Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Pittsburgh Steelers Team Report

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Report
Posted 1d 8h ago
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...lers/notes.htm

As the Steelers' offensive coordinator, Bruce Arians has a Super Bowl ring and many, many critics. Some of those run the football team, and while they have not come down on Arians publicly, they have issued some marching orders.

President Art Rooney already has said he wants the team to run more consistently in 2010 than it did in 2009, and coach Mike Tomlin said this week he agrees with that assessment.

"It's a mentality," Tomlin said. "We've got to commit to doing it. Yes, ultimately when the ball's inside the white lines and we're playing football it's about execution. But it's also about planning, it's about preparation. It's a commitment, one that we're willing to continue to turn stones over to make sure that we're doing our very best to make sure we're great in those areas."

Arians stunned and upset fans and some in the organization alike when he arrogantly announced during the 2009 season that there was no fullback in his offense, never has been and never will be.

His tune may already have changed. Tomlin said there will be one on the roster "if it's available, particularly at this time of year when you have an expanded roster."

"I think you try to find as many guys with skills sets as you possibly can in an effort to put together a roster that's comprised of the best 53 men. So we're looking for guys that are not similar to guys that we have. Not only at that position but others. It's critical to having an improvement mentality."

Reminded what Arians said last season, Tomlin replied that, "When he made that comment, we didn't have the traditional fullback in the offense."

Of course, Arians said he has "never" had a fullback in his offense. It was he who orchestrated the departure of pure blocking fullback Dan Kreider in 2008 after reducing his use in 2007, Arians' first year as coordinator.

"If we run across one that's capable," Tomlin said as to whether they will use one in 2010. "Everything that we do offensively, defensively and special teams is geared toward accentuating the skill set of the people we have. If we don't have that guy we're not going to put a square peg in a round hole."

NOTES, QUOTES

Mike Tomlin believes his team is better today than it was at the end of the season. Of course, the cloud that continues to hang over quarterback Ben Roethlisberger could burst and change the opinion of Pittsburgh's coach suddenly and dramatically.

Roethlisberger still has not been charged with anything as police in Georgia continue to investigate a 20-year-old woman's claims that he sexually assaulted her in the early hours of March 5. Until something happens, Tomlin said he will proceed normally and even announced that his quarterback is due to show up with the rest of the veteran starters Monday to begin offseason training.

Dennis Dixon, entering his third season, is the only other quarterback on the roster, although the Steelers hope to re-sign UFA Charlie Batch soon.

"You know, we don't necessarily have a backup plan at this time," Tomlin said in regards to Roethlisberger's tenuous situation. "It's early in this process and we'll let the process run its course and kind of make decisions from there. I hope we don't come to that. We'll see."

Tomlin said from what he can see, the other three teams in the AFC North Division have improved themselves since the end of the season, so the Steelers are just trying to keep pace after missing the playoffs at 9-7 in 2009. They signed a flurry of free agents a few weeks ago and none of their own has signed elsewhere yet.

"I think part of us getting better and putting ourselves (in position) to be a championship-caliber team for 2010 is strengthening ourselves, creating a more competitive environment, having better quality depth," Tomlin said. "I think with the moves that we've made it's been an improvement in those areas. I think that is critical to us being one of those elite football teams."

The Steelers signed two wide receivers, Antwaan Randle El and Arnaz Battle, linebacker Larry Foote and safeties Ryan Clark and Will Allen, among others.

Because of those signings, the Steelers won't have to draft for need. They can take the best players on the board. The only thing that might alter that approach is the fate of Roethlisberger. Kevin Colbert insisted again this week that they still will not consider drafting a quarterback high. Tomlin, on the other hand, insisted he indeed attended Florida's pro workout day specifically to watch Tim Tebow. However, he has been known to do such things to throw others off and even acknowledged that some of the 30 prospects they are permitted to have at their facility before the draft will be invited purely as a subterfuge.

