Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547
Default Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup

HFCS is prevalent thanks to our inane agricultural policies. We subsidize corn because it buys votes in the Midwest. Same reason we support corn-based ethanol even though it's inefficient and bad for the environment.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
Steelerstrength
Starter

Member Number: 3283

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
LOL...I'm glad that's all you took out of what I posted. If I'm incorrect on that fact though, I apologize. From nutrition classes and doctors advise I was always under the impression that you should avoid any kind of overly sugary (HFCS added or otherwise) foods or beverages after 1 or 2pm because of the amount of time your body takes to process sugars.

Also, not everybody agrees with the Princeton findings....not even the American Diabetic Association.

Gross Errors in Princeton Study
Printer-friendly version
Bookmark this page.
Email a FriendPDF version
Gross Errors in Princeton Animal Study on Obesity and High Fructose Corn Syrup
Research in Humans Discredits Princeton Study

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 22, 2010

(202) 331-1634

WASHINGTON, DC – A March 22, 2010 press release entitled “A sweet problem: Princeton researchers find that high-fructose corn syrup prompts considerably more weight gain” issued by Princeton University was based on a study that used grossly exaggerated intake levels in rats and incorrectly suggested that such results could have significant meaning for humans.

In the study “High –fructose corn syrup causes characteristics of obesity in rats: Increased body weight, body fat and triglyceride levels,”(1) the authors failed to put into perspective the excessive amount consumed by the rats in their experimental design. Translating the study’s reported rat intakes to human proportions, the calories gained from high fructose corn syrup would be equivalent to about 3000 kcal/day all from that single source. In comparison, adult humans consume about 2,000 calories per day from all dietary sources. Such intake levels for the study animals would be the equivalent of humans drinking a total of 20 cans of 12 ounce sodas per day - a highly unrealistic amount. Moreover, the researchers concluded that the rats gained more weight from high fructose corn syrup than they would have from sugar, yet the researchers had no proper basis for drawing this conclusion since they failed to provide sucrose controls for part of the study’s short-term experiments and no sucrose controls whatsoever were present in any of the long-term experiments.

“Consumers should not be misled by exaggerated studies that feed astronomical amounts of one ingredient to the study subjects, in this case rats. The medical community has long dismissed results from rat dietary studies as being inapplicable to human beings,” stated Audrae Erickson, president, Corn Refiners Association.

“Consumers should rest assured that high fructose corn syrup is safe. The American Medical Association concluded that high fructose corn syrup does not appear to contribute more to obesity than sugar. The American Dietetic Association stated that these two sweeteners are indistinguishable to the human body and are metabolized equivalently,” Erickson noted.

“This study unnecessarily confuses consumers about human metabolism of common sugars in the diet. A sugar is a sugar whether it comes from cane, corn, or beets. Both sugar and high fructose corn syrup are handled the same by the body. No metabolic effects have been found in studies that compare sugar and high fructose corn syrup consumption in humans,” concluded Erickson.

http://www.sweetsurprise.com/news-an...s-study-errors

So far, research has yielded conflicting results about the effects of high-fructose corn syrup. For example, various early studies showed an association between increased consumption of sweetened beverages (many of which contained high-fructose corn syrup) and obesity. But recent research — some of which is supported by the beverage industry — suggests that high-fructose corn syrup isn't intrinsically less healthy than other sweeteners, nor is it the root cause of obesity.

While research continues, moderation remains important. Many beverages and other processed foods made with high-fructose corn syrup and other sweeteners are high in calories and low in nutritional value. Regularly including these products in your diet has the potential to promote obesity — which, in turn, promotes conditions such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and coronary artery disease.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hig...-syrup/AN01588

Diabetes
Printer-friendly version
Bookmark this page.
Email a FriendPDF version
Is high fructose corn syrup known to cause diabetes?

No. Many parts of the world, including Australia, Mexico and Europe, have rising rates of obesity and diabetes despite having little or no high fructose corn syrup in their foods and beverages,12,13 which supports findings by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and the American Diabetes Association that the primary causes of diabetes are obesity, advancing age and heredity.

U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) data show that per capita consumption of high fructose corn syrup has been declining in recent years, yet the incidence of obesity and diabetes in the United States remains on the rise.17

http://www.sweetsurprise.com/myths-a...syrup/diabetes
Where to start. A release by the "Corn Refiners Association" is the source to rebutt the Princeton study? Sorry, but that's hilarious! The rats were fed the same precise caloric intake.

Also, the study that found no difference in metabolism of sucrose vs HFCS was a two-day study performed randomly on 30 normal weight women, for it's effect on triglycerides. This is no clinical trial.

