Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-24-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Rooney grudgingly votes for OT change

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_673092.html

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Rooney grudgingly votes for OT change

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, March 24, 2010

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The NFL took a significant step Tuesday toward avoiding a nightmare scenario: the Super Bowl ending the way the 2009 NFC Championship Game did.

Owners were overwhelmingly in favor of changing overtime for postseason games, and they voted 28-4 for a proposal that will do that.

The team that wins the coin toss has to score a touchdown to end the game. If it fails to reach the end zone, each team would be guaranteed at least one possession in the extra period.

The change only applies to postseason games. It comes two months after New Orleans beat Minnesota, 31-28, in the NFC title game. The Saints got the ball at the start of overtime and gained enough yards to kick a game-winning field goal.

Ironically, the Vikings, who never got the ball in overtime of the NFC title game, were one of only four teams to vote against changing overtime for the playoffs.

"This is a fairer way of doing things," Houston Texans owner Bob McNair said, "and it will be exciting for the fans."

Steelers president Art Rooney II had said he was opposed to the change in overtime because it didn't go far enough, but he voted for it.

Prior to the vote, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he was not in favor of changing overtime.

"I'm against structuring it differently in the playoffs than you would in the regular season. At the most critical time, the rules of the game are going to change?" Tomlin said. "In terms of having an opportunity to educate my players in regards to how things are going to play out, I'm uncomfortable with that and that's my opinion."

A solid backup plan

The signing of Larry Foote last week gives the Steelers insurance should starting inside linebacker James Farrior, who is 35 and entering his 14th NFL season, significantly slow down in 2010.

"No disputing his age," Tomlin said of Farrior. "I think that's why it was important that we went out and got a guy like Larry Foote."

Tomlin said he has not lost confidence in Farrior, who made the Pro Bowl in 2008 but didn't play at the same level a year ago. And Foote said that he re-signed with the Steelers to provide depth at linebacker, not challenge for a starting job.

Of Farrior, Tomlin said, "He continues to play at a high level in my opinion, but I'm not going to take it for granted as we push into August of 2010. That's just the law of the jungle, the nature of the NFL."

Tomlin didn't pursue good friend

Free safety Darren Sharper tied for the NFL lead in interceptions (nine) last season, and he played at a high level after signing a one-year contract with the New Orleans Saints.

Could Sharper have instead been a Steeler?

"No, we never even headed down that road in any realistic form or fashion," Tomlin said.

Their close friendship -- Tomlin helped recruit Sharper to William & Mary when they were in college -- is why the two never seriously considered reuniting in Pittsburgh.

Tomlin coached Sharper in 2006 when he served as the Minnesota Vikings' defensive coordinator.

"It probably was a little uncomfortable for both of us," Tomlin said.

Tomlin said he'll give Sharper, who is a free agent, advice but will not advocate the two teaming up again.

"I like to keep my friends and my business completely separated," he said.

Not a total no-show

Strong safety Troy Polamalu will spend much of the offseason working out in California.

Tomlin, however, said he expects Polamalu to take part in at least a couple of the Steelers' voluntary offseason practices, which start April 19.

Polamalu is healthy after separate injuries to his left knee limited him to five games last season, Tomlin said.

He did not need surgery to repair his knee, Tomlin said.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Hamer
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 448
Default Re: Rooney grudgingly votes for OT change

I agree with Tomlin, they should be playing the same game, with the same rules, in the playoffs that they play in the regular season.

But what I predict is that once the playoff overtime rules get changed, in a year or two they will change it in the regular season, too -- just like the NHL did when they added shootouts.
Hamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

i gurentee it will be voted into the regular season in may. all the owners want it and i belive may is the vote so its a done deal
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
i gurentee it will be voted into the regular season in may. all the owners want it and i belive may is the vote so its a done deal
I hope it's not voted cause it's another stupid pro-offense rule. It's completely idiotic to have different rules between the regular season and the playoffs but 2 wrongs don't make 1 right.
I'm all for the same OT rules we have in college football. If it's not possible, instead of this crap, we should stick to the sudden death rule we have today.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,227 Times in 2,679 Posts

fwiw- cowher was on the radio today and absolutely loves the rule change. colbert was on yesterday and loves it too.

i agree with tomlin and rooney that it should be consistant throughout the preseason to postseason.

the ravens and bengals hate the idea of practically guaranteeing one of the most clutch qb's in the game (ben) a possession, they were 2 of the 4 teams to vote against it.

if they are that scared of it, then i am all for it.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:31 AM   #6
XxKnightxX
Team Captain

Member Number: 832

The reason why I liike the new rule is that it would also change the strategy when OT starts. 99% of the time the team who wins the coin toss chooses to receive knowing they have to only score a FG to win it. Wouldnt some teams change their mind and instead of receiving they decide to kick. stop the team out,a nd then be able to do whatever the hell they want to win the game?

made by steelman16
XxKnightxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
The reason why I liike the new rule is that it would also change the strategy when OT starts. 99% of the time the team who wins the coin toss chooses to receive knowing they have to only score a FG to win it. Wouldn't some teams change their mind and instead of receiving they decide to kick. stop the team out,a nd then be able to do whatever the hell they want to win the game?
I still believe that the team who scores first in OT has the edge, regardless what it scores.
IMO, this rule is stupid, period and what's even more stupid is that it only applies during playoffs.
WTF?
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
7willBheaven
Starter

Member Number: 13312

I like they're changing the rule...and because if you stop the team and hold them to a FG you get a chance to match it or beat it is a step in the right direction. I still think each team should have 1 chance in OT no matter what....though like i said a step in the right direction...if makes your team's D step up and try to stop them from scoring a TD to give your team a chance...so I cant complain!
7willBheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #9
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456

Wow, these moron owners and that idiot Goodell are a bunch of shallow idiots. Brett Favre and Peyton Manning don't get to go out on the field in an overtime game and they just have to make a rule change. I guarantee you that if Travarius Jackson or Sage Rosenfels played in that game nothing would be said about it. Because it's the sports media's savior of the universe, one of the dumbest rules are now in place. What has happened to the NFL?
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
Kaeg
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5784

While I agree that the rules should be the same from regular season through the playoffs, there is one thing that's different in the playoffs now and no one seems to mind: The game can't end in a tie. Just a food-for-thought kind of thing.
I'm in favor of the change as far as for me, it's a step in the right direction, but I don't feel it's all the way there. I was never a big fan of sudden death.
Kaeg is offline   Reply With Quote