Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 03-29-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Pittsburgh Steelers draft digest: Quarterback Dan LeFevour looked at by team scouts

Pittsburgh Steelers draft digest: Quarterback Dan LeFevour looked at by team scouts
March 29, 5:44 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...by-team-scouts

MOUNT PLEASANT, MI. - As the Steelers begin their visits with potential draft picks this week, here's a player to keep in mind.

Former Central Michigan record setting quarterback Dan LeFevour. Although he hasn't been scheduled for a visit, a source with the MAC Conference told Examiner.com that Steelers reps at his recent pro day came away impressed with what they saw.

Like current Steeler Ben Roethlisberger and former Steeler Byron Leftwich, Lefevour hails from a Mid American Conference school but has all the tools of both the latter to play and succeed at the next level.

LeFevour, who is 6-foot-2, 229 pounds ended his CMU career with 15,853 total yards (12,905 passing) and 150 touchdowns (102 passing, 47 rushing and one receiving). He is also very smart and tossed just 36 picks during his career.

Like many college quarterbacks today though, he took the majority of snaps out of the shotgun formation.

"It's different when you put the pads on and go 11 on 11," LeFevour admitted after his workout. "It wasn't as smooth as if I would be in the gun, but its still a work in progress and I don't mind it."

Like Florida quarterback Tom Tebow, who many are debating whether can succeed at the NFL, LeFevour has been working on his mechanics with former NFL quarterback Zeke Bratkowski to ready himself for the next level.

During his workout, LeFevour who ran an impressive 4.66 at the NFL Combine, tossed 62 balls, completing 55 of them.

"I think the scouts wanted to see how I flowed under center and I even took some one-handed snaps just to show that I have been working hard on that,” LeFevour said. “I think they just wanted to see that I could make all of the throws quarterbacks need to make. I was glad that I could show them what I have been working on and how I have progressed.

"Obviously, I always want to do better. "I wish I could have put a little more on my ball, and been little more accurate.'

The Steelers brass just re-signed Charlie Batch and also have Dennis Dixon, who was promising last year under center in his lone start. They have also said despite the ongoing Roethlisberger saga, they have not tweaked plans for the draft to take a QB in the early rounds.

But LeFevour could be available in the mid rounds as many draft sites have him going as late as the fourth and fifth round. He also has put up big numbers, albeit in a football conference that doesn't get the Press of a Big East or SEC.

NFL DRAFT DOG had this to say about LeFevour which are lofty words considering what Roethlisberger did while at Miami.

"LeFevour is going to shoot up the draft boards around the league. When the draft smoke clears, I expect to see him in the 2nd round rather than the 4th or 5th like other draft forecasts project. The opinions vary widely about his pro potential. One scout said he is the best QB to come out of the MAC in the last 10 years. Given the success that MAC conference QBs have had, that is a big statement. "

LeFevour has said that Carolina is the only team as of yet to schedule a private workout, but Charlie Weiss, who was on hand at his workout and the Kansas City Chiefs are apparently very interested in him along with Seattle, and the Browns. are also rumored to be in the mix as Mike Holmgren is intrigued according to sources.

Asked about his chances of going high in the draft, LeFevour said he doesn't pay much attention to that.

"I try not to," LeFevour said. "None of those sites have draft picks. And like rapper Public Enemy says 'Don't Believe the Hype.'"
Click here to find out more!
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119
Default Re: Pittsburgh Steelers draft digest: Quarterback Dan LeFevour looked at by team scou

I actually think LeFevour is a solid prospect but with the signing of Batch and we have Dixon on the roster I don't know if we have the room for him. I would still like to see us draft him for competition if we could get him in the 4th rd or later.
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019
Default Re: Pittsburgh Steelers draft digest: Quarterback Dan LeFevour looked at by team scou

Good quarterback... I remember he made me lose money with that game winning drive against Michigan State last season.. grrrr
Old 03-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulldog24 View Post
I actually think LeFevour is a solid prospect but with the signing of Batch and we have Dixon on the roster I don't know if we have the room for him. I would still like to see us draft him for competition if we could get him in the 4th rd or later.
I actually like Northwestern QB Mike Kafka better and I think (hope) he would be there at round 6.

Quote:
03/18/10 - PRO DAY RESULTS: He may not be anywhere near the most famous or celebrated quarterbacks in this year’s draft, but Mike Kafka sure did astound the scouts from 25 teams in attendance at Northwestern’s pro day on Thursday. Among those on hand were Bengals QB coach Ken Zampese and Cardinals QB coach Chris Miller. The senior signal caller followed up on his sensational NFL Scouting Combine performance, in which he was among the top quarterbacks in the vertical jump, broad jump, three-cone drill, and 60-yard shuttle, with a tremendous throwing session indoors on FieldTurf. Kafka passed to his former Wildcats receivers, Zeke Markshausen and Andrew Brewer, and according to one scout, missed only one throw the entire workout. – Gil Brandt, NFL.com
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456

They need to visit with some defensive linemen & defensive backs. This was a waste of time
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
I actually like Northwestern QB Mike Kafka better and I think (hope) he would be there at round 6.
I agree on this LLT! I thought he played well in his bowl game and has good acuracy on his throws IMHO.
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
cobra
Water Boy

Member Number: 16029

We signed Batch again? grrr
cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #8
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

When Ben R signed his 10 year contract I told all that would listen to me that he Wouldnt Survive all those 10 years, but I never thought that it would be over being or acting like he was a 10th grader in Midgetville Highschool. A man, or so called man with his stature and $$$$ I honestly dont see how he cant just pick up a girl on his own without having his friends go out and recruit them in by offering to buy them beers. I love Ben and what he has brought our Beloved Steelers Org. but its time to grow up pal.. That being said.. I love what I saw from Dennis Dixon last year -vs- a pretty darn good Deffense IN Baltimore.. on the Road in Baltimore.. He took that team to Overtime and the team had every opportunity to win that game.. I know that he threw an INT that pretty much lost the game for us there, but the young man showed enough for me to have confidence in him and his abilities. Just watch some of his College Highlights before he got hurt.. the guy has the tools to win in the NFL and I'm just glad he's on our side if needed. Oh Yeah... he found out on Friday Before the game that he would be the starter -vs- That Ravens Team... 2 days to be ready to face that defense on the road.. pretty impressive in my opinion.