The release by the Mayo Clinic makes one great point. "Regularly including these products in your diet has the potential to promote obesity — which, in turn, promotes conditions such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and coronary artery disease."

sweetsurprise.com is a The Corn Refiners Association website.

The last release concerns diabetes and the cause, obesity. Yes, obesity is increasing in the world, and can be directly contributed to many sources. (i.e. lack of exercise, less nutrient dense food, poor food choices etc.)

Thanks again for the information. I have yet to meet any colleague in the undustry who believes that HFCS and sugar are healthy in any way. Nor have I met anyone who believes that they metabolize the same. That's a first for me, but admittedly, I never read the press releases of the Corn Refiners Association.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #13
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerstrength View Post
Where to start. A release by the "Corn Refiners Association" is the source to rebutt the Princeton study? Sorry, but that's hilarious! The rats were fed the same precise caloric intake.

Also, the study that found no difference in metabolism of sucrose vs HFCS was a two-day study performed randomly on 30 normal weight women, for it's effect on triglycerides. This is no clinical trial.

The release by the Mayo Clinic makes one great point. "Regularly including these products in your diet has the potential to promote obesity — which, in turn, promotes conditions such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and coronary artery disease."

sweetsurprise.com is a The Corn Refiners Association website.

The last release concerns diabetes and the cause, obesity. Yes, obesity is increasing in the world, and can be directly contributed to many sources. (i.e. lack of exercise, less nutrient dense food, poor food choices etc.)

Thanks again for the information. I have yet to meet any colleague in the undustry who believes that HFCS and sugar are healthy in any way. Nor have I met anyone who believes that they metabolize the same. That's a first for me, but admittedly, I never read the press releases of the Corn Refiners Association.
Yes the articles are from the CRA...but there's a reason I didn't just post articles from their site. The Mayo Clinics findings basically say that there isn't enough concrete research done yet to determine if HFCS is any worse for you that sugar.

Also, which study are you referring to that was just a 2 day study on random women? The American Medical Associations study that claims that high fructose corn syrup does not appear to contribute more to obesity than sugar or the American Diabetes Associations study that said these two sweeteners are indistinguishable to the human body and are metabolized equivalently?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #14
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

2 of my favorite condiments are on this list...Miracle Whip and ketchup. Lovely.

At any rate, thanks for the info. Now that I'm back on my diet and exercise plan that I was able to lose 34 pounds, I know what foods to avoid. I'm not giving up Miracle Whip (because I can't stand real mayo) and ketchup though, nor am I going to give up meat and turn into this guy:

Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #15
steelax04
Head Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
It's obviously not always possible in today's world, but it should be clear to all of us by now: we should be cooking our own food from organic ingredients whenever possible. Alternately, we should not be cooking at all, but rather just eating raw fruits and vegetables.

I don't eat meat, so I'm not going to comment on the possibility of eating "healthy" as a carnivore... that's for each person to decide.
I'd be interested to see what a raw fruits and vegetables diet would look like from a nutrition and caloric intake perspective...
Old 03-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #16
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,479 Times in 3,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
I'm not giving up Miracle Whip (because I can't stand real mayo) and ketchup though, nor am I going to give up meat and turn into this guy:

mmmm.... hossenfeffer.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #17
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

What do I take away from this?

Fruits and veggies are good for you and it is important to watch your intake of both HFCS and refined sugars.

.....which of course offsets the frequent steak dinners.

(Sorry D, had to throw that in there. )

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #18
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Mexican Coke is the best stuff on the planet.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #19
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
HFCS is prevalent thanks to our inane agricultural policies. We subsidize corn because it buys votes in the Midwest. Same reason we support corn-based ethanol even though it's inefficient and bad for the environment.
Great point.

The farmers could be using the land, time and money to grow something more beneficial and healthy, but when the "sure" money is paid for corn... that's what they grow. At an excess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
Mexican Coke is the best stuff on the planet.
We're still talking about beverages, right?

Steelerstrength, I appreciate the effort here. There is no doubt that there are plenty of food processing additives and technologies that are suspect. (i.e. food colorings) Unfortunately, they are just catering to the instant gratification society we all are living in. There are millions of people to feed out there, and each one of those people has a dollar sign attached. They want their food, and they want it NOW... so make it snappy.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #20
Steel Mountain
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 11328

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelax04 View Post
I'd be interested to see what a raw fruits and vegetables diet would look like from a nutrition and caloric intake perspective...
That is easily done using a software program called Nutribase. Best on the market. Enter your food intake for a meal, a day, a week or a year, and it will give you values of approx. 180 nutrients. I have an older version that only values 160 nutrients, but as a nutritionist, I still find it invaluable.
Steel Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote