Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-30-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Fans May Boo Roethlisberger Now, But They'll Be Back

Fans May Boo Roethlisberger Now, But They'll Be Back

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/03/30/f...heyll-be-back/
3/30/2010 8:56 PM ET
By JJ Cooper

Ben RoethlisbergerFor a two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger isn't very popular these days.

USA Today has posted a story that argues that Steelers fans have gotten very frustrated with Pittsburgh's quarterback. That's very apparent if you listen to any Steelers' sports talk show where fan after fan has blistered Roethlisberger's lack of judgement.

Many fans arguments don't even revolve around Roethlisberger's guilt or innocence from sexual assault allegations that as of yet have not resulted in criminal charges. They're mad that Roethlisberger would even put himself in a situation that could lead to allegations when he already has a civil case for allegations of sex assault hanging over his head. As sports agent Ralph Cindrich, who lives in Pittsburgh, explained to USA Today:

"He doesn't have any judgment," Cindrich said. "He is definitely, in the eyes of the law, not guilty (at this stage of the case). Still, you have to question his judgment with a 20-year-old college student. ... Where is your mind? I don't think there's any question that Ben has lost the city. The Rooney family is just on hold trying to see what the facts are. But there isn't a bank of goodwill that Ben has to go to."

When Cindrich says he's lost the city, he may be accurate but only in the short-term. Steelers fans may be fed up with Roethlisberger. Steelers fans, me included, may dream of an offseason that doesn't involve Roethlisberger taking a header off of a motorcycle or facing sex assault allegations. But if Roethlisberger isn't in jail or suspended come September, we'll all be rooting for him to go 25-for-30 against the Ravens. We're sports fans and that's part of what comes with the territory. It may make you feel a little sleazy, but when it comes to pro sports teams and moral victories, fans generally are more interested in what happens on the field. You don't find many Lakers fans who complain that their 2009 title is tainted because Kobe Bryant settled a sexual assault case out of court, and you won't find Yankees fan who feel their World Series win last year was sullied by Alex Rodriguez's admitted steroid use.

Roethlisberger has lost a lot of respect and will very possibly lose some endorsements because of his latest troubles, but if he's not found guilty of a crime, it's baffling to believe that Steelers fans won't be cheering him on as long as he plays like he did in 2009.

Many Steelers fans may think that Roethlisberger's problems have taken away a moral superiority we had over teams like the Bengals and Ravens, but the reality is that Pittsburgh has had its own problems over the years. The Steelers may try to "do things the right way," but that motto only extends so far. And the reality is that Pittsburgh, like every other team, has seen it's share of players who have had plenty of problems.

Ernie Holmes was a great defensive tackle for the 70's Steelers--he picked up two Super Bowl rings as the mountain in the middle that helped free up Joe Greene, Dwight White and L.C. Greenwood to rush the passer. He also went crazy in 1973, firing at a police helicopter and wounding a cop--it didn't stop the Steelers from sticking him right back in the lineup when he got out of the psychiatric ward.

When first-round pick Tim Worley was suspended for cocaine in 1991, the Steelers kept him around. They also held onto him through his year-long second suspension before trading him away midway through the 1993 season. Linebacker James Harrison faced assault charges in 2008, but those were dropped because he took an anger management class. Linebacker Clark Haggans spent 10 days in jail after being found guilty of driving while impaired.

You could find similar legal troubles for any other NFL team, but that just emphasizes that the Steelers aren't playing to a separate standard.. It is true that Pittsburgh takes players off its draft board because of concerns about their makeup and they won't sign Terrell Owens to a contract, but once they draft or sign a player, Pittsburgh will keep them around as long as they are a quality player, whether they have legal troubles or not.

So Roethlisberger may be losing in the court of public opinion this March, but unless he ends up losing in a real court, this latest batch of problems will be highly unlikely to affect his long-term standing in Pittsburgh.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:44 AM   #2
Cinnjerm
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15785
Default Re: Fans May Boo Roethlisberger Now, But They'll Be Back

Yeah, all this talk about fans abandoning Ben already, I'm like," Have you people forgotten what this dude has done that fast?" I mean, people act like parting ways with him at this point in time is something that should be entertained. "Oh yeah, we'll just draft some asshole and everything will be peechy." I'm at a loss for words. Just wait till the regular season when they start blowing teams away like they should have been doing last year. I doubt anyone will be having these talks then. Some of you people are starting sound like eagles fans.
Cinnjerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:09 AM   #3
Spinlcrack
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15041
Angry Re: Fans May Boo Roethlisberger Now, But They'll Be Back

For me, the memory of the Chief and his sons/family are more important than Ben. I want our guys to do the right thing, but realize they often don't .....heard the stories of Lambert back in the day? But, please respect the family. the team and the legacy. We ( the fans) have been here longer than you have, Ben, and we will be here when you are gone. We want you to be our QB, we really do. So, please get your sh%* together.

Seriously.
Spinlcrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:46 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,885 Times in 1,628 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I am sure he will get some boos but one needs to remember if he is not guilty of what he is accused of then he should loose no respect.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:27 AM   #5
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802
My Mood: Cheeky

Quote:
"Steelers fans may be fed up with Roethlisberger. Steelers fans, me included, may dream of an offseason that doesn't involve Roethlisberger taking a header off of a motorcycle or facing sex assault allegations. But if Roethlisberger isn't in jail or suspended come September, we'll all be rooting for him to go 25-for-30 against the Ravens. "
^^ I'd say that this prediction will probably end up being pretty accurate.

I'm personally more than a little tired of "Ben being Ben", but, the thing is, when Ben's out on the field, I still think he's one of the single best Quarterbacks in the NFL. That's why this whole fiasco pains me so much - I hate having to emotionally/mentally separate the very talented Ben that I often see on the field from the exceptionally unwise Ben getting head in a restroom. Here's hoping that maybe this will finally be the catalyst for good that we've all been hoping for so long to see.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
steeldawg
Starter

Member Number: 13605

I love how people are so outraged he was with a 20 year old. Who cares i doubt ben knew her age before he hooked up with her. besides ben is only 28 and she is of legal age.
steeldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802
My Mood: Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
I love how people are so outraged he was with a 20 year old. Who cares i doubt ben knew her age before he hooked up with her. besides ben is only 28 and she is of legal age.
I'm not outraged by it - by any definition, she was legal. Still, I think the age thing is still taboo for a lot of people, especially since she has been portrayed as a "20 year old college student". I think just seeing the word "student" turns some people off.

I dunno, it's not the age really - it's just the fact that I really kind of think Ben could probably do better haha.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
skinart82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3485

People have to remember that this IS a Business, not a church.
skinart82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Im tired of the situations themselves and fans jumping all over him accusing him of this stuff when he never gets convicted for any of this. I myself will not boo our QB and will be cheering him on like any season to go out there and win games for our Steelers.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:30 PM   #10
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I'll boo the hell out of him if he throws an ill timed interception. That's for certain!

Or if he fumbles when being sacked. I'll be screaming at him as if he just kicked my dog!