Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Tomlin expects Roethlisberger at offseason practices

Tomlin expects Roethlisberger at offseason practices
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_673005.html#
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, March 23, 2010

ORLANDO, Fla. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has been talking daily with Ben Roethlisberger and he said he expects the embattled quarterback to take part in offseason practices.

Tomlin did acknowledge this morning that he spoke with Roethlisberger not long after the latter was questioned by police on March 5 in Milledgeville, Ga., after a 20-year-old college student accused him of sexual assault.

"The sun wasn't up but it wouldn't technically be the middle of the night," Tomlin said of when Roethlisberger first called him.

Roethlisberger has been accused of sexual assault twice since last July, and he could be subject to discipline for violating the league's personal conduct policy.

Commissioner Roger Goodell said Monday at the NFL owners meetings that he plans to meet with Roethlisberger "at the appropriate time."

"He's well within his rights of meeting with him and I share his concerns," Tomlin said this morning at a breakfast for AFC head coaches.

Tomlin has met with Roethlisberger since the night of bar-hopping that could result in criminal charges. Authorities in Georgia are investigating the March 5 incident, and Roethlisberger's attorneys say he is innocent of any wrongdoing.

Roethlisberger has kept a low profile since the incident, which has turned into a national story. Tomlin said Roethlisberger has not taken part in the voluntary workouts that started on March 15 because established veterans aren't scheduled to report for them until Monday.

Tomlin said he doesn't know if Roethlisberger will resume working out at the Steelers practice facility next week. He did say that Roethlisberger is so competitive that it is "not in his DNA" to skip all of the Steelers' voluntary workouts and practices during the offseason.

Tomlin acknowledged that Roethlisberger's predicament is particularly embarrassing to the Steelers since they hold themselves to high standards both on and off the field.

"I think it's well known that we're very, very conscious of how we do business that we're very concerned about how we do business, perception, how we conduct ourselves, our standards of conduct," Tomlin said. "I think it's above and beyond that of our peers and we embrace that."

The specter of a suspension looms over Roethlisberger and the Steelers. But Tomlin, reiterating the stance Steelers president Art Rooney II took last week, said it is too early to consider contingency plans at quarterback.

"If we have to we will," Tomlin said, "but I don't think it's gotten to that point yet where we need to make those hard and fast decisions. I hope we don't make it to that."

Aside from Roethlisberger, third-year man Dennis Dixon is the only other quarterback on the Steelers' roster. The team is expected to re-sign 13th-year veteran Charlie Batch. Director of football operations Kevin Colbert said Sunday that the Steelers won't take a quarterback early in next month's draft.

Roethlisberger, who turned 28 at the beginning of March, has started since his rookie season in 2004. He has won a pair of Super Bowls and already holds a number of Steelers records.

But he has also shown a pattern of poor decision-making off the field, and Goodell said Monday that "we are concerned that Ben continues to put himself in this position."

When asked about what kind of player and person Roethlisberger is, Tomlin said "He's a ridiculous competitor, a good guy, a guy that wants to win, a guy that doesn't mind toting he burden that comes with being the burden of our football team. Really what you see is what you get from my perspective."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:39 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,173 Times in 1,349 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Tomlin expects Roethlisberger at offseason practices

Good for you Ben get to the workouts and get ready for the season.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

He should be there and participating when he is supposed to for sure. Maybe they wont have any women there and a backroom for him to have his friends shuttle them into. How can a man of his statue need his friends to do that anyways?.. I just think he thinks he is higher and mightier than anyone else... I hate to say that cuz I love what he has done for our Steelers, but the truth is the truth.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerdave1969 View Post
He should be there and participating when he is supposed to for sure. Maybe they wont have any women there and a backroom for him to have his friends shuttle them into. How can a man of his statue need his friends to do that anyways?.. I just think he thinks he is higher and mightier than anyone else... I hate to say that cuz I love what he has done for our Steelers, but the truth is the truth.
Ditto. Those are exactly my thoughts as well. He needs to grow up and change
for the better. Practice will keep him out of trouble (I Hope).
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Grow up, settle down and have a few little burgers. that'll do it. We need you around for the next 2-5 rings BEN!!!
Man-straighten up!
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,923 Times in 3,001 Posts

Quote:
"I think it's well known that we're very, very conscious of how we do business that we're very concerned about how we do business, perception, how we conduct ourselves, our standards of conduct," Tomlin said. "I think it's above and beyond that of our peers and we embrace that."
i am still suprised that tomlin has critics. this is one of his best traits.

i love how he doesnt shy away from elevating the steelers and his position above all others in the league. that takes balls.... BIG BALLS. *cue AC/DC*

tomlin wants to be the best. and ben says he wants to be the 1st qb to win 5 sb's. now is the time to put in the work and make that happen. catching AIDS or smashing his face on a windshield isnt the way to do that.

appearantly he quit riding the cycles. so maybe there is hope.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #7
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Ben should be at the off season practices. It also wouldn't hurt for him to finally grow up and make better decisions in life now!
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote