Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149
Default So Grades out a better Guard for the Steelers?

Pouncey or Iupati?
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
jonslow
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15823
Default Re: So Grades out a better Guard for the Steelers?

Iupati, hands down. Pouncey is getting way too much hype. Yes, he's a solid interior lineman, but that's as good as I think he is- solid. He doesn't excel in any particular area.

On the other hand, Iupati is a mauler. He excels in run-blocking and is a very capable pass blocker. He is a true NFL guard with all the potential in the world.

For anyone who disagrees, please, sit down and a watch a few hours of game film. I have, and I really think Iupati has the talent and physicality to be a premier guard in the NFL. Pouncey will end up at center sooner or later anyway.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
7willBheaven
Starter

Member Number: 13312

I've never watched either guy play...but from what I've learned about them in the off season/etc...i would say Iupati...plus i would think he'd have the edge because that is his natural position...where Pouncey has been playing C more.
7willBheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
jonslow
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15823

I wanted to add onto my earlier post with a little clarification-

I do like Pouncey, but in regards to the actual question, I think Iupati is the better guard and much better suited for the Steelers.

They are two very different athletes, and are both good at different things. Pouncey is a little better in pass blocking, but Iupati is head and shoulders above Pouncey in the running game. He has quicker feet than Pouncey and has a much bigger, more muscular build.

I think Iupati can bring some things to the table the Steelers have been missing lately. He has a mean streak and loves to get after it. He can really revitalize a weak running game we've seen in the last couple years. He would make a much bigger impact on the offense than would Pouncey next season IMO.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonslow View Post
I wanted to add onto my earlier post with a little clarification-

I do like Pouncey, but in regards to the actual question, I think Iupati is the better guard and much better suited for the Steelers.

They are two very different athletes, and are both good at different things. Pouncey is a little better in pass blocking, but Iupati is head and shoulders above Pouncey in the running game. He has quicker feet than Pouncey and has a much bigger, more muscular build.

I think Iupati can bring some things to the table the Steelers have been missing lately. He has a mean streak and loves to get after it. He can really revitalize a weak running game we've seen in the last couple years. He would make a much bigger impact on the offense than would Pouncey next season IMO.
agreed and hope we grab him. i also like pouncey but his arms are much shorter
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
jollyrob68
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15873

I like both but want Pouncey. He can play both Gaurd and Center and Center is our weakest spot on the Oline. Iupat I like but he hasn't played with his hand in the dirt and he holds A LOT! We already have that problem. I think Pouncey can step in from day 1 and be the center. Let Hartwig be the swing backup with Foster starting at guard.
jollyrob68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

I still think that #18 is way too early for an interior lineman to be selected. Iupati is the better guard, but is a longer term project than many think. He's big, powerful and raw. Didnt see a lot of great competition in college and struggled when he did see it in the Senior Bowl vs the likes of Dan Williams and Geno Atkins.

Sure Iupati looked good in drills the week of Senior Bowl practice(but not as an OT), which is an indication of his skill set, but when it all was to come together in the game, Bama OG Mike Johnson performed better.

I think Iupati is the better guard, I think he has the bigger upside, I think he will take a year or 2 to progress to starting. But chew on this...........in a combine interview on NFL network, Gerald McCoy of Oklahoma said the toughest O lineman he faced in college was Pouncey.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

i wouldnt mind taking pouncey either. we need a center so i wouldnt be upset. i think if they were both to play gaurd iupati would be the better of the 2 in the long run but pouncey will be a pro bowl center by his 2nd year. personally i would rather trade up for a left tackle
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
jollyrob68
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15873

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
i wouldnt mind taking pouncey either. we need a center so i wouldnt be upset. i think if they were both to play gaurd iupati would be the better of the 2 in the long run but pouncey will be a pro bowl center by his 2nd year. personally i would rather trade up for a left tackle
If we trade back and get an additional 2nd rounder i'd do it and hope Pouncey is still there. If he's not their will be quality players to pick from and we can get Jared Veldheer in the 2nd. Lets say Pouncey is gone but Jared Odrick,Taylor Mays, Mount Cody and Devin McCourtey or Kareem Jacksson are there its a win win for the Steelers. They now would have 2 2nd rounders and could pick up a CB(if not taken in rd 1, Jared Veldheer Left Tackle and A solid Guard or Nate Allen,Toby Gerhart etc.

They could take Mount Cody in 1st,CB & Brandon Spikes in the second.
jollyrob68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyrob68 View Post

They could take Mount Cody in 1st,CB & Brandon Spikes in the second.
An overweight NT that can only play 5 downs before getting winded and a LB that runs a 5.1 -40 yard dash.................great idea.