Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338
Default Steelers Drafting A WR High?

Santonio Holmes
Since 2006, Holmes has been charged with marijuana possession in Pittsburgh, domestic violence in Ohio and disorderly conduct in Florida. The marijuana and domestic violence charges were dropped. The disorderly conduct charge was dropped in exchange for a $250 donation to a police officers trust fund.

Now Holmes has had 4 ordeals since being drafted by the Steelers. I think that we have a great player in Mike Wallace and we still have Hines Ward, but his time in the league is coming to a close. I am thinking with all the trouble that Holmes has been in and the fact that he will be a Free Agent next season, I think the Steelers need to get some help at WR. Sweed definitely Isnt the answer and Randel El has already proven that he is Not a No.1 WR and never was. I think its time for the Steelers to get these players respecting the Black n Gold again and living up to the standards that the Steelers org expects. Come on Tomlin.. wake up
Old 03-30-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172
Default Re: Steelers Drafting A WR High?

We have to many pressing needs and NO charges where filed against tone again NO charges filed against tone! NO way we draft a WR high. If we do tone has been sharing his stash with colbert & tomlin. I really think they will get tone & lamarr a extension VERY soon (Just a gut feeling).

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Nope, sure didn't see this coming....
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,226 Times in 2,678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Nope, sure didn't see this coming....
what?

steelerfans who enjoy discussing steelers football from a capologists point of view? yeah, they are SO lame.

i know there is no cap this season, but the steelers are operating as if there were (of course they have the liberties to push the boundries a bit).

but what if there is the expected labor agreement and cap next year?

you care to step out on a limb and suggest how we fit holmes in?

i would like to stick my head in the sand and think the latest accusations would lower his market value. but they wont.

woodley, wallace, colon, will all need to be addressed. not to mention our football kickers.

if you dont think the prospects of losing woodley or holmes isnt a legitimate concern, then you havent been paying attention.

there was a time when the steelers had to decide between keeping faneca, troy, and ben. one had to go.

and whether anyone believes it or not, sweed and wallace were drafted to make either ward or holmes expendable.

this is a business afterall.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
what?

steelerfans who enjoy discussing steelers football from a capologists point of view? yeah, they are SO lame.

i know there is no cap this season, but the steelers are operating as if there were (of course they have the liberties to push the boundries a bit).

but what if there is the expected labor agreement and cap next year?

you care to step out on a limb and suggest how we fit holmes in?

i would like to stick my head in the sand and think the latest accusations would lower his market value. but they wont.

woodley, wallace, colon, will all need to be addressed. not to mention our football kickers.

if you dont think the prospects of losing woodley or holmes isnt a legitimate concern, then you havent been paying attention.

there was a time when the steelers had to decide between keeping faneca, troy, and ben. one had to go.

and whether anyone believes it or not, sweed and wallace were drafted to make either ward or holmes expendable.

this is a business afterall.
Was the cap and how Holmes will/won't fit under it even mentioned in the OP? I must've missed it. What I did derive was that we apparently need to draft a WR high ASAP because Holmes is too much of a "headache" and brings too much "shame" to the organization as far as his personal dealings outside of football are concerned to even bother to try to keep around. That's what I was addressing - the usual "so-and-so was accused of such-and-such an offense, so he's damaged goods and needs to go" mentality.

Last edited by fansince'76; 03-30-2010 at 11:47 PM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:56 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,303 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I can see us taking one but it won't be early in the draft. Maybe from round 4 and up. I say we sign Holmes back if he don't want break the bank money.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
Steely McSmash
Team Captain

Member Number: 8814

I could see this as early as the third round. If they see compelling value in the 2nd (Golden Tate maybe), I wouldn't bet against them pulling the trigger.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

If we drafted a WR in the first it wouldnt surprise me.

NOTHING surprises me when it comes to the Steelers and drafting, they are so unpredictable.

Tell me one person that guessed we would have drafted Mendy in the first 2 years ago....
Old 03-31-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
Matty™
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16027

Steelers won't be taking a WR in the first, Holmes is not guilty of anything as of right now so what is the big problem???

Holmes will step up to the plate come game one and destroy all secondarys he meets, no need for a rookie WR to crowd his routes
Matty™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty™ View Post
Steelers won't be taking a WR in the first, Holmes is not guilty of anything as of right now so what is the big problem???

Holmes will step up to the plate come game one and destroy all secondarys he meets, no need for a rookie WR to crowd his routes
Keep in mind he also got caught smoking the reefer....

They more than likely wont resign Holmes after this season and will resign Woodley.

So this leaves us with Ward (aging) Wallace (stud so far, still not proven), Sweed (pending), ARE, practice squad players....

That is a pretty bad receiving corp....Im not leaving anything out of the question, even after hearing what Colbert has to say. Although if i were to pick a WR in the first, i couldnt tell you who i would want because they all seem to have baggage one way or another.

Also, not like it means a whole lot, but they did bring Benn who is a projected 1st/2nd rounder....

Just bringing a different viewpoint on the draft, if anything it is interesting to talk about .....