art Rooney's assertion to the Post-Gazette that the Steelers must run the ball more consistently than they did in 2009. And he said if they can find a fullback that suits the style of blocking to accomplish that -- as Dan Kreider did previously -- they will use him.

"We've got to run the ball more effectively in critical situations because that's how we desire to play football and it increases our chances of winning," Tomlin said. "It makes us a more dominant football team."

He said they hope to run better by working at it, which includes emphasizing it as well as executing it.

"It's a mentality. We've got to commit to doing it. Yes, ultimately when the ball's inside the white lines and we're playing football it's about execution. But it's also about planning, it's about preparation. It's a commitment, one that we're willing to continue to turn stones over to make sure that we're doing our very best to make sure we're great in those areas."

Among other notable topics Tomlin broached Monday:

Antwaan Randle El could be used in some ways how he was used before he left the Steelers as a free agent in 2006, including throwing the occasional pass and as a punt returner.

"I'm open to it developing. I'm not going to assume he's the same guy he was when he left here. Four years is a long time in football terms but we know what he's capable of."

On finding a running back to complement Rashard Mendenhall:

"Mewelde Moore has shown he's capable of that and he started five or six games and ran for 500, 600 yards in '08. He's shown capabilities in that area but we're not going to stop there. With the moves that we've made it's obvious that we're intent on creating competition. We believe that strengthens us. We've done that at linebacker. We've done so at safety. We've done so at wide receiver. If given the opportunity we'll continue to do so at running back."

On the health of linebacker Larry Foote, who did not play in Detroit's final two games because, one source said, he had a Lisfranc foot injury:

"I feel great about it. He passed our physical so I was comfortable with it."

On the chance Dennis Dixon will remain the No. 2 quarterback, after he moved into that job when Charlie Batch broke a wrist last season:

"He's a young guy who took a nice step between year one and year two. In terms of what he brings to the table, man, if he continues on that path I see no reason why he shouldn't."

Nearly three months later, on what went wrong in 2009 that kept his Super Bowl champs from making the playoffs, particularly their five-game losing streak:

"Because that was us. That's the story of the National Football League. It's one of the reasons I love it, man. You either do or you don't. We didn't.

"It was an uncomfortable stretch there for us all that highlights what we weren't. But the reality is we were not a playoff-caliber team. That's why we didn't make it."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10082/1044933-66.stm
Old 03-23-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311
Default Re: Steelers' Tomlin denies reports Roethlisberger appealed for Arians

"Tomlin agreed with team president Art Rooney's assertion to the Post-Gazette that the Steelers must run the ball more consistently than they did in 2009. And he said if they can find a fullback that suits the style of blocking to accomplish that -- as Dan Kreider did previously -- they will use him."

"We've got to run the ball more effectively in critical situations because that's how we desire to play football and it increases our chances of winning," Tomlin said. "It makes us a more dominant football team."
---
Let's home he means this. If we can run the ball more consistantly, to go along with our great passing game
it will be an exciting seasons. Looking forward to upcoming season.
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #3
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Tomlin refutes rumors of Arians' firing
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_672926.html
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, March 23, 2010

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said offensive coordinator Bruce Arians was not in danger of losing his job following the 2009 season.

There had been speculation that Tomlin would fire Arians, who has been a lightning rod for fan criticism as the Steelers have become a more pass-oriented attack and struggled in short-yardage running situations.

Asked specifically about a rumor that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger talked him out of firing Arians in early January, Tomlin said, "All false. It's really a joke.

"I don't know where it came from. I think it was generated by people outside of our building. I didn't have an opinion regarding it then and I really don't now."

The Steelers had a 4,000-yard passer, two 1,000-yard receivers and a 1,000-yard rusher for the first time in franchise history last season. But they finished 19th in the league in rushing (112.1 yards per game) and had trouble running the ball when they were inside their opponents' 20-yard line.

Tomlin said the Steelers, who hired Sean Kugler as offensive line coach, need to make more of a commitment to running the ball.

He said he is open to adding a traditional fullback -- something the Steelers haven't had since releasing Dan Kreider in 2008 -- to the roster.

But, Tomlin said, "If we don't have that guy, we're not going to put a square peg in a round hole. Everything that we do offensively, defensively and special teams is geared toward accentuating the skill set of the people we have."