"I'm encouraged," Tomlin said of his roster. "I kind of like what we've done thus far in the offseason. The things that tripped us up in '09 we're beginning to address. I think we're adding high quality depth, NFL experience, starter capable depth. It creates an atmosphere of competition and I think that's ultimately what we need to be a world championship caliber team. ... We're going to be very thoughtful about how we try to approach this thing and really I feel comfortable about where we are. Of course, we've got a long way to go with the rest of offseason."

Tomlin, who had been quiet for the most part on Ben Roethlisberger's two legal ordeals, finally addressed the potential problem while at the NFL meetings in Orlando. After commissioner Roger Goodell noted that Roethlisberger keeps putting himself in such positions, Tomlin concurred.

"He's well within his rights, of course, in terms of meeting with him," Tomlin said. "I share his concerns."

For the record, Roethlisberger has a contract with the Steelers through 2015 that still has more than $66 million due in salary to him over the next six seasons, including a salary in 2010 of $8,050,000.

The Steelers picked up three compensatory picks in the April 22-24 NFL draft two in the fifth round and one in the seventh. That gives them 10 overall picks. Their additional picks are the Nos. 164, 166 and 242 overall.

WR Antwaan Randle El could be used in ways the Steelers used him previously, including as a punt returner.

"I'm open to it developing," Tomlin said. "I'm not going to assume he's the same guy he was when he left here. Four years is a long time in football terms but we know what he's capable of."

QUOTE TO NOTE: "If we have to we will but I don't think it's gotten to that point yet where we need to kind of make those hard and fast decisions." - Steelers coach Mike Tomlin on the chance the team might add a veteran quarterback in light of allegations against Ben Roethlisberger in Georgia.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

The Steelers confirmed that when they begin visits by college prospects Monday, one on the list is Oregon running back LeGarrette Blount. He was suspended for much of last season for sucker-punching an opponent who had taunted him after Boise State upset the Ducks in the season opener.

TEAM NEEDS

1. Cornerback: Even though the Steelers drafted corners in the third and fifth rounds last season, they got woeful play at the position and could lose starter and RFA William Gay and veteran UFA Deshea Townsend.

2. Defensive line: Although they re-signed NT Casey Hampton and drafted DE on first round last season, the Steelers three starters are all in their 30s and they need to groom someone to take over for Hampton and one DE over the next two years.

3. Linebacker: The Steelers added some depth with the signing of ILB Larry Foote but James Farrior will be 35 this season and James Harrison 32.

MEDICAL WATCH: Coach Mike Tomlin said that all players who were injured or had surgery are coming along nicely. However, he said he will reduce the amount of workouts/practice time for 30-something veterans such as Aaron Smith (rotator cuff surgery) and Justin Hartwig (shoulder cleanup surgery) this spring. Safety Troy Polamalu is working out in California and has recovered from two knee injuries last season that did not require surgery. "I'm comfortable with the physical health of all those men," Tomlin said. As for LB Larry Foote, who did not play in Detroit's final two games because, one source said, he had a lisfranc foot injury: "I feel great about it. He passed our physical so I was comfortable with it."

FRANCHISE PLAYER: PK Jeff Reed (tendered at $2.814M).

TRANSITION PLAYER: None.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

QB Charlie Batch is a reliable, when healthy, backup and that is the issue because he missed all of 2008 and ended 2009 with a broken wrist. He wants to return.

LB Rocky Boiman was a late edition to try to save their drowning special teams. He's not likely to return.

SS Tyrone Carter won't get a contract from the Steelers again unless he finds nothing from anywhere else.

DE Nick Eason, if he's willing to return at a minimum salary, could re-sign.

WR Joey Galloway was a late signing after Limas Sweed was placed on injured reserve. He did not dress for either game and he is not likely to be invited back.

DE Travis Kirschke, although he turns 36 this year, has been dependable and could re-sign if he does not go elsewhere, especially if they get nothing at the position in the draft.

RB Willie Parker has seen his last days in Pittsburgh. They would love to have him back as a backup to Rashard Mendenhall but he wants more playing time than that.

CB Deshea Townsend thinks he can still start in the league and the Steelers have no plans for him to do that. If he finds nothing of his liking in free agency, they will offer him a contract to return.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS (not tendered offers)

RB Carey Davis (not tendered as RFA)..

OG Darnell Stapleton (not tendered as RFA) was their starting right guard until an injury put him on injured reserve.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS (*indicates restricted because of uncapped year)

*OT Willie Colon (tendered at $2.521M with first-round pick as compensation) entering third season as starter at right tackle.

CB William Gay (tendered at $1.101M with fifth-round pick as compensation) had a disappointing first season as a starter but not bad enough that they want to lose him.

P Daniel Sepulveda (tendered at $1.101M with fourth-round pick as compensation) was middle of the road and not likely to receive a high tender. He was drafted in the fourth round.

TE Matt Spaeth (tendered at $1.101M with fifth-round pick as compensation) is No. 2 behind Heath Miller. He plays a lot but rarely is used as a target and he's not a good blocker.

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS: None.

PLAYERS RE-SIGNED

LB Patrick Bailey: ERFA; terms unknown.

FS Ryan Clark: UFA; $14M/4 yrs, $3M SB.

NT Casey Hampton: Potential UFA; $21.3M/3 yrs, $11M guaranteed/$6.5M SB.

PLAYERS ACQUIRED

S Will Allen: UFA Buccaneers; $4.4M/3 yrs, $950,000 SB.

WR Arnaz Battle: UFA 49ers; $3.975/3 yrs, $975,000 SB.

LB Derrick Doggett: CFL FA; terms unknown.

LB Larry Foote: UFA Lions; $9.3M/3 yrs, $1.8M SB.

WR Antwaan Randle El: FA Redskins; $7M/3 yrs, $900,000 SB.

OT Jonathan Scott: Not tendered as RFA by Bills; $545,000/1 yr.

PLAYERS LOST: None.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,131 Times in 576 Posts
Default Re: Pittsburgh Steelers Team Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Pittsburgh Steelers Team Report
Posted 1d 8h ago
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...lers/notes.htm

As the Steelers' offensive coordinator, Bruce Arians has a Super Bowl ring and many, many critics. Some of those run the football team, and while they have not come down on Arians publicly, they have issued some marching orders.

President Art Rooney already has said he wants the team to run more consistently in 2010 than it did in 2009, and coach Mike Tomlin said this week he agrees with that assessment.

"It's a mentality," Tomlin said. "We've got to commit to doing it. Yes, ultimately when the ball's inside the white lines and we're playing football it's about execution. But it's also about planning, it's about preparation. It's a commitment, one that we're willing to continue to turn stones over to make sure that we're doing our very best to make sure we're great in those areas."

Arians stunned and upset fans and some in the organization alike when he arrogantly announced during the 2009 season that there was no fullback in his offense, never has been and never will be.

His tune may already have changed. Tomlin said there will be one on the roster "if it's available, particularly at this time of year when you have an expanded roster."

"I think you try to find as many guys with skills sets as you possibly can in an effort to put together a roster that's comprised of the best 53 men. So we're looking for guys that are not similar to guys that we have. Not only at that position but others. It's critical to having an improvement mentality."

Reminded what Arians said last season, Tomlin replied that, "When he made that comment, we didn't have the traditional fullback in the offense."

Of course, Arians said he has "never" had a fullback in his offense. It was he who orchestrated the departure of pure blocking fullback Dan Kreider in 2008 after reducing his use in 2007, Arians' first year as coordinator.

"If we run across one that's capable," Tomlin said as to whether they will use one in 2010. "Everything that we do offensively, defensively and special teams is geared toward accentuating the skill set of the people we have. If we don't have that guy we're not going to put a square peg in a round hole."

NOTES, QUOTES

Mike Tomlin believes his team is better today than it was at the end of the season. Of course, the cloud that continues to hang over quarterback Ben Roethlisberger could burst and change the opinion of Pittsburgh's coach suddenly and dramatically.

Roethlisberger still has not been charged with anything as police in Georgia continue to investigate a 20-year-old woman's claims that he sexually assaulted her in the early hours of March 5. Until something happens, Tomlin said he will proceed normally and even announced that his quarterback is due to show up with the rest of the veteran starters Monday to begin offseason training.

Dennis Dixon, entering his third season, is the only other quarterback on the roster, although the Steelers hope to re-sign UFA Charlie Batch soon.

"You know, we don't necessarily have a backup plan at this time," Tomlin said in regards to Roethlisberger's tenuous situation. "It's early in this process and we'll let the process run its course and kind of make decisions from there. I hope we don't come to that. We'll see."

Tomlin said from what he can see, the other three teams in the AFC North Division have improved themselves since the end of the season, so the Steelers are just trying to keep pace after missing the playoffs at 9-7 in 2009. They signed a flurry of free agents a few weeks ago and none of their own has signed elsewhere yet.

"I think part of us getting better and putting ourselves (in position) to be a championship-caliber team for 2010 is strengthening ourselves, creating a more competitive environment, having better quality depth," Tomlin said. "I think with the moves that we've made it's been an improvement in those areas. I think that is critical to us being one of those elite football teams."

The Steelers signed two wide receivers, Antwaan Randle El and Arnaz Battle, linebacker Larry Foote and safeties Ryan Clark and Will Allen, among others.

Because of those signings, the Steelers won't have to draft for need. They can take the best players on the board. The only thing that might alter that approach is the fate of Roethlisberger. Kevin Colbert insisted again this week that they still will not consider drafting a quarterback high. Tomlin, on the other hand, insisted he indeed attended Florida's pro workout day specifically to watch Tim Tebow. However, he has been known to do such things to throw others off and even acknowledged that some of the 30 prospects they are permitted to have at their facility before the draft will be invited purely as a subterfuge.

"I'm encouraged," Tomlin said of his roster. "I kind of like what we've done thus far in the offseason. The things that tripped us up in '09 we're beginning to address. I think we're adding high quality depth, NFL experience, starter capable depth. It creates an atmosphere of competition and I think that's ultimately what we need to be a world championship caliber team. ... We're going to be very thoughtful about how we try to approach this thing and really I feel comfortable about where we are. Of course, we've got a long way to go with the rest of offseason."

Tomlin, who had been quiet for the most part on Ben Roethlisberger's two legal ordeals, finally addressed the potential problem while at the NFL meetings in Orlando. After commissioner Roger Goodell noted that Roethlisberger keeps putting himself in such positions, Tomlin concurred.

"He's well within his rights, of course, in terms of meeting with him," Tomlin said. "I share his concerns."

For the record, Roethlisberger has a contract with the Steelers through 2015 that still has more than $66 million due in salary to him over the next six seasons, including a salary in 2010 of $8,050,000.

The Steelers picked up three compensatory picks in the April 22-24 NFL draft two in the fifth round and one in the seventh. That gives them 10 overall picks. Their additional picks are the Nos. 164, 166 and 242 overall.

WR Antwaan Randle El could be used in ways the Steelers used him previously, including as a punt returner.

"I'm open to it developing," Tomlin said. "I'm not going to assume he's the same guy he was when he left here. Four years is a long time in football terms but we know what he's capable of."

QUOTE TO NOTE: "If we have to we will but I don't think it's gotten to that point yet where we need to kind of make those hard and fast decisions." - Steelers coach Mike Tomlin on the chance the team might add a veteran quarterback in light of allegations against Ben Roethlisberger in Georgia.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

The Steelers confirmed that when they begin visits by college prospects Monday, one on the list is Oregon running back LeGarrette Blount. He was suspended for much of last season for sucker-punching an opponent who had taunted him after Boise State upset the Ducks in the season opener.

TEAM NEEDS

1. Cornerback: Even though the Steelers drafted corners in the third and fifth rounds last season, they got woeful play at the position and could lose starter and RFA William Gay and veteran UFA Deshea Townsend.

2. Defensive line: Although they re-signed NT Casey Hampton and drafted DE on first round last season, the Steelers three starters are all in their 30s and they need to groom someone to take over for Hampton and one DE over the next two years.

3. Linebacker: The Steelers added some depth with the signing of ILB Larry Foote but James Farrior will be 35 this season and James Harrison 32.

MEDICAL WATCH: Coach Mike Tomlin said that all players who were injured or had surgery are coming along nicely. However, he said he will reduce the amount of workouts/practice time for 30-something veterans such as Aaron Smith (rotator cuff surgery) and Justin Hartwig (shoulder cleanup surgery) this spring. Safety Troy Polamalu is working out in California and has recovered from two knee injuries last season that did not require surgery. "I'm comfortable with the physical health of all those men," Tomlin said. As for LB Larry Foote, who did not play in Detroit's final two games because, one source said, he had a lisfranc foot injury: "I feel great about it. He passed our physical so I was comfortable with it."

FRANCHISE PLAYER: PK Jeff Reed (tendered at $2.814M).

TRANSITION PLAYER: None.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

QB Charlie Batch is a reliable, when healthy, backup and that is the issue because he missed all of 2008 and ended 2009 with a broken wrist. He wants to return.

LB Rocky Boiman was a late edition to try to save their drowning special teams. He's not likely to return.

SS Tyrone Carter won't get a contract from the Steelers again unless he finds nothing from anywhere else.

DE Nick Eason, if he's willing to return at a minimum salary, could re-sign.

WR Joey Galloway was a late signing after Limas Sweed was placed on injured reserve. He did not dress for either game and he is not likely to be invited back.

DE Travis Kirschke, although he turns 36 this year, has been dependable and could re-sign if he does not go elsewhere, especially if they get nothing at the position in the draft.

RB Willie Parker has seen his last days in Pittsburgh. They would love to have him back as a backup to Rashard Mendenhall but he wants more playing time than that.

CB Deshea Townsend thinks he can still start in the league and the Steelers have no plans for him to do that. If he finds nothing of his liking in free agency, they will offer him a contract to return.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS (not tendered offers)

RB Carey Davis (not tendered as RFA)..

OG Darnell Stapleton (not tendered as RFA) was their starting right guard until an injury put him on injured reserve.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS (*indicates restricted because of uncapped year)

*OT Willie Colon (tendered at $2.521M with first-round pick as compensation) entering third season as starter at right tackle.

CB William Gay (tendered at $1.101M with fifth-round pick as compensation) had a disappointing first season as a starter but not bad enough that they want to lose him.

P Daniel Sepulveda (tendered at $1.101M with fourth-round pick as compensation) was middle of the road and not likely to receive a high tender. He was drafted in the fourth round.

TE Matt Spaeth (tendered at $1.101M with fifth-round pick as compensation) is No. 2 behind Heath Miller. He plays a lot but rarely is used as a target and he's not a good blocker.

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS: None.

PLAYERS RE-SIGNED

LB Patrick Bailey: ERFA; terms unknown.

FS Ryan Clark: UFA; $14M/4 yrs, $3M SB.

NT Casey Hampton: Potential UFA; $21.3M/3 yrs, $11M guaranteed/$6.5M SB.

PLAYERS ACQUIRED

S Will Allen: UFA Buccaneers; $4.4M/3 yrs, $950,000 SB.

WR Arnaz Battle: UFA 49ers; $3.975/3 yrs, $975,000 SB.

LB Derrick Doggett: CFL FA; terms unknown.

LB Larry Foote: UFA Lions; $9.3M/3 yrs, $1.8M SB.

WR Antwaan Randle El: FA Redskins; $7M/3 yrs, $900,000 SB.

OT Jonathan Scott: Not tendered as RFA by Bills; $545,000/1 yr.

PLAYERS LOST: None.
I do not think I have ever seen that for a Steelers off season. WOW. I'm going to frame this.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

Wow, that is amazing. I think that streak will end soon though, with one of our lesser known FA's like Townshend or Eason.
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:57 AM   #4
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

Sometimes you Gain by Losing...
Old 03-28-2010, 06:17 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287