Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Tim Tebow an NFL QB? Fail.

No surprise here...he's a FB or H-back at the next level, maybe even a safety, because there's no doubt he's an athlete. Just not a QB.*****

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...n=ncaaf,215726

On top of the technical issues NFL scouts have with Tim Tebow as a prospective pro quarterback, there's also the standard next-level complaint about "the system" -- specifically, among other things, that Tebow spent the entirety of his college career at Florida taking snaps from the shotgun, never from under center, even in short-yardage situations. That seemingly minor qualm opens up an entirely new avenue of doubts about his ability to adjust to basic mechanics like footwork and turning his back to the defense, fundamentals most quarterbacks have converted to second nature long before they show up for NFL auditions (or, in most cases, before they ever set foot in an actual college game). Florida tried to address that last year by hiring respected quarterbacks coach Scott Loeffler from the pro ranks, practicing with Tebow under center and having him take a handful of "conventional" snaps in a few games, all with an eye to making the most celebrated college player in modern history a more viable prospect to the skeptics. But when he showed up Monday for the first day of heavy scrutiny at the Senior Bowl, all the old alarm bells started ringing at maximum volume -- Tebow reportedly flubbed his first snap from center, and it only got uglier from there:
Performing drills with fellow South team quarterbacks Zac Robinson of Oklahoma State and Jarrett Brown of West Virginia, Tebow fumbled the ball at least twice while taking snaps under center.
Later in team drills, Tebow fell into his same old habits — holding onto the ball too long, locking onto receivers and throwing wobbly passes.
The scouts noticed.
"He looks like the third QB out there," one NFC South talent evaluator said.
Of course, the two QBs in front of him, Robinson and Brown, also come from shotgun-based spread schemes that featured a steady dose of quarterback-as-runner, and former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach -- as prominent an acolyte of the "college spread" as you can find -- hilariously mocked the NFL mantra when his prolific protegé, Graham Harrell, met with failing grades from the scouts last spring. ("How could you possibly look yourself in the mirror and consider yourself an NFL coach and not be able to teach a guy to run back three steps, five steps and seven steps? I can teach a child that!") Longtime coach and quarterback guru Marc Trestman, who worked with Tebow to prepare for this week, said he didn't think Tebow looked bad enough to hurt himself; Miami Dolphins coach Tony Sparano, overseeing the South roster, said Tebow improved over the course of the practice. If nothing else, he's already well on his way to replacing Brett Favre's spot in Peter King's heart in the league's most influential weekly column.
But for a guy who needed a knockout week, the initial reviews are unadulterated fuel for the haters. Handling the snap is supposed to be the easy part of the transition; if he's still struggling with the basic exchange on national television this Saturday, we won't be hearing the end of it anytime soon.

****More quotes via tweeting:
Scouts Inc on Tebow Day 1: Awkward. He fumbled snaps, took false steps in his drops & had trouble setting his feet at the top of his drops.

Crowd heckling Tebow a bit for overthrows. He's a long way from the Swamp - and the comfort of the shotgun.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222
Default Re: Tim Tebow an NFL QB? Fail.

OOPS!

I just posted this in the NCAA forum---didn't see it here. My apologies

Still funny, though.

TIMMAH!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

why do people hate him so much.

give the guy a break, what if you guys were in his place, i would hope your mental stability breaks down.

Last edited by HometownGal; 01-29-2010 at 06:53 AM.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post

give the guy a fing break, what if you guys were in his place, i would hope your mental stability breaks down.

Who said anything about hate? There's nothing hateful about properly assessing the abilities, or lack thereof, of a particular player.

I think Sweed is a complete bust. It has NOTHING to do with like or hate, NOTHING to do with what school he attended. He simply has done nothing after two seasons. That's almost the quintessential definition of a bust, yet somehow I'm accused of all kinds of nonsense simply for pointing out the rather obvious fact. Tebow is no different...

I don't understand why the emotions have to get all mixed up in this. Tebow is NOT an NFL QB. That's all....
Old 01-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
SteelerNation12
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15759

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa_fly_steeler View Post

give the guy a break, what if you guys were in his place, i would hope your mental stability breaks down.
Would be better off than him I wouldn't want men rubbing and kissing me head while I cry because we lost a game.

Last edited by HometownGal; 01-29-2010 at 06:54 AM.
SteelerNation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:42 AM   #6
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332

We haven't seen Tebow play yet, therefore he might not be a bust because he might even go in the 5th round as a backup quarterback... and do an ok job at that

im reserving my judgement until he starts stinking up the field.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:53 AM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Tebow progresses on second day of practice
1/26/2010 8:48:14 PM

The Associated Press reports quarterback Tim Tebow showed progress on his second day of Senior Bowl practices even though he might have been "a little under the weather."

South team coach Tony Sparano of the Miami Dolphins says the former Florida star was a little more comfortable and got the ball out of his hand quicker on Tuesday. Sparano says that improvement shows how smart Tebow is and how quickly he processes information.

Senior Bowl spokesman Kevin McDermond said Tebow "might be a little under the weather," but added that he doesn't have strep throat as had been reported. Tebow hasn't missed any practice time Monday or Tuesday.
http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription.aspx?EntryId=2819
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:11 AM   #8
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Who said anything about hate? There's nothing hateful about properly assessing the abilities, or lack thereof, of a particular player.

I think Sweed is a complete bust. It has NOTHING to do with like or hate, NOTHING to do with what school he attended. He simply has done nothing after two seasons. That's almost the quintessential definition of a bust, yet somehow I'm accused of all kinds of nonsense simply for pointing out the rather obvious fact. Tebow is no different...

I don't understand why the emotions have to get all mixed up in this. Tebow is NOT an NFL QB. That's all....
If I was a betting man....I would say that emotions HAVE become a part of this. You tend to lean against anything religious...and I would hazard a quess that the uber-religious Tebow rubs you the wrong way.

Just an observation.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
If I was a betting man....I would say that emotions HAVE become a part of this. You tend to lean against anything religious...and I would hazard a quess that the uber-religious Tebow rubs you the wrong way.

Just an observation.
Wow...talk about a reach. Let me repeat and add a caveat.

This has nothing to do with hate. Nor with the school he attends. Or religion.

I said the same thing about Graham Harrell last year. The same thing about Colt Brennan a few years back. I don't believe I have anything against UH or TT, or those individuals...the only commonality is that they were successful college QB's who lack what it takes to play the position on Sundays. That's a cold, emotionless fact....
Old 01-27-2010, 08:47 AM   #10
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Can Tebow become a good pro-style quarterback? Yes, it's a possibility. He's a hard worker and he's coachable, so it's possible for him to fix his flaws and become a good, solid pro-style QB.

There is also the chance since he has NEVER taken a snap from under center (not once in high school or at Florida did Tebow ever take a snap out of anything other than the shotgun), and that his coaches never saw a need to fix his bad mechanics, that he may never become a decent pro-style QB.

I for one have never thought of Tebow as a great quarterback. A great leader? Yes. A great football player? Yes. But as for a gifted quarterback I always kind of looked at him like a white Micheal Vick, only Micheal Vick had great arm strength.

Tebow ran a lot at Florida. He can't do that in the NFL and be successful. Running at times (Roethlisberger, McNabb, late career Steve Young) is fine. But being known more for your running skills than your passing skills (Vick, Vince Young) isn't going to get you picked in the first round, and most times not in the second round either. I know Vick and Vince Young were first round picks, but neither of them have been looked upon as being a success and therefore I don't see NFL teams taking a player with those skill sets and spending a first rounder on them. A quarterback's job #1 in the NFL is to THROW THE FOOTBALL.

Often when I would watch a Florida football game, Tebow would show horrible mechanics in his throwing motion. In his wind up, he drops the ball to his knees like Byron Leftwich, and Lefty had never been really considered a successful NFL QB and is now thought of nothing but a backup QB. Tebow also throws a very fluttery ball, almost a "wounded duck". That's large part due to his throwing mechanics. If he doesn't fix this, he won't be a QB in the NFL, at least not a high round starting QB.

So like I said, he could work very hard to fix his flaws and become a very good, solid pro-style QB. He said he can, and when he puts his mind to something, there's no doubt that he's going to do his best to get it done. He has all the intangibles to be a very good QB in the NFL. Hard worker, excellent leader.

But he will need to work harder than possibly ever to fix his flaws enough to warrant a first (or even second) round selection as a quarterback. He has the Senior Bowl practices and game, the NFL Combine, his Pro Day.

The only team I can see possibly taking him in the first or second round as a quarterback if he doesn't show vast improvement in his flaws is the Jacksonville Jaguars. To keep the franchise in Jacksonville they need to sell that stadium out on a weekly basis and Tebow has quite a following in Florida where he has played his entire football career. But this would be the worst case scenario for Tebow because Jacksonville/Tebow fans would want him in the field ASAP, so the first bad game from Garrard would warrant Tebow chants from that day forward, if not from the first day of training camp forward.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote