Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 03-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,035 Posts
Default An Explanation For The Idea Of Heaven ?

The most important question we have... LINK: http://www.newsweek.com/id/235462

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,173 Times in 463 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: An Explanation For The Idea Of Heaven ?

interesting article i have never believed in heaven or hell .I think when your done, your done.
vasteeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:17 AM   #3
Matty™
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16027

interesting article, makes sense and the tunnel sensation I have always thought is simply your sight failing one final time and not some imaginary pathway into heaven (or hell for you naughty people).

As said above I think once you're done, you're done there is no afterlife or heaven & hell. I thought I would believe in it as I love reading up on the Egyptians whose race is one that believed in afterlife more strongly than most any other civilisation, they went to great measures to make sure they were cattered for in the afterlife. Even workers and those not so lucky in life (like the Pharoahs) would spend the moments away from the enduring labour of work on their own burial chambers, creating a world fit for the next life.

I do not pity them or even think they're wrong to have done that, that is what they believe I just don't which is why I suppose I find them such an intriguing civilisation to read up on.

When you see that tunnel, basically you're thoroughly ****ed, it's you final chance to say goodbye as once that tunnel gets smaller and smaller and thus turns into darkness you're gone, not even purgatory will meet your gaze as you can gaze no more.

Job done, hope you lived your life to the fullest, RIP.

Matty™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty™ View Post
interesting article, makes sense and the tunnel sensation I have always thought is simply your sight failing one final time and not some imaginary pathway into heaven (or hell for you naughty people).

As said above I think once you're done, you're done there is no afterlife or heaven & hell. I thought I would believe in it as I love reading up on the Egyptians whose race is one that believed in afterlife more strongly than most any other civilisation, they went to great measures to make sure they were cattered for in the afterlife. Even workers and those not so lucky in life (like the Pharoahs) would spend the moments away from the enduring labour of work on their own burial chambers, creating a world fit for the next life.

I do not pity them or even think they're wrong to have done that, that is what they believe I just don't which is why I suppose I find them such an intriguing civilisation to read up on.

When you see that tunnel, basically you're thoroughly ****ed, it's you final chance to say goodbye as once that tunnel gets smaller and smaller and thus turns into darkness you're gone, not even purgatory will meet your gaze as you can gaze no more.

Job done, hope you lived your life to the fullest, RIP.

A couple of somewhat logical arguments 'for' an afterlife are:
1. If we can exist here, on earth in our current lives as we know them, why can't there be 'another' existence ? Another life form we 'transfer' into... because after all, since we live and breathe now, that proves that "existence is possible". Now,
2. A fundamental law of physics is: matter or energy (the very 2 things that give us life here on earth) cannot be created (come from nothingness) or destroyed (made into nothingness) only transferred into another form. In other words, matter or energy can never be created... and can never be destroyed... so therefore 'life' must go on because the two things that give us life (matter and energy) do... it just consistently changes form... according to physics.
Those two ideas are the first steps in the research process to provide a proof for "heaven" ( if you will ). But only the first steps... a full complete proof, of course, has not been found yet...

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,173 Times in 463 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

inever understood the "energy can not be destroyed" theory
i think if something were to die the energy goes with ii would think that our energy comes from our brain
kill the brain kill the energy
vasteeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
Matty™
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
A couple of somewhat logical arguments 'for' an afterlife are:
1. If we can exist here, on earth in our current lives as we know them, why can't there be 'another' existence ? Another life form we 'transfer' into... because after all, since we live and breathe now, that proves that "existence is possible". Now,
2. A fundamental law of physics is: matter or energy (the very 2 things that give us life here on earth) cannot be created (come from nothingness) or destroyed (made into nothingness) only transferred into another form. In other words, matter or energy can never be created... and can never be destroyed... so therefore 'life' must go on because the two things that give us life (matter and energy) do... it just consistently changes form... according to physics.
Those two ideas are the first steps in the research process to provide a proof for "heaven" ( if you will ). But only the first steps... a full complete proof, of course, has not been found yet...
I understand the fact that everyone has matter, hence why I do find it strange that upon death we lose 21 grams of weight, not in terms of body mass leaving us through water loss, air loss, just magically 21 grams dissapears which I think is startling.

Despite this I still believe that our energy simply floats into the atmosphere and doesn't transfer or form into something else in it's afterlife. Yes existence is possible, but highly doubtful in my eyes, one existence is given to us no more.

I do find both arguments very interesting and love reading up on some scientific studies such as the body losing 21 grams in weight at the point of death in a vacuum.

Even with hard scientific evidence I doubt I'll ever believe in an afterlife or a heaven sadly.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,269 Times in 2,306 Posts

Lets leave it to the pro's.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
Matty™
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Lets leave it to the pro's.

nah Sam and Dean are the mean sons of a gun who can find any damn ghost
Old 04-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I'm not really sure why that article was written. The experts readily admitted that all they had was guess work. They were putting forth educated guess on what happens, based on the foundational assumption that there is no afterlife.

I am happy they were honest about it... but can see absolutely no reason for the article itself.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I think this is actually more simple than we've built it out to be over the last 10,000 years.

If you die and believe there is absolutely NOTHING awaiting you, well, that's just it. That sucks!

Humans have incredible imaginations. Not only have those imaginations created spectacular works of fiction, but they've also spawned huge leaps in science by questioning and observing and experimenting. It's no special extra leap at all to put tab A in slot A and reasonably hypothesize that humans have, over great periods of time, invented something bigger and better awaiting us other than a black and empty void.

As Preach likes to say, it's the ultimate metanarrative....the grandest story about a story ever told, ingrained into our collective thinking over the accumulated millennium....and it's certainly better than believing in than the boring and awful (and most probably real) vast emptiness of eternal nothingness that ultimately awaits us when we shuffle off this mortal coil.