Injury update

Tomlin said he has gotten positive reports regarding players who missed significant time last season because of injuries.

That includes strong safety Troy Polamalu, who was limited to five games in 2009 because of separate injuries to his left knee, and defensive end Aaron Smith.

The Steelers put Smith on injured reserve in October after he tore his rotator cuff.

Tomlin said he will limit the amount of work Smith gets in offseason practices, though not just because Smith will turn 34 next month and is coming off a major injury.

Tomlin said the Steelers want to give extra work to second-year defensive ends Ziggy Hood and Sunny Harris this spring.

"(Smith's) number of snaps in the spring and summer would be de-emphasized whether he was injured or not," Tomlin said.

Losses turn into gains

The Steelers will have two extra fifth-round picks and an additional seventh-round selection in next month's NFL Draft.

The Steelers were awarded three of the 32 compensatory draft picks that were doled out yesterday at the NFL owners meetings.

They received the picks for losing wide receiver Nate Washington, cornerback Bryant McFadden and quarterback Byron Leftwich in free agency last year.

The extra picks are No. 164, 166 and 242 in the draft, which will be held April 22-24.

The Steelers had one pick in all seven rounds prior to picking up the additional selections.

The New England Patriots lead all teams with four compensatory picks.

Extra points

Starting center Justin Hartwig will be limited in offseason practices after having offseason shoulder surgery, Tomlin said. ... Larry Foote, who signed with the Steelers last week, may have scared some teams off because of a lingering foot injury. But Tomlin said Foote passed the Steelers' physical and that he is "comfortable" with the signing. ... The Steelers will hold their first two offseason practices April 21-22. The NFL allows teams to hold 14 voluntary practices during the offseason.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
Chidi29
Starter

Member Number: 15832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL View Post
"Tomlin agreed with team president Art Rooney's assertion to the Post-Gazette that the Steelers must run the ball more consistently than they did in 2009. And he said if they can find a fullback that suits the style of blocking to accomplish that -- as Dan Kreider did previously -- they will use him."

---
Let's home he means this. If we can run the ball more consistantly, to go along with our great passing game
it will be an exciting seasons. Looking forward to upcoming season.
While I agree we need to be more effective in such situations, let's not forget this comment made by Tomlin in the same article.

But, Tomlin said, "If we don't have that guy, we're not going to put a square peg in a round hole. Everything that we do offensively, defensively and special teams is geared toward accentuating the skill set of the people we have."

Which I agree with 100%. And considering all the weapons we have at WR, at the very least, a decent straight line blocker in Johnson or possibly McHugh, and extinction of road-grading fullbacks, I wouldn't count on getting another Krieder in our lineup for a long, long time.
Chidi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456

Consider that the steelers were leaning towards Arians' firing & that Ben likes working with Arians. Put that into account with when Ben asked for a tall WR before the 2008 draft he got his wish
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

Are they saying Foote has a foot injury? That's like a libraian named "Bookman".
Old 03-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by St33lersguy View Post
Consider that the steelers were leaning towards Arians' firing & that Ben likes working with Arians. Put that into account with when Ben asked for a tall WR before the 2008 draft he got his wish
Damn that liar Tomlin. The next time we see him, he'll have a 3" growth on the end of his nose.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Relaxed

I still have aspirations that Frank the Tank will foot the bill at FB. He looked bad last year when he played but rookies don't always get it right off the bat. Lets hope he is ready to rock and roll this year.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:18 AM   #9
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

I still don't think we have full disclosure on the early offseason disposition of the coaching staff and all that transpired in the retention and dismissal of the staff as it was and currently is Or more simply put, I don't think various local writers that have no history of fabricating news simply decided to make up a bunch of lies about Arians continued employment with the Steelers. Imo something went down, but even if that's the case there's no reason for the Steelers to explain what that may have been and what the proccess was in their eventual decision to retain Arians. .. Transparency just isn't s.o.p. for billion dollar corporations.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:39 AM   #10
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Damn that liar Tomlin. The next time we see him, he'll have a 3" growth on the end of his nose.

It's much more impressive then the story starts with, " I heard from this guy I know".

